Errors after running script (dleidert/openmediavault-upgrade) to upgrade from OMV4 to OMV5

• I followed the instructions on this page to upgrade from OMV4 to OMV5. Unfortunately, there were some errors at the end of the script. I still have a screen session attached and have not rebooted the system. Just curious if my setup is salvageable or not. I really don't know where to go from here. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attached is my log file from the attempted upgrade.

omv_release_upgrade_to_buster.2020-12-31-150829.txt

EDIT: Did a lot of digging and determined the system was pretty hosed. Decided to do a fresh install. Thank you.

• KM0201

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • The first error I see is:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/openmediavault-luksencryption.postrm: 6: .: Can't open /usr/share/openmediavault/scripts/helper-functions

are you familiar with bash commands to check permissions for the referenced file?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• The first error I see is:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/openmediavault-luksencryption.postrm: 6: .: Can't open /usr/share/openmediavault/scripts/helper-functions

are you familiar with bash commands to check permissions for the referenced file?

I am. However, I did quite a bit of digging last night and determined the OMV got pretty hosed. I decided to just do a fresh install (this allowed me to make some changes I've been meaning to do anyways). Thank you anyways.

• vimusr

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • I followed the instructions on this page to upgrade from OMV4 to OMV5. Unfortunately, there were some errors at the end of the script. I still have a screen session attached and have not rebooted the system. Just curious if my setup is salvageable or not.

What I can see from your log is that for some (yet unknown) reason openmediavault didn't get upgraded during the dist-upgrade attempt and instead it got removed while openmediavault-omvextrasorg was attempted to be removed and then reinstalled. Because of this issue you got the error you saw. The system would have been salvageable though. I'm trying to recreate the exact conditions.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Because of this issue you got the error you saw.

That is not fair to blame the plugin for this situation. As I said in the issue, this would have happened to any plugin (including core plugins) if they were removed after openmediavault itself was removed. Not being able to see the log to provide more input, the true issue is whatever caused the openmediavault package to be removed.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That is not fair to blame the plugin for this situation.

There is a misunderstanding. I don't blame the plugin for the whole situation. Sorry if that is your impression. The situation is quite weird tbh. I just wanted to say that the error shown is the result of the linked issue. But the linked issue did not cause the real problem.

So this is what happened on the users system (the log is BTW linked in thread opener):

On the last apt-get upgrade (run.d/60-apt-upgrade) is says (lines 4828/4829):

Code
    The following packages have been kept back:
      [..] openmediavault <some openmediavaut-plugins> [..]

That's perfectly expected here. Up to here only small upgrades were done. In the next step, when apt-get dist-upgrade (run.d/80-apt-dist-upgrade) shall upgrade everything else apt now reports (line 5219):

Code
    The following packages have been kept back:
      [..] <some openmediavaut-plugins> [..]

The openmediavault package has vanished from any of the lists. Nothing happened to it though, no removal nor anything else. That doesn't make any sense to me. It is like apt suddenly not knowing about the upgradable version of openmediavault anymore. So the plugins cannot be upgraded either. Then the removal of resolvconf (post.d/10-reinstall-omvextras) forces the removal of omv4.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!