(Solved)Updates not installing

• Hi guys....:)

A few weeks ago I took the plunge and built a pfsense router....

I have allowed all traffic on my home network and most of my computers haven't a problem.....but can't seem to update my omv servers?

I get the same error from all of them "couldn't resolve deb.debian.org?

I have a standard installation of Debian on my work server and that has no problem...

Does anyone have any ideas.

I have even reserved all of my computers in prsense...

Why am not being able to update my servers...I have seven with the same problem....

bookie56

P.S should have said that I have 5.5.6-1

Sorry this should have been posted in General....

• Does your system get the network setting via DHCP or have you configured IP, gateway, etc.? If it gets it via DHCP you should check the contents of /etc/resolv.conf and also if this is a file or a symlink and where it points to. If you have configured the settings by hand maybe you missed to add the DNS server(s) to use?

• Hi dieidert😀

I have them set on dhcp and allocated ip's by pfsense as reserved mac addresses with as I had with dd-wrt. I can check /etc/resoive.conf A bit strange. When I added them to pfsense I gave them new ip's but that was no problem after running omv-firstaid.

• Hi guys!

Thanks for helping...

OK...

I, as I stated above, have pfSense as my router. I am using the built in network card for WAN and have an Intel Quad Port card for my networks...

I have been trying to get around to setting up my office at home so that my private network doesn't overlap my company one....

So, I have set up LAN_PRIVATE and WIFI_PRIVATE and the same for my company....LAN_COMPANY and WFI_COMPANY...each of these networks is a subnet.

Both of the Wifi networks are physically connected to their own Access Points.

I have set up aliases for my networks so that the Private networks do not talk to the Company ones.....

This is working fine...

Just that my OMV servers doesn't seem to want to work with the new firewalls DNS?

When I checked the /etc/resolv.conf it is still using my old firewalls gateway....?

I hear you SinE (don't have a pi-hole running on my network and I shouldn't need to set up this manually?

With the initial installation of OMV via dhcp it gets its settings then and that works fine....

I have already run OMV-Firstaid to force the new network IPs to be found and that also works fine...

As I said before...I have reserved my whole network as before with dd-wrt...

Just seems strange I have to set my DNS manually now...

Any thoughts?

bookie56

• Hi dieidert:)

I thought I already had...

It points as I have already said to my old routers gateway.

I have tried to implement via web interface a static IP even if my router sends out dhcp...that didn't work....

I tried to set it via omv-firstaid to a static IP but that didn't work....

bookie56

• The file is AFAIK not handled automatically (network-manager AFAIK handles it though). So one has to maintain it manually. However there are services which can maintain the file automatically. In this case the file would have been a symlink. That's why I asked to check its status. These services are the resolvconf package and and network-manager of course. And there is a systemd service to handle it:

sudo systemctl enable systemd-resolved.service

sudo systemctl start systemd-resolved.service

Then you can check if /var/run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf has the DNS settings you expect. If yes create the symlink manually:

sudo mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.bak

sudo ln -s /var/run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

I have the impression that resolvconf is not wanted in a OMV5 environment (the original upgrade script removes this package for reasons I don't know). So I'd go with the systemd service.

• Hi again dleidert:)

I apologise for not giving you the exact readouts of the commands....

The systemd service is now running with the right information nameserver information...

I will confess to loving Linux but not having the indepth knowledge that you have...

Work on a daily basis with fixing problems with Windows....so never quite have enough time over....anyone dealing with the crap Windows 10 knows what I mean8o.

I appreciate your patience and help!

bookie56

• bookie56

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Updates not installing“ zu „(Solved)Updates not installing“ geändert.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!