rsync from local linux mint to RPI with intallaed OMV5 copies files into /run/user/1000

• Offizieller Beitrag

This will be a long post, as I'll try to be thorough... The way my backups work, I don't feel I need version backups remotely, so I've never tried to do it with Syncthing (although the documentation says it works, if it doesn't there's other options like rsnapshot, etc)...

My setup might seem a little confusing, and while it's probably not as good as rsnapshot or another versioned backup. Some might even say it isn't "automated" enough, and I'd agree... but that is partly why I like it. I've used this setup for several years and it works well for me. It has saved me from data loss a couple times... which is the whole point of a backup.

In my scenario:

Drives A & B, are my "working" drives. Basically where all my data is, container data is here, new stuff is added and modified, serves data to clients, etc.

Drives C & D are an "internal backup". These drives are in the same physical server as A & B. They sync once a day via rsync. This rsync job has the delete trigger turned off. So if I'm making lots of changes, etc.. to A & B, it is not uncommon to have multiple copies of something on drives C & D. Usually this is simple stuff. For instance, I just rewrote all my docker-compose files with symlinks about a month ago.. right now I have 2-3 copies of those on C & D, since it was a process that took me a couple days due to work, testing my new compose files, etc.. Occasionally if I delete a movie or entire TV series from A & B, it will remain on C&D for a while and the file system sizes will be a bit more noticeably different from A & B... but I would say for the most part, this is pretty uncommon for my work flow. Short of being used as this internal backup, C & D are not used in any service, etc.

My remote backup, we'll call drives E & F, sync to drives C & D with Syncthing. Since drives C & D are my internal backup, again it's not uncommon to have multiple copies of data that has changed, on my Syncthing backup.

Once a month or so, I'll go through and check my differences between A & B and C & D. As I said, for my data flow, most of the time the differences are pretty subtle and I usually know what they are (in the case of my docker-compose files right now). Once I check the backup drives and I know nothing crazy is going on (ie, it's synced multiple copies of a file that I know I didn't change, this would mean an issue with Drives A or B). Once I've verified all is in order, I enable the delete trigger on the rsync job, and run it manually. This brings A & B and C & D completely in sync. In turn, once it finishes, C & D will then sync to E & F, bringing everything 100% in sync. Once it's all done, I disable the delete trigger on my rsync job again.

In the event of an accidentally deleted file, etc.. from A & B, I can just SSH my system, and copy the file from C & D. In the event I've accidentally lost something on A & B, and C & D failed for some reason, the data should still be on E & F. In the event of a major issue (Fire, Flood, etc.) where I lose A, B, C, and D... My data should be reasonably up to date remotely on E and F.

Beyond that, the only thing I really do is check my rsync logs every night, and make sure nothing super crazy happened between A & B and C & D.

Hope that makes sense.

• Nice!

unfortunately in my case I am looking for backing up my laptop. I dont have space for a C&D drive.

But I like your configurations.

• I did, quite a while ago I was very busy with it.
    I found it a very good and powerful too.

Here is my issue and why I dropped it for now:

Once the system is setup for backup. And I even do a snapshot of the system. All is in order and safe for rescue.

Here comes the issue: If a rescue is needed, is not just an installation and restore the backup using some sort of password ..

The urbackup requires a more elaborate configuration (I think some code that gave at the beginning and mostly I neglected to save somewhere. And even that, years later I probably forgot where I have the codes) to let it understand I am the same user that wants to restore the system or just the files I want.

Moreover, since my OMV is on a enclosure with a raspberry pi 4b and the ssd is mounted inside, I cant just take the disk and use the image as a virtual disk ...

At the end I found it too complicated and moved on to other alternatives.
    Never found a very nice backup system as urbackup... but I could get my data back much easier.

When I post about it, no one really had a complete live scenario to restore the backup and I figure theory if great but practice is what it counts after all.

Surely I am wrong somewhere.

I did try to reinstall urbackup on a new system, and I failed to establish connection to my previews backup.

Sorry for long answer. I felt I needed to expand my response.

I will look at it and I hope they made it easier for users to reconnect a backup on a new system

• Were your experiences with file backup or image backup?

Actually both. But both are under same user.
    Its now a while ago... my memories are fading away...

I used to have files backup for possible restoring possible deleted files. And images in case I had to restore the all laptop.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Restoring files is really easy. Individual files can be restored from the GUI.

Complete folders or the complete backup can be restored e.g. using rsync or making the folders available via smb.

To restore an image there is a CD image that supports you. But I have not tried that.

https://www.urbackup.org/admin…ion_manual.html#x1-840009

• true, but my issue is not when all is up and running and urbackup is configured.

The issue comes if I now decided to format my laptop.. (or my SSD dies and I buy a new one) and reinstall linux and urbackup and at this point I want to connect to my old file backup.

Thats when things go wrong

• This is the old post here in OMV:

URBACKUP restore to a new installation/client

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your backup is on your data disk. You can access it without UrBackup or OMV. Just connect the drive to a computer that can read the filesystem and you have access.

If you have OMV running, you can create a shared folder pointing at the backup and add the shared folder to smb. Then you can access your data even through smb. Same with nfs.

Or you use ssh to connect.

• Your backup is on your data disk. You can access it without UrBackup or OMV. Just connect the drive to a computer that can read the filesystem and you have access.

If you have OMV running, you can create a shared folder pointing at the backup and add the shared folder to smb. Then you can access your data even through smb. Same with nfs.

Or you use ssh to connect.

You suggesting to share the folder where I backup so to access it manually and not via urbackup?

(as i cannot remember that), are the files not compressed or else? I can just map the share and copy what I need?

Than delete everything and start a new backup strategy?

• Yes, that is possible.

The files are not compressed and not encrypted. They are "just" de-duplicated on file level using symlinks.

I must have overlooked that.
    Its a decent solution if it keeps the folder structure too.

I will look at it again than.
    But I hope that urbackup will implement a easy way to reinstall the client and connect to the server and be recognized as the owner of the previews backup.

Thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nice!

unfortunately in my case I am looking for backing up my laptop. I dont have space for a C&D drive.

But I like your configurations.

That really doesn't matter. I use a laptop as well. I keep very very little on my client machines.. Almost everything is on the server.

A would be your laptop.

B would be a drive on your server.

You can add a drive C to your server, or create an offsite backup with drive C if you like.

• You could probably set it to 192.168.1.0/24 (assuming your router is 192.168.1.1).. That would probably allow any client on the network to write to it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!