LUKS + UnionFS

• Hello everybody,

im runnin Debian 10 on a Helios64 NAS.

My goal is it to create an expandable pool of various disks.

Therefore JBOD and RAID0 is out of the picture and the only practicable option is to use UnionFS.

But im having an issue, when i encrypt all of the disks individually with LUKS and create the pool its fine, but after a reboot, the entire system doesnt come up anymore.

Do anybody have an idea how to fix that and create the pool with encryption?

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Vin

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do anybody have an idea how to fix that and create the pool with encryption?

There are a few threads about this. Basically, don't use LUKS unless you have auto-unlock setup. Because the device doesn't exist until it is unlocked, mergerfs can't mount and the system goes to recovery mode. You could try the mergerfsfolders plugin because it is just using folders. I haven't tried though.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I have created a pool of 5 disks, each encrypted separately. After reboot I have to manually unlock each disk in the OMV GUI.

After unlocking, they get automatically mounted and are part of my mergerfs Pool.

I also have a Snapraid array on top of the disks which works well.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

OMV5 on ProLiant N54L (AMD CPU)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try adding nofail to the options. Something changed with mergerfs where nofail is passed to the kernel. i will be adding it back to the plugin but you can add it manually in the options.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I am booting from USB stick / SSD card. The disks are exclusive for omv data.

Once omv has booted, I unlock the disks and they are automatically mounted and available.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Try adding nofail to the options. Something changed with mergerfs where nofail is passed to the kernel. i will be adding it back to the plugin but you can add it manually in the options.

Thanks for your explaination, but i dont quite understand in which options? directly in fstab, or somewhere in OMV?

I am booting from USB stick / SSD card. The disks are exclusive for omv data.

Once omv has booted, I unlock the disks and they are automatically mounted and available.

Same for me, i booted from the eMMC storage, therefore no data was lying on the disks, yet as described the system seemed to crash.

ryecoaarons suggestions probably solves that as the states will be forwarded to the kernel

How did you setup your system? i used the current OMV and just his unionfilesystem plugin without any raid system on it

• Same here. OMV5 and Union Plugin, no RAID.

I use Snapraid on top but that works on file level and is only active once per day so does not interfere.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Offizieller Beitrag

i dont quite understand in which options? directly in fstab, or somewhere in OMV?

each mergerfs pool in the plugin has an options box when you set it up. You can add it there.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just tried with LUKS enabled, still doesnt boot up

As I mentioned before, I don't know if it will every work with LUKS without auto-unlock because the device doesn't exist until it is unlocked. Even if I re-wrote the entire plugin, I'm not sure it would help. Did you try the mergerfsfolders plugin?

• i tried mergerfs folders but getting an error message

And this is my fstab

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try removing the nofail option. It should work but doesn't seem to on your system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ah, I think I see what you did. You had a space between the comma and nofail. There can be no spaces. I guess I will have the plugin remove any spaces.

• unfortunately did not help to remove the space

• Offizieller Beitrag

Post of a screenshot of your mergerfs config.

• rv4haydp.png

• Offizieller Beitrag

That isn't really the config. Can you take a screenshot of what you see when you edit your pool?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!