Inspiron Laptop NAS 'Xenops'

• Made my NAS system from an old c.2006 Inspiron 9400 laptop. By the time I replaced it in 2012, it could hardly keep up running WinXP and watching a YouTube video. Removed the LCD, and now have it sitting out of sight behind my main desktop PC monitor array. Working great as a OMV NAS server now with some external HDDs attached via eSATA and Firewire.

0.5.34 (Sardaukar)
    Linux version 3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz
    2GB RAM

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use%
    sdc1 36G 2.7G 31G 8% System drive
    sda1 1.9T 1.3T 633G 67% eSATA
    sdb1 1.9T 1.3T 630G 67% eSATA
    sdd1 466G 3.3G 463G 1% FW400

Use it primarily as a network file server, DLNA media server, Owncloud, SABNZB+/Sickbeard usenet downloader, and remote file server via SCP with a DynDNS account.

• Something like that just makes my shake my head. But yes, nice recycling.

Quote from "0rtega"

Nice setup :)

You can expand your storage with other external drives ? or you have already maxed out your expansion options ?

p.s.: sorry for my english, i'm from italy

One USB Port can handle up to 127 devices ( minus USB Hubs ).

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• If it suits your needs, its just fine. Of course it keeps costs down etc.

But personally I would never do it.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Quote from "0rtega"

Nice setup :)
    You can expand your storage with other external drives ? or you have already maxed out your expansion options ?

I think I have maxed out my hi-speed connections using the one Firewire 400 port, and a ExpressCard two-eSATA port. If I want to expand later I can try daisy chaining Firewire drives, or add more USB devices. It has 6 USB2.0 Ports.

Quote from "0rtega"

For you is better build from scratch a new system NAS instead of using old hardware like this ?

Quote from "davidh2k"

If it suits your needs, its just fine. Of course it keeps costs down etc.
    But personally I would never do it.

Indeed the cost on this was minimal. The laptop was not really usable as a laptop anymore due to it's age and size (17"!), and I have replaced those external drives so no longer use them with my laptop and desktop. The Inspiron had a fan die a few years ago, and also the original hard drive crashed recently, replaced both of those. The battery is also at the end of it's life and only lasts a few minutes without AC power. But other then that it is in good health and I expect to get hopefully a few more years of use out of it. The only money I spent to get this going as a NAS setup was a few dollars for some eSATA cables, the the $20 2xeSATA ExpressCard Port and a few dollars on that wood stand that I found at a thrift store. :)

If some parts and drives fail, I can replace them and primarily just lose access temporarily to my movies and TV shows. It actually will be interesting to see how many years of life I can get out of this, and how much I can expand it.

• The 17inch LCD that came off of this is still in perfect shape aswell. Not sure what I want to do with it. Lots of guides on the internet in adding a controller and turning a detached laptop LCD into an external monitor, or a touch screen tablet, or whatever. Have not found any that are worth the effort or cost though.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!