Should I be upgrading Linux Kernels?

• Right now I am using Linux Mint 18.1 on 4.4.0-66, however 4.8.0-46 and 4.10.0-14 is available.

I have looked at sites like KernelNewbies to try to understand what features are on each release, however it isn't clear what i am gaining from moving lets say from 4.4 to 4.10

What is the general consensus on updating or upgrading Kernels?

Thanks,

Jamuna.

• Thats really a general Linux question than an OMV question. That said I've used Linux as my only OS at home for years and I have never went out of my way to upgrade my kernel, unless it was documented to solve some problem I was having.

Unless it's going to solve some specific issue.. i don't go out of my way to install them, and just use whichever one my distribution (Xubuntu) pushes as stable. Only other time I use an upgraded kernel is if a regular update pulls a new kernel, then 'll use it..

Edit:. It does look like Mint 18.1 will be going EOL in a couple of months. Assuming you're wanting to stay with an LTS (which always puts stability over bleeding edge) so you might want to consider an upgrade to 20.01

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

• The kernel 4.8 and 4.10 are end of life for Linux Mint, you won't get updates any more.

The kernel 4.4 is a long term supportet kernel and still alive, the current kernel is now 4.4.0-2XX. The only thing you have to do is an update, the best way is the Linux Mint Tool "Aktualisierungsverwaltung", sorry I don't know the English word.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!