forum software & usage

• Offizieller Beitrag

that's not what I suggested. Wortlab forum software can store pictures and log files within a post, hence there is no need for external links.

I would configure the forum software to not accept external URL links (except to a defined list of known good sites)

I disagree w/ this as well. There's been plenty of people who have asked for help and posted perfectly legitimate links to either some Debian tutorial/blog type site, reddit, youtube videos, etc. when asking for help and showing instructions they've followed, fixes they've tried, etc.. There's no way you could block all that out and still keep the forum user friendly.

I think it was brought up earlier, but again.. this site is users supporting users. It always has been and my hope is it always will be. This isn't a kernel developers mailing list where almost everyone is up to speed on what they are doing and minor disagreements end in swearing and personal insults

• ok, taking your comments on board.

A related topic is the process for creating issues on github(GH).

Some time ago I opened https://github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues/886 with the goal to improve focus for developers

2 actions have been performed already to achieve it.

I hoped mods are aware of them but to make sure we are getting to an agreement better later than never, I'm mentioning them now.

1) an improved .github/ISSUE_TEMPLATE/bug_report.md

with the statements;

**Please only open an issue here, when advised by a moderator in openmediavault forum.**

Requests for support and questions shall be addressed first to openmediavault forum: https://forum.openmediavault.org/

**Note:** Issues for non-core plugins are to be raised in the corresponding https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers repository

2) step is an improved GH OMV project README.md

pointing to documentation & forum

Please comment.

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Bye, I don't care if you leave or I do

I'm sorry but really don't understand the comment you made.

Wires seem to be crossed.

the forum will be exactly as before, the change is only affecting github users that didn't know about the forum.

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm sorry but really don't understand the comment you made.

Wires seem to be crossed.

the forum will be exactly as before, the change is only affecting github users that didn't know about the forum.

How many users actually post a problem on github, before posting on the forum? I'm going to guess very very few.

• Offizieller Beitrag

"issues for non core plugins" are to be raised in github!! Why?

Quote "questions not related to omv is just noise"

You want to make some sort of fundamental change to this forum and I for one cannot understand why, this forum just 'works' it's a 'user based community support forum' yet for whatever reason you're suggesting that the way ahead it to change that, why?

I've read your #62 and TBH I'm not aware of those changes/suggestions or proposed changes. TBH I don't have to use omv, for my needs I can set up an ubuntu server, but this forum means something, I'm trying to understand why it's necessary to reinvent the wheel.

You will get users who use github and users who use this forum, github users I find are one's who know about and are experiencing a technical problem which their own experience cannot resolve. Here i.e. the forum is for your average Jo Blogs who's never used a NAS before let alone set one up.

I go back your comment about "noise" as far as I'm concerned nothing is noise when someone is having an issue they cannot understand or resolve, this is where the forum scores.

I'm going to stand against you on this because this is one way to move users away from using this software.

• You will get users who use github and users who use this forum, github users I find are one's who know about and are experiencing a technical problem which their own experience cannot resolve. Here i.e. the forum is for your average Jo Blogs who's never used a NAS before let alone set one up.

I am going to jump back in here, as a new user who has very little experience, to support this. There are lots of users that will not go near github as its always too technical - me included. I feel that most of what I read there is usually directed above my level of understanding and I get the feeling that if I posted there, it wouldn't be received too well. I might be wrong, but, in any case, I wouldn't feel comfortable there.

Here is different. Apart from the very odd, and I mean, very odd unhelpful member, this place is full of friendly and helpful people. What I also like about it is that I get the impression that people will soon tire of you if you look like you're not making the effort. This is good, since it encourages learning for those of us that are willing and discourages those that just want someone else to fix all their problems for free, with minimal effort from themselves; its a two-way street.

Though I still have a lot to learn, I feel comfortable doing that here, and I look forward to the day when i can help someone else here, in the same friendly and patient manner that has been shown to me.

The point is that this place works, for those of us with a basic level of understanding and for those beyond that. What's wrong with that and why does it need fixing?

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

omv 6.9.2-1 (Shaitan) | 64 bit | Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.11-amd64 | Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz | Dell PowerEdge R210 8GB RAM

• Offizieller Beitrag

This forum has done nothing but grow in the time I've been here (and I've been here since pretty damn close to the beginning and have went through several software changes). Yes, the search feature is a bit lacking.. I don't think any of us disagree w/ that. To people who the search feature isn't working out for.. they will be the types to fire up Google to find an answer. Others, are going to make a post... and that's fine.. that's what the forum is for. Then your suggestion about basically making a thread like going through a 12 step program... You really think new users are going to do this? All you're doing is making this place less user friendly and making the thought of even joining less appealing.

I don't know what your obsession is with this issue, but my personal feeling is you need to drop it. Although we've went through several variations of this forum.. the core concept has always been the same.. end users helping end users. Not a forum just for dev's, not a forum sys-admins, etc. and nearly every suggestion you have made, has ran counter to that idea. I've seen votdev himself respond to a support thread, realize there was a legit problem and just put the issue on github himself so he can track it, or if the user has a little time, he asks them to do it.

• Situation(as I perceive it):

- initially only Volker had the permission to manage issues on GH

- there were about 50% of open GH issues waiting to be answered & closed

- popularity of OMV for new (formerly Windows) users is growing sharply

- currently I see only 2 active mods for maintaining the forum

- I see clean signs of overload for mods

My conclusion:

- its just a matter of time until the current setup will collapse under the load

Activities taken to prevent the collapse:

1) with focus on GH

- by now 4 people have the permission to close GH issues

- by now less than 70 GH issue are open

- try to establish a new definition: an issue in GH is a confirmed (mostly) technical issue, ready for developers to fix it

What are other suggestions to address this issue for development would anybody see?

2) with focus on forum

- triggered conversations to find additional forum mods

- propose technical changes in forum software to reduce the load (this tread!)

=> I accept in the meantime that this proposal won't fly and get abandoned (fine with me)

leaving the only option to prevent collapse:

Additional forum mods are desperately looked for!

Please consider to accept the role when asked

Quote "questions not related to omv is just noise"

I've publicly stepped back from that statement, please accept this change of mindset!

My statement is now: "reduce noise for developers and avoid frustration for users not getting answers here ('here' means in github!)"

github users I find are one's who know about and are experiencing a technical problem

unfortunately this isn't the case for all GH users any longer

How many users actually post a problem on github, before posting on the forum? I

the number increased and they often asked the same questions as have been answered in the forum already.

With GH adding the feature 'discussions' globally this year the number will drastically increase.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Listen... I have no idea what you're talking about at this point. You seem to want the whole forum to move to github, which has been explained to you multiple times is not practical. You seem to think we need a ton of mods for this forum, which is ridiculous. I know we need more mods.. that is a matter that is currently being addressed (You're aware of that). However, the forum is not going to collapse w/o more moderation, even if it were going to stay more or less me and aaron for the foreseeable future... not even close. I'm not sure what you think Mods do here, but it sounds like your opinion of them (other than aaron) is way over inflated. Most of my time is spent either approving threads from new people or junking spam threads and banning those users. The only time this really bothers me, is when I see a legitimate thread has sat in queue for a while because nobody has been on to approve it. That's really where my hope is the new mods will help, is getting those new threads through and posted so the new users can get help. As I know you've been told, they don't need to be an OMV savant, just people that are reasonably active on the forum and willing to help. The forum itself is fairly civil, so there isn't a need for the constant locking of threads due to infighting, etc... this has been probably one of the more hostile threads on the forum in a while.

Even if everyone I've talked to said no (and a few have said yes, and a few are on the fence or have not responded)... it's not that big of a deal. As you are aware it has been pointed out... the number of mods is not the problem, it's whether they are active on the forum, as we have several that have not been on the forum in over 2yrs.

• You seem to want the whole forum to move to github

no, "- propose technical changes in forum software to reduce the load (this tread!)

=> I accept in the meantime that this proposal won't fly and get abandoned (fine with me)"

the number of mods is not the problem, it's whether they are active on the forum

correct, same I tried to say

• junking spam threads and banning those users.

only this is the "noise" I mean!

• Offizieller Beitrag

only this is the "noise" I mean!

Well, clearly that's not how it was taken or presented... 99% of the those problems of us deletes before it ever gets to the forum, so the average user never even sees it... so I'm not really sure how you're coming up with that now (as that is definitely now how you used it starting this thread)... Now it has ended up with people irritated, offended, etc. I don't see this discussion going much further and staying civil, so lets lock this for now and come back to it later if it's necessary (hopefully not)

• KM0201

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!