What version of Armbian Buster for HC2: Regular or Minimal?

• Hello all,

about to upgrade from OMV4 to 5 and want to do a clean install. The Armbian website offers me two different versions of Buster for the Odroid HC2 to download: the regular version with a 4.14.y Kernel and the Minimal version with a 5.4.y Kernel. Both are considered stable. Which one do I take? Can I use minimal, and if yes, should I?

Thanks

• My intention of asking here was NOT to be the guinea pig :D

Alright, if I have everything ready to start sometime this evening and don't get some clear guidance from someone here until then I will try it out with minimal and the 5.4 kernel.

• get some clear guidance

Can we assume that https://openmediavault.readthe…gle-board-computers-sbc-s was read and didn't result in questions?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• I am working off of a pdf that I got somewhere here called "addendum A: Installing OMV5 on Armbian SBC's". That is basically describing the same thing. Only that I have to substitute all the windows-software used in the guide with the Linux equivalent.... the process is pretty basic, no mystery there, just using it to see if any unusual things have to be considered along the way. Seems not. So that is a yes to your question. The guide just fails to make a mention of the two available options of Armbian Buster (or I failed to find it), and I did not find this info anywhere else.

So my question was rather: is the Buster Minimal missing anything I would need for OMV5, and is it playing nice with the 5.4.83 kernel it comes with?

• is the Buster Minimal missing anything I would need for OMV5, and is it playing nice with the 5.4.83 kernel it comes with?

Can't answer with a clear yes or no, but would assume Armbian is following the approach taken by RaspberryPi foundation, where 'lite' is sufficient.

Anyways if something is reported as "missing" adding it via specific package installation is simple.

So go for "Minimal" is my recommendation

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Offizieller Beitrag

is the Buster Minimal missing anything I would need for OMV5, and is it playing nice with the 5.4.83 kernel it comes with?

Nothing missing. You want Minimal. If you haven’t located it yet on the page, scroll way down near the bottom of the page. I haven’t done an OMV5 install on my HC2 in some time, so I can only guarantee to refund your purchase price of this advise if something goes wrong. In the guide section of the forum, the fourth listing down has the latest guide for installing OMV5 on an arm board.

• Ok, did not have time to pursue this for a while, but did so now. Using the Minimal image worked ok, no issues until now. Thank you for the information. I wanted to keep the downtime as short as possible, as the whole family has become very used to the comforts of network attached storage and services like a DLNA music server. A prolonged interruption of this service would have resulted in unpleasant consequences for me.

..In the guide section of the forum, the fourth listing down has the latest guide for installing OMV5 on an arm board.

Thats exactly the one I was following. But the install is pretty straightforward: check your sd card, download image, check hash, flash image, first boot, ssh update upgrade reboot, ssh run omv install script, after reboot web ui is available (from memory). The guide is useful for default passwords, copying the installscript and so on. Written for Windows users, so you have to find the equivalent tools to use if you are on Linux. Many can be used on both platforms, like Balena Etcher and Putty.

• Hello all,

about to upgrade from OMV4 to 5 and want to do a clean install. The Armbian website offers me two different versions of Buster for the Odroid HC2 to download: the regular version with a 4.14.y Kernel and the Minimal version with a 5.4.y Kernel. Both are considered stable. Which one do I take? Can I use minimal, and if yes, should I?

Thanks

Am I missing something really obvious?

Odroid HC1 / HC2 / MC1 – Armbian

I cannot see the 5.4y Kernel version of Buster - has it been removed or I am being a bit dim?

• Thanks, Macom.

Whilst I am tempted to consider 5.14 (given that Palladium has had no apparent issues, so far), absolutely stability is crucial as our HC2 is responsible for all the TV in our house. Will stick with 4.14 for the time being.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!