No connection OMV after setting up network settings

• Hi all, I'm a bit frustrated tbh. This is now my 4th clean install and every time I configure my machine to use a DNS or static IP, I can't connect to it after a reboot.

What I did was going through the usual process of setting everything up. I went to the network section to add a static IP and a DNS entry (since I had issues installing Docker and Portainer due to "no DNS found")

So, after a fresh install (most recent version 5xx) I've configured the network settings (for eth0) and setup everything as it should (static IP, router IP, DNS etc.) the NAS was accessible via the new static IP. I've rebooted the system and now the NAS is not visible in the network and is not getting an IP. I can't connect to it.

Pinging the static IP I've assigned does not bring any success and I can't connect to it via SSH.

Any suggestions? I don't want to start from scratch.

• If you use something like Angry IP Scanner you can scan your LAN and find it if it's there. Sometimes the IP changes early on ( I'm not sure why) so it's there, you just don't know where. There is even an iOS app (probably something like it on Android too) called Fing that will also scan your LAN (if your phone is on the network WiFi) and get you your needed IP.

Simple and sure backup and restore: In a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOURCE/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DESTINATION/ (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)
    OMV 5 (current) - Hardware: Thinkserver TS140, Nextcloud, Plex, Airsonic, Navidrome, Ubooquity, Digikam, & Heimdall - NanoPi M4 (v.1), backup - Odroid XU4, Pi-Hole (DietPi) - Testing/Playing: hc2, xu4, Pi 3B+, Odroid H2. Mac user trying to convert to Linux on a HP dx2400, Debian 10 XFCE.

• Can you log in at console (ie, w/ a display attached?)

If the IP is changing somehow, Angry IP scanner on another network device (or logging into your router if you know how to do that)... should show the IP address...

If it's absolutely not showing anywhere... can you log in at Console (with a display attached)?

Try to log in as root and

ip addr (that should show you what your IP is, if you have one)

As a last resort, you can run omv-firstaid from console and reconfigure your network controller.

I would think that should at least get you back online. You may have to go through the above again to see if you got assigned a new IP in this instance.

• thanks for the advise.

I've used similar apps to scan for everything within my network without any success.

Unfortunately it's impossible to plugin a screen into the NAS. I've tried connecting it directly to my machine and access it via the ethernet port, without success too.

So for now, the only option I see, is reinstalling the whole thing.

• thanks for the advise.

I've used similar apps to scan for everything within my network without any success.

Unfortunately it's impossible to plugin a screen into the NAS. I've tried connecting it directly to my machine and access it via the ethernet port, without success too.

So for now, the only option I see, is reinstalling the whole thing.

What are you installing on?

• I'm reinstalling everything now. What's the best way to set a static IP and the DNS servers?

As said, I've tried it via:

1. omv-firstaid => couldn't get IP after reboot
    2. via modifying resolv.conf in the console
    3. via the UI

All had the same result.

• I'm reinstalling everything now. What's the best way to set a static IP and the DNS servers?

As said, I've tried it via:

1. omv-firstaid => couldn't get IP after reboot
    2. via modifying resolv.conf in the console
    3. via the UI

All had the same result.

Honestly.. I just leave it as default dhcp.. never needed anything else. Post a pic of the settings you're trying before applying them... maybe it is something obvious you're missing.

• Once set up, in Network>General if you set your domain and host you can always reach it from a browser with [domain].[host]. Something like hc2.local or whatever you have.

Simple and sure backup and restore: In a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-SOURCE/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DESTINATION/ (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)
    OMV 5 (current) - Hardware: Thinkserver TS140, Nextcloud, Plex, Airsonic, Navidrome, Ubooquity, Digikam, & Heimdall - NanoPi M4 (v.1), backup - Odroid XU4, Pi-Hole (DietPi) - Testing/Playing: hc2, xu4, Pi 3B+, Odroid H2. Mac user trying to convert to Linux on a HP dx2400, Debian 10 XFCE.

• thanks for the suggestion.

I've set a host and a domain name and now I'm getting this error message when trying to login:

• What is your boot drive and how is it connected?

• I had another reinstall now. my boot drive is a 1gb partition (ext3) connected directly to the NAS.

Edit: And it just happened again. All I did was set eth0 to DCHP and added a DNS entry (8.8.8.8) so I could download Portainer. After a reboot, the NAS is not showing up in the network anymore.

It seems whenever I configure anything related to the network, it stops working.

The issue is that I have to do it, as otherwise I'm not able to connect to the internet

• I suggest trying to assign the IP to the equipment from the router itself, if it gives you the option, it is only necessary to know the MAC address of the equipment.

Core I3 3225, RAM 4GB, SnapRaid and UnionFS, 1 parity disk (5TB), 3 data disks (5TB+4TB+4TB), 1 x 32GB USB disk for startup, 1 x 60GB SSD disk for docker

I DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH. I translate with google, sorry if sometimes I am not well understood :)

• I have it configured like this and it works well for me, I don't think it is a problem for OMV. Once the IP has been assigned, the operation should be normal.

Core I3 3225, RAM 4GB, SnapRaid and UnionFS, 1 parity disk (5TB), 3 data disks (5TB+4TB+4TB), 1 x 32GB USB disk for startup, 1 x 60GB SSD disk for docker

I DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH. I translate with google, sorry if sometimes I am not well understood :)

• I did not do any network configuration in OMV. The router's DHCP server provides the connection settings to the computer and nothing else is necessary. I have Jellyfin installed in docker and it works for me without problems.

• I've found this on the topic, which might be my issue:

https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/issues/307

Do you advise doing that?

AND

• If you leave it on DHCP don't set a DNS.

my boot drive is a 1gb partition (ext3) connected directly to the NAS.

Is there a typo here, or several? All of my servers use a 32GB thumb drive or microSD card, and they are formatted in ext4.

Edit: I can't say one way or the other about the instructions on your link.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!