No connection OMV after setting up network settings

• sorry about that. It's no a typo actually :)

Partition 1 (Boot, ext3) = 1GB

Partition 2 (Root, ext3) = 6GB

Partition 3 (SWAP) = 6,25 GB

Partition 4 (Files, ext4) = 2,7 TB

I'm not at the same step again, where I want to install Portainer, and it won't let me.

Here's what I'm getting:

And this is how my network setting look like (empty) I was able to download Docker just fine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you formatting and partitioning your boot drive before installing OMV? I still think the ext3 is wrong.

Try installing an iso on a clean new 16 or 32GB usb stick and try it that way. Don’t format it or partition it. Just burn the iso with Etcher. Follow the guide in this forum. I am not familiar with your Buffalo. Hopefully you can boot from a usb stick.

• I'm beyond that point. OVM works just fine.

What I'm struggling with, is the network setup. I don't seem to be able to use any configuration that allows me to change the network settings so I can install portainer (pls see the previous screenshots I've provided).

• Offizieller Beitrag

I’m sorry. Like I said, I’m not familiar with the Buffalo. I didn’t realize it was an ARM board.

In the past I have had problems with Portainer installing properly. From the omv-extras GUI uninstall Portainer and also docker too, then reinstall. I’m away from my desktop right now but I believe there is also a purge or clean button near the docker install button. You might do that too first just to clean things up.

Also, you should move your docker storage away from /var/lib/docker. This can grow quite large if you install more than a few containers, especially Plex. Create a shared folder called something like Containers or Dockers (or your choice) on a dedicated data drive where it has space to grow. Point your docker storage there.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I still think if you leave Network on DHCP do not fill out a DNS.

It is very likely something is in play here that I can’t see. You should be able to set a static IP from the OMV GUI.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I believe there is also a purge or clean button near the docker install button.

I'm back at my desktop now. I was mistaken about a function of this sort. It's probably something for the command line I remember seeing.

• yeah, I basically demoved docker and portainer and reinstalled them, just to be sure.

It's all working right now.

But I'm kinda scared to reboot the NAS. I fear it won't get an IP assigned or found by the network as usual.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm wondering if you're having the problem I used to have.

Basically install, etc would all go just fine. As soon as I installed docker, I'd lose my connection due to DNS. When I ran omv-fistaid locally.. it would eventually pickup my connection again, assign a new IP, and then all was right with the world from then on. A couple people attributed it to an ancient router. it didn't bother me as it was a simple fix in my case. (FWIW, this would also effect any OMV virtual machine I installed, and I have several).... A couple months ago I bought a new router as the old one finally croaked. While doing some VM installs, it dawned on me that I was no longer running into an issue after installing docker.

• The NAS is plugged to a switch.

The switch is plugged into a Google Wifi Modem.

And the Google Wifi is plugged into a router.

I've also tried plugging it directly into the router (via LAN).

As you said above, it always happens when installing docker. I believe docker is creating its own network configuration or similar that will be used as a default. No idea how to change that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's correct, it does.

If you run omv-firstaid after installing docker.. you'll typically see a device "docker0" (or at least I always have)...

https://forums.docker.com/t/ca…buntu-18-04-machine/53416

Have you seen that? The command to restart the docker daemon is systemctl restart docker

• FWIW, seems there are no entries in /etc/network/interfaces.d

nothing.

Could that be the problem? when typing the following command:

nano /etc/network/interfaces.d

it says, no such file.

same with ls....

no such directory.

Same for .../network/interfaces

running ip a show

these seem to be all the network interfaces currently running

• Offizieller Beitrag

Could that be the problem? when typing the following command:

nano /etc/network/interfaces.d

it says, no such file.

same with ls....

no such directory.

OMV5 uses netplan you will see a yaml file in relation to your nic in /etc/netplan

On amd64 the information regarding interfaces is displayed in Network -> Interfaces, I believe on arm based boards this is not the case. You have confirmed from the cli that your nic is eth0 you can find this information in System Information -> Report

What you should be able to do is to go to Network -> Interfaces -> Add select Ethernet and from the drop down select eth0, if not i.e. if it's not shown then there there's another option somewhere, but I don't know for sure.

• thanks; I've these two entries in /etc/netplan:

root@debian:~# ls /etc/netplan

10-openmediavault-default.yaml

20-openmediavault-eth0.yaml

Which one should I remove/edit?

On the latter, in the GUI there was no configuration for the network, so I've created one for eth0 myself (to use DCHP)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Which one should I remove/edit

Don't remove or edit any!! Check the content of the second .yaml eth0

On the latter, in the GUI there was no configuration for the network, so I've created one for eth0 myself (to use DCHP)

Ok if you've done that, select it in the GUI, click edit on the menu from the pop up scroll down to Advanced settings in the DNS servers add 1.1.1.1 save then apply

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's the same as mine but I have set DNS even for dhcp and I have domain name set

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!