I am using UFS drive storage, says its full but I have lots of space left.

• Offizieller Beitrag

on it's initial install be changed to mfs rather than epmfs

I would probably go for least free space. So that the drives fill up one after the other without switching back and forth between the drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If memory serves me correctly that is not the default setting, I wonder if it's possible to change that within the plugin as this seems to come up as a root cause of data distribution.

Most Free Space is not the default. I've already broached this topic with ryecoaaron about changing it. Apparently there was a raging argument on which policy should be the default, back in the day, and all settled on Existing Path, most free space.

(For readers of this thread)
    If using the most free space policy, one becomes (essentially) married to mergerfs. Files are evenly distributed among the drives in a RAID5 like manner which means that the mergerfs mount point must be used. Files and directory structure explode over all drives, as files are distributed according to most free space. To back out of mergerfs, folders and their files must be manually consolidated onto one drive which is complicated for a beginner.

That's the benefit of Existing Path, most free space. Once the path is set on one drive, as in a new shared folder, all files go to that folder. If dropping the mount point, there's nothing to consolidate or sort out. Files are under their intended sub-directory. The problem with this policy is "Video" storage. When a "video" shared folder is set, using EP,MFS that folder is the only place where video is stored. This is what we see on the forum and it's the reason why the associated drive fills up.

The only real solution I can think of is another doc, explaining these two policies to users and what implementing them would mean. Now that ryecoaaron has a Wiki, a plugin doc and a referring link in the plugin's frame might take care of the issue.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, I had understood you. I am translating into English with google and I think that sometimes I am not well understood. ||:D:D

Using google for translating can produce strange results. (I know this from experience.) You're doing very well.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's the benefit of Existing Path, most free space. Once the path is set on one drive, as in a new shared folder, all files go to that folder. If dropping the mount point, there's nothing to consolidate or sort out. Files are under their intended sub-directory. The problem with this policy is "Video" storage. When a "video" shared folder is set, using EP,MFS that folder is the only place where video is stored. This is what we see on the forum and it's the reason why the associated drive fills up.

One way to solve it would be for OMV to automatically create the folder on the second disk when the first one is full. It would be a transparent process for the user maintaining the Existing Path, most free space policy.

• One way to solve it would be for OMV to automatically create the folder on the second disk when the first one is full. It would be a transparent process for the user maintaining the Existing Path, most free space policy.

This is not a good idea. It will defeat the purpose of choosing that policy to prevent exactly that from happening.

I think a better solution would be for users to read the documentation for the software so that they can make informed decisions about create policies rather than reading the documentation later to find why it's not working for them as they expected.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

most free space...Files and directory structure explode over all drives, as files are distributed according to most free space. To back out of mergerfs, folders and their files must be manually consolidated onto one drive which is complicated for a beginner.

Existing Path, most free space...The problem with this policy is "Video" storage. When a "video" shared folder is set, using EP,MFS that folder is the only place where video is stored. This is what we see on the forum and it's the reason why the associated drive fills up.

Everybody likes automation, but it is plain to see there is no fully automated "perfect" solution when using mergerfs (UnionFS.) Wouldn't a better (but more hands-on) solution be using individual disks and use the symlinks plugin? File paths in containers and plugins can use the symlink and when a video-type folder "explodes", just move it to a new dedicated drive and change the path for that symlink.

I'm using the UFS plugin with most free space and imagining a snarled mess inside my two data drives concerns me. I don't like things where it's not easy "to back out of." Thankfully, I have a single-disk remote backup of my two pooled disks. :)

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!