Suggestions on NAS hardware

• Offizieller Beitrag

After reading the whole thread I still think it is better to build a NAS with conventional hardware. As long as it is for standard domestic use and there are no space problems.

1. Consumption. Most of the time the CPU is idle. There is not much difference in consumption in this state with an ARM platform. Disks consume the same amount on both platforms.

2. Durability. Hardware will live much better in a large box with proper fans and well-studied airflow. A standard power supply will always work more stable than a small power supply, sometimes without protections. The hardware will appreciate all of this in the long run.

3. Scalability A system with standard hardware is scalable. An ARM platform is not.

I think they are not comparable systems, they are just different solutions for different needs. Each one with its advantages and disadvantages.

I would recommend replacing the Node 304 with the Node 804 with space for 10 hard drives and replacing the Mini-Itx board with a Micro-Atx board with 6 sata, 4 banks of RAM, etc. For example this, ASUS Prime B460M-A. If you have space to place it in your home. Perhaps now you will not need it but it is possible that in the future you will. It is a long-term investment.

I only see recommended a small platform solution if the space to locate it is limited or if it is a backup solution.

It is my humble opinion...

• 1. Consumption. Most of the time the CPU is idle. There is not much difference in consumption in this state with an ARM platform

that statement doesn't align with my personal experience due to the ATX power supply used in a PC.

To get a baseline, would you be in a position to measure consumption of your setup and publish it here?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• 100% agree with you!

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Many spend more each day on a latte from [name brand] than a conventional home server consumes daily. I know that power is expensive in Europe, but the cost is not out of reach, is it? I have six sbc servers that I just love, and they all serve their purpose, but one of those purposes is not main server. I wouldn't trade my used Lenovo ThinkServer TS-140 for anything, even if it cost me a dollar a day to run.

• that statement doesn't align with my personal experience due to the ATX power supply used in a PC.

To get a baseline, would you be in a position to measure consumption of your setup and publish it here?

Any typical power supply does not care how much is connected, just how much is pulled. You have to go out of your way to push amperage, and I've never seen a PSU that is meant to directly power a PC do that. The 80+ initiative was a well intended initiative (just like Energy Star), but it's nearly useless once more than 1 PSU is referenced. Point being, there's no sense in asking people to test their PSU because there really is no baseline.

On a side note, if you really, REALLY care about pinching milliamps, try the sites for marijuana crop as those people work all angles where power is concerned as that is literally there #1 cost.

• Offizieller Beitrag

that statement doesn't align with my personal experience due to the ATX power supply used in a PC.

I think it is not a question of starting a competition to see which one consumes less. It is clear that an ARM platform will consume less than a conventional PC. What I mean by that phrase is that the difference in consumption is not considerable considering the other advantages, at least in my case.

And if you want, let's go to the numbers, so as not to leave you without an answer. I just did a measurement of my system, I have disconnected it from the UPS and I have started it with a meter. The total result has been 52W. Let's analyze this. First, my CPU is about ten years old. I use it because I have it and it's free. It is clear that if you wanted to make a computer now, you would buy something else with lower consumption. Still look at the numbers. In my system there are five hard drives, which are also always spinning, I don't put it to sleep (my manias), and four fans. This is what they consume:

DISCS

1 x TOSHIBA N300 12TB _________________ 6,5 W __x1__ 6,5 W

2 x SEAGATE ST5000LM000 ____________ 2,1 W __x2__ 4,2 W

2 x WDC WD40EFRX ___________________ 4,5 W __x2__ 9,0 W

1 x OCZ VERTEX 2 _______________________ 2,0 W __x1__ 2,0 W

FANS

3 x BE QUIET SILENT WINGS 120MM ____ 1,44 W __x3__ 4,3 W

1 x ALPINE 12 CO ________________________ 1,08 W __x1__ 1,1 W

TOTAL 27,1 W

Just half of the total consumption, coincidence, is taken by hard drives and fans. This cannot be removed with any system, it is a fixed consumption. You could remove the fans if you want but it is not recommended. My disks are always between 30th and 35th, each one who thinks if it is worth reducing the life of the hardware. The last album I bought cost me 300€. The truth is that I prefer to pay a few euros more a year in electricity consumption and that the hardware last me a few more years.

And now you will tell me my system consumes 2W at rest. Very well. That means you stop the discs, you do the math when they go bad. If you keep them running, the consumption would be 27W plus the 2W of the ARM system on equal terms. Total 29W. Any modern CPU would lower that total consumption of my intel 3225 by at least 15W. Which leaves us an approximate consumption of 37W compared to your 29W. For a difference of 8W more than you I have an upgradeable, cooler and better maintained equipment. When the RPI5 comes out you will change it entirely. I can upgrade my RAM by adding more, I can even change CPUs, you can't. I can add expansion cards, connect 10 or more hard drives, etc.

Regarding the issue of the power supply, just say that the actual consumption is what you are spending at that time plus the percentage of loss. Calculate a source for the consumption of the hard drives you want to have. Generally with a 300W it is more than enough and it will consume depending on what you have with less loss. To that add that a standard source will also make your hardware last longer, it has better protections than an external source in general.

I insist, I respect all opinions very much, and of course ARM systems have their market. But I still think that it is much better to use a conventional system for OMV in a home, it has much more possibilities in the long term.

PS: I have two RPI3s and I am happy with them, I use them as clients with Kodi. I do not consider using an RPI4 as a server because of everything I said before. ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

What I mean by that phrase is that the difference in consumption is not considerable considering the other advantages, at least in my case.

:thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just half of the total consumption, coincidence, is taken by hard drives and fans. This cannot be removed with any system, it is a fixed consumption. You could remove the fans if you want but it is not recommended. My disks are always between 30th and 35th, each one who thinks if it is worth reducing the life of the hardware. The last album I bought cost me 300€. The truth is that I prefer to pay a few euros more a year in electricity consumption and that the hardware last me a few more years.

Again, good points. :thumbup:

• I see the arguments resembles conversations of car lovers discussing "What is better, Porsche 911 versus Toyota Aygo, during city rush hour".

My whole RPi NAS (details below) is just using the amount of energy during idle (= 95% of day) as the fans in above example.

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I see the arguments resembles conversations of car lovers discussing "What is better, Porsche 911 versus Toyota Aygo, during city rush hour".

You seem angry, sorry if I have offended you in something, it was not my intention. I think this is to simplify things a bit and skip a lot of my arguments. I'm not an OMV expert but I know something about hardware. I am open to any friendly discussion and willing to change my mind if necessary.

My whole RPi NAS (details below) is just using the amount of energy during idle (= 95% of day) as the fans in above example.

That means the discs are stopped. They start, stop, start, stop ... It is bread for today and hunger for tomorrow (it is a Spanish saying, I suppose it is understood in English^^). They will die sooner if they stop and start than if they are running 24/7. You consume more energy but more than make up for it in the longevity of the discs as I have discussed above. Also if you have that consumption I assume that you do not have fans on the hard drives, that means that the temperature will be high ... high ...

• Offizieller Beitrag

You seem angry, sorry if I have offended you in something, it was not my intention

He's not angry he's trying to make a point using an analogy, but using your bread for today hunger for tomorrow, in the UK it's, 'horses for courses'

You have to asses what you want to use it for, would I trust a RPi with an icy box configured with hardware raid1 for my use, no I would not, but I do have 2 RPi and they have a specific function on my network.

This why I tend not to get hung up on power consumption but for some this is important, but it should not be an end goal for every user.

My son uses a RPi with Kodi with a USB powered drive attached for his movies, this serves his purpose, but dad keeps a second hard drive as his backup.

We all have opinions but no one is right and no one is wrong.

• HDDs will die sooner if they stop and start than if they are running 24/7.

Unfortunately there is no published data with statistical relevance to make an informed decision :(

I understand the reasoning though and use the following HDD setup to compensate for the risk AND get low energy consumption

1) buy HDDs with 5 year warranty (because 80% of HDD failures happen with the first 4 years according to statistical relevant study https://www.backblaze.com/blog/how-long-do-disk-drives-last/) Search for models is easy via https://www.heise.de/preisverg…%FCr+Dauerbetrieb%7E960_5

2) use an external HDD enclosure with temp controlled fan

3) configured hardware RAID1 (failure likelihood of 2 HDDs at the same time less than 0.00001% (except when an external disaster strikes) => covered via backup)

with this setup I get the best compromise for conflicting requirements

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately there is no published data with statistical relevance to make an informed decision :(

At this point you are right. There are no scientific studies on this. I draw on the experience of professionals who maintain high-performance servers and their advice. It's a matter of faith, but it works for me. Hard drives last me much more than 5 years without errors.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have to asses what you want to use it for, would I trust a RPi with an icy box configured with hardware raid1 for my use, no I would not, but I do have 2 RPi and they have a specific function on my network.

I completely agree

• Hard drives last me much more than 5 years without errors.

For me too, its just a statistical pattern, if a HDD fails, likelihood is 80% in the first 4 years. This known as "infant mortality rate" in the industry

• Offizieller Beitrag

For me too, its just a statistical pattern, if a HDD fails, likelihood is 80% in the first 4 years. This known as "infant mortality rate" in the industry

That is just not correct. The Backblaze article you referenced defines “infant mortality rate” as the first quarter or 18 months of the hard drive’s lifespan. And the rate is only about 5%.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Arctic Alpine 12 Passive (unos 10,00 €)

Once the controversy about the system in general is over, another aspect to take into account.

Regarding the fanless heatsink, I only see the justification for this if the system is going to be in a room where the noise can be annoying. The great advantage of a NAS is that you can install it wherever you want and access it over the network. If you can install it where noise does not disturb, an active cooling system is always preferable. If this is not the case, you can install a heatsink with a 12 cm fan and very low noise, such as

https://www.amazon.es/Prolimat…or-plateado/dp/B003OPW3W6 if it's not out of budget. If this is too expensive there are other cheaper options. The one I use, I can barely hear it and it is designed to run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.https://www.arctic.de/en/Alpine-12-CO/ACALP00031A

• Thank you for all your replies and suggestions! I have read through them all, but I have been too busy the last few days to reply.

I would recommend replacing the Node 304 with the Node 804 with space for 10 hard drives and replacing the Mini-Itx board with a Micro-Atx board with 6 sata, 4 banks of RAM, etc. For example this, ASUS Prime B460M-A. If you have space to place it in your home. Perhaps now you will not need it but it is possible that in the future you will. It is a long-term investment.

Unfortunately, space is a constraint at the moment. I have therefore still decided on a setup with an m-itx mainboard. But thanks for the suggestion.

In the end I chose the following hardware:

Housing: Fractal Design Node 304

Mainboard: ASRock H370M-ITX/AC

CPU: Intel Pentium Gold G5400

Cooler: ARCTIC Alpine 12 CO

RAM: Kingston ValueRAM DIMM 8GB

PSU: be quiet! Pute Power 11 400 W

Boot drive: Kingston A2000 NVMe PCIe SSD 250GB

Data drives: 2 x WD Red Plus 6 TB

I found the time yesterday to assemble everything, install OMV 5 and make the first settings. So far, everything has worked out perfectly and the noise level is inaudible in my opinion. When everything is finished setting up I will also take some measurements of the power consumption with my smart plugs and share them here.

Regarding RAID/redundancy/backup, I have a question: My idea was to set up snapRAID for redundancy and back up my data to an external hard drive, plus keep the most important data on my Google Drive. With 2 hard drives snapRAID is not an option, so I would just mirror the drive and once I get a third hard drive delete one and set up snapRAID. What are your suggestions on this? Would you set up mirroring (which is basically the same as RAID 1, am I right?) in OMV or in BIOS? Are there any differences there?

Also, what is the common practice for occasionally backing up data to an external hard drive in OMV? Can this be done semi-automatically, or do I have to manually plug in a hard drive and perform the backup every now and then?

Thanks a lot for your help!

• Would you set up mirroring (which is basically the same as RAID 1, am I right?)

yes, it is the same

RAID 1, in OMV or in BIOS?

not knowing the specific Mobo & BIOS it could be hardware RAID versus OMV using software RAID.

To get clarity could you post a reference to the Mobo BIOS configuration documentation or a picture?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!