Plex and first setup

• hello I want to build my first nas and I do have some question if anyone can help me.

So I want to install 120gb ssd for omw

One 480 gb ssd for programs. Ex. Plex doker and all other program.

And another 3.5hdd for media storage.

My question is . It is better how I have planed ? Or it is ok just 480gb ssd and remove 120gb ssd ? Thanks all

• Offizieller Beitrag

A lot depends on how big your Plex database is. I've personally never saw one bigger than 120gb, and that was because video previews was enabled. So using that as a standard... You would be fine.

Understand though, part of the beauty of having the os insulated from the data.. is so if you have an os drive failure.. your data is safe on your data drives. You'd be losing this in your setup.

Why not get the 480gig drive like you want for Plex ,docker, whatever.. and then just get a 16-32gig flash drive for the os? You'd save a sata port if that is your issue, or it would be way cheaper.. if it's a budget issue and this should be more than enough space to install if you set everything up properly.

I've got a lot of stuff going on my NAS at home, and last I checked it was running right at 3gigs for the OS. Just get a decent flash disk (I like Sandisk, Kingston and PNY) and make sure you use the flash-memory plugin, and you'll be fine.

• hello and thank for your reply. Nas will finally have around 40tb I will build this nas using a asrock 5040 so I have 4 sata port plus I can add a pcie sata expander. So it will have 6 sata port. So if I will use just one ssd 480gb can I do partition and install OMV let say on 60 gb and rest of 420gb to Use for plex and other docker.. it will be ok this ? I only ask because this will.be my fisrt interaction whit OMV.

THANKS

• Offizieller Beitrag

hello and thank for your reply. Nas will finally have around 40tb I will build this nas using a asrock 5040 so I have 4 sata port plus I can add a pcie sata expander. So it will have 6 sata port. So if I will use just one ssd 480gb can I do partition and install OMV let say on 60 gb and rest of 420gb to Use for plex and other docker.. it will be ok this ? I only ask because this will.be my fisrt interaction whit OMV.

THANKS

Yes, you could do that as well...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!