Must manually select boot drive each restart

• I recently moved my system drive over to an ssd. Like a dummy, I bought an ssd a little smaller than the original system drive. After a bunch of goofing around with clonezilla, I was able to get the machine running on the ssd, but with one exception - during the boot process, I have to use the bios boot selector function (hit F8 on this machine) to select the ssd for boot. Only then will it start normally. If I don't do this step, I just get a single blinking cursor, nothing else happens or can be done, expect cycle power. The bios recognizes the ssd and allows me to set it in the boot order priority list. I've removed other drives from the boot order list.

You'll see below that the boot flag is set on sda. The only thing that stands out to me is that sda has a disklabel type of dos, while the others are gpt. BTW, sdf is a usb drive for a backup that is running right now. It's normally not connected when booting.

Any ideas on how I can get it to boot without user intervention? :/

Mark D

OMV6.1.0 upgraded from 5 on a Core2Duo

mergerfs & snapraid

Docker for urbackup, omada controller, adguard.

• I'll be rebooting sometime this weekend. I'll try to grab some screens to show how the bios is set. I've messed around with various boot order combinations. Also, the drive is direct connected to the first SATA port, not via usb.

Thanks!

Mark D

mergerfs & snapraid

• I'll be rebooting sometime this weekend. I'll try to grab some screens to show how the bios is set. I've messed around with various boot order combinations. Also, the drive is direct connected to the first SATA port, not via usb.

Thanks!

In my BIOS, I can switch the USB one but also the 3 connected SATA.

Let's see how it goes :)

• Well, I should delete this thread. Feeling pretty silly for as long as I've been goofing around with computers....

In this pic

you can see the kingston is not even available as a boot drive in the priority list. Yet, I could select it from the bios boot pop-up menu when you hit f8 (gives you a selector menu, but not loading the whole bios menu)

In this pic,

you can see the kingston listed last. I've never used this menu before on this machine. The drives were always all available in the former list, so I never needed to go here. But I also never had 5 drives. I moved the kingston up to 1st drive, it became available in the priority list, I set it as 1st priority, problem solved.

I still don't get the need for this 'second' list, but whatever. Thank you guys for making me look closer at the bios. I was so sure I mucked something up when moving them image over from the old hd to the ssd...

Mark D

mergerfs & snapraid

• I don't know why, but BIOS is not able to switch to more than one HDD.

As I said in my previous message, you need to tell it which one hosts the boot sector. It assumes it is the first one by default which is a good behaviour.

but we, geeks, are not using any defaults, right ? :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!