New install OMV 5 on HP microserver gen 8

• Hi,

Microserver gen 8 with SATA controller in AHCI mode.

Had OMV 4 running for some time from USB flash drive plugged into internal slot and 4 data disks in the bays (ZFS). The USB flash drive has just failed.

Decided to install fresh OMV 5 onto an SSD drive plugged into the ODD SATA slot, keeping the data disks as they were. Installed OMV 5 on the SSD, the system would boot from it with the 4 disks unplugged. Followed a guide to install and configure grub on a USB flash drive in order to boot from it but point to the OS on the SSD drive and plugged back in the 4 disks.

Guide here https://www.aroundmyroom.com/2…10t-booting-with-usb-odd/

Now OMV it's seeing the disks, but, just tried installing ZFS plugin among others and it failed, so cannot import the ZFS pool etc. nor can retry the update process as the update packages are not available in the GUI anymore.

Any ideas?

• install proxmox kernell prior to install ZFS pluging, so this time ZFS must work.

PD: Import pools from Shell , not from webGUI.

Thanks. Actually not sure what was wrong, but I uninstalled ZFS plugin (what was left of it) and reinstalled it and it seems to be fine now.

• Under Flash Memory plugin, point 8:

"On systems using GPT, swap will still be auto-detected. The swap partition should be turned off and wiped."

Does this refer to GPT on any disk or specifically to the system (OS) disk?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does this refer to GPT on any disk or specifically to the system (OS) disk?

Only on the OS drive.
    If using ZFS, this wouldn't apply to your use case. Do the edits to /etc/fstab, save them and you're done.

You could do the rest, it won't hurt anything, but there's a risk in making a mistake with wipefs.

A swap file shouldn't exist on data disks. If GPT is present on a data disk, a warning might show up when trying to wipe the drive. Simply do the wipe a 2nd time and it will work.

"Wiping" the little swap partition on a thumb drive would apply if using mdadm (traditional software) RAID. Even if swap still existed, when using mdadm RAID, the end result is not serious. Some error messages might be generated that most users wouldn't notice.

• Thanks.

I don't recall the difference between the default kernel and the Proxmox one though, so what is it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

- The proxmox kernel has ZFS headers already added to the kernel. When the proxmox kernel is installed, that part of a ZFS install is already done.

- The backports kernel doesn't have ZFS headers installed.

When the ZFS plugin is installed, it looks at the installed kernel.
    If the proxmox kernel is installed, the script adds the filesystem, tools and GUI support.

If the backports kernel is installed, ZFS headers are built for the kernel AND the filesystem, tools and GUI support are added.

While I've had very little trouble with it, the processes the install script goes through to build the headers for the backports kernel takes longer and there's a higher chance of an error of some kind. Still, for home use, this is fine IMO.

If the proxmox kernel is used, the ZFS install process is simpler and less prone to error but it should be noted that the proxmox kernel comes with a slightly different userland. (Very slight variations in the software packages available for it.)
    With that noted, the proxmox kernel is tested extensively. If using a server for a business and running ZFS, I'd go this route but I'd also buy server grade hardware.

• I've used this tutorial to boot from internal USB + ODD (SATA 5) SSD.

https://www.aroundmyroom.com/2…10t-booting-with-usb-odd/

Just came across an issue: after installing kernel "Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.3-amd64" and even setting it as default manually from OMV GUI, it still boots the previous kernel. I suspect I need to manually update something but what and where?

Ok, so I've sorted this part by mounting the USB flash drive /dev/sdd in my case to /mnt and running again the following commands:

> mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt

> grub-install --no-floppy --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdd

> grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdd

> grub-mkconfig -o /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg

> reboot

and I was able to boot the new kernel, but new issue arises: this messed up ZFS. Of course it doesn't have the module for the new kernel. So I uninstalled ZFS from Plugins and tried to reinstall it but it fails to build. :/

• make.log

• Offizieller Beitrag

I ran into issues with this myself, just recently. The ZFS modules for my kernel "unloaded" after a reboot. I restored to a backup boot thumbdrive where all was working well. I brought everything up-to-date and it happened again. I looked for a reason "why" and found -> this.

That was all the prompting I needed to go with the proxmox kernel where the kernel's compatibility with ZFS is pre-built and assured. That brings this to the following:

First, as always, backup the boot drive. (Recovery options are always good.)

With a backup:

Remove ZFS. (Uninstall the plugin.)

Then load the proxmox kernel, using OMV-Extras, and select it as the default boot kernel.

(reboot)

Put a hold on the proxmox kernel in OMV extras.

Install ZFS (Install the ZFS plugin)

(reboot)

Import your pool.

If you have snapshots saved, you might have to reboot one more time to see them.

• Thanks, got it working again, with these notes:

- after installing proxmox kernel, reinstalling ZFS would not work until I removed all other kernels, as for some reason it would build the proxmox modules fine, but also try to build for the latest bpo kernel present in the system and fail, thus ZFS not showing up again in OMV GUI.

- somewhere between the latest reboots, the internal USB thumbdrive changed the device name, it is now seen as /dev/sde (was sdd). I didn't notice it until I repeated once again the grub install process, and almost destroyed the pool member that is now /dev/sdd :S. It would have probably resilvered fine, but luckily I didn't get to that as it failed to mount in /mnt and also grub was unable to install on it.

• Thanks, got it working again, with these notes:

- after installing proxmox kernel, reinstalling ZFS would not work until I removed all other kernels, as for some reason it would build the proxmox modules fine, but also try to build for the latest bpo kernel present in the system and fail, thus ZFS not showing up again in OMV GUI.

- somewhere between the latest reboots, the internal USB thumbdrive changed the device name, it is now seen as /dev/sde (was sdd). I didn't notice it until I repeated once again the grub install process, and almost destroyed the pool member that is now /dev/sdd :S. It would have probably resilvered fine, but luckily I didn't get to that as it failed to mount in /mnt and also grub was unable to install on it.

Aaand the thumbdrive is back to /dev/sdd without reboot... probably when I imported the pool...

• crashtest

Since proxmox kernel is in place, should I disable backports repo? as I see similar stuff from both repo's in the update management package list?

Hmm, not sure what happened, upgraded packages and ZFS is gone again and the plugin will not reinstall.

>>> *************** Error ***************

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive; apt-get --yes --allow-downgrades --allow-change-held-packages --fix-missing --allow-unauthenticated --reinstall install openmediavault-zfs 2>&1' with exit code '100': Reading package lists...

Building dependency tree...

Reading state information...

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have

requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable

distribution that some required packages have not yet been created

or been moved out of Incoming.

The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

openmediavault-zfs : Depends: libnvpair1linux but it is not going to be installed

Depends: libuutil1linux but it is not going to be installed

Depends: libzfs2linux but it is not going to be installed

Depends: libzpool2linux but it is not going to be installed

E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

<<< *************************************

root@omv:~# apt install openmediavault-zfs

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have

requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable

distribution that some required packages have not yet been created

or been moved out of Incoming.

The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

openmediavault-zfs : Depends: libnvpair1linux but it is not going to be installed

Depends: libuutil1linux but it is not going to be installed

Depends: libzfs2linux but it is not going to be installed

Depends: libzpool2linux but it is not going to be installed

E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

root@omv:~# apt --fix-broken install

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In another thread, it appears Debian has an upgraded version of ZFS in their repo. If you upgraded packages, you might have installed it.

modinfo zfs | grep version

The pre-update version 2.0.2 . It appears that 2.0.3 is causing serious problems.
    Take a quick read thorough -> ZFS Thread

• In another thread, it appears Debian has an upgraded version of ZFS in their repo. If you upgraded packages, you might have installed it.

modinfo zfs | grep version

The pre-update version 2.0.2 . It appears that 2.0.3 is causing serious problems.
    Take a quick read thorough -> ZFS Thread

Yes, I upgraded...

Noticed the other thread and also posted there, don't see any solution yet.

Code
    root@omv:~# modinfo zfs | grep version
    version:        2.0.3-pve1
    srcversion:     DCE77834FDF1B30075B1328
    vermagic:       5.4.98-1-pve SMP mod_unload modversions

Keeping an eye on the threads for the time being.

Drop a line if you find anything.

• Yes, just fixed it.

1. Disable backports repo

Code
    dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libnvpair2linux_2.0.3-pve1_amd64.deb
    dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libuutil2linux_2.0.3-pve1_amd64.deb
    dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libzpool3linux_2.0.3-pve1_amd64.deb
    dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libzfs3linux_2.0.3-pve1_amd64.deb

3. Install ZFS plugin

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!