Controller RAID which one to choose?

• Hello.
    I want to buy a RAID controller for my OMV, but I do not know which one to choose
    1) must be compatible 100% Debian Linux Kernel 3.2
    2) Serial ATA III
    3) RAID levels: 0, 1, 5, 6, 10, 50 ...
    4) Support 3Gb/s and 6Gb/s SATA

• Hardware Raid Controller?

3ware 9650se- (4...) (8lpml) (12...) (16ml)

Alltough Sata II, don't know for what I could need Sata III. The Controller (16port) thows over 500megs over the pci-e port.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Right, but show me one rotating hard disk that has a higher speed than Sata II speed.

Therefore: LSI 3ware Escalade 9650SE-8LPML (you did not say how many disks you want to be able to use)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Zitat

Right, but show me one rotating hard disk that has a higher speed than Sata II speed

the WD30EFRX are 6 Gb/s SATA III

I have to connect more than 4 hard drives
    I saw the features of the raid controller LSI 3ware 9650SE-8LPML I think they are more than enough for me

• I correct my Sentence: Which rotating drive can exaggerate Sata II speed of 300MB/s?

Greetings
    David

• Sure the WD drive is SATA III

But what david wanted to say, SATA II has theoretically 300MB/s speed. NO rotating HDD gets to that speed.
    So you do not need SATA III for a rotating one.

@ david - you got me. sometimes you´re faster also ;)

• WastlJ: I was even faster before. :lol:

Greetings
    David

• Both my 8LPML and my new 16ML were bought from ebay. Both were used.

The 8LPML costed me about 200 € 3 years ago, sold it to a friend last year for 100 € and grabbed the 16ML for 200 € ;)

Greetings
    David

• If you go software or hardware based I would go with an LSI based one. Any 2008 or 2208 will do. They vary in price due to ports and how much ram cache on board. The cheapest setup would be a 8 port internal HBA software raid with a HP SAS expander. The LSI raid cards soft or hard support dual linking with the HP SAS expander cards.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!