Shared Folders: Error on "Apply"

• Hi there,

I just wanted to set up three different folders on my main SSD to easily manage shares via symlinks that go in there. The setup is as follows:

folder 1: containing symlinks for the respective user group

folder 2: containing symlinks for the respective user group

folder 3: you get the idea

I arrived at this solution because I think it is an elegant way to navigate around disk pooling issues and at the same time avoid having to do a lot of clicks when I want to add or remove folders.

So, I manually created the above mentioned folders on a partition of my OMV5 SSD with a Putty root session and the mkdir command.

Then I navigated to these folders in the "Shared Folders" section in the OMV5 Web interface and added them. When I hit "Apply", I get the error I added as attachment (it was too long for a post).

And ideas of how to solve this? Did I do something wrong or miss a step?

Thank you VERY MUCH in advance.

:)

• So, I manually created the above mentioned folders on a partition of my OMV5 SSD with a Putty root session and the mkdir command.

Did not read it in the error message, but permissions are probably wrong.

I would delete those folders and create shared folders from the GUI of OMV.

• Thje problem is that samba wants to load something from the database (//system/fstab/mntent[uuid='f30797e1-1398-423c-a0f6-7b30d1a97afe']) that obviosly does not exist anymore. This means that the database got corrupted somehow, e.g. by manually modifying things in the database.

• Thank you for you replies.

Fist, I tried removing the manually created folders in Putty. This worked.

Unfortunately, now all shares are gone. This firmly underlines what you said, votdev.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks so much for continuous help and elightenment on this forum!

What a greta place to be!!

• I did not manually edit any files, no.

What do you mean by "not pointing at an existing folder on the drive"?

Creating a shared folder inside an existing one , such a the ones I created for housing symlinks?

I was able to create three folders and they are visible inside OMV gui.

The same goes for the OMV server under windows - but accessing it gives me only a blank folder.

None of the shares still present in OMVs share gui are present in the network - neither the old nor new ones.

• Is there an automatically created backup copy of config xml?

If not: are there ways to set up cron jobs for backing up such vital files?

I see the "scheduled jobs" section but have no idea of how to set up things as I am a Linux noob...

• What do you mean by "not pointing at an existing folder on the drive"?

I am a bit confused wether there is an issue or not. So lets take it step by step and make sure we are on the same page.

In the GUI of OMV go to shared folder, click add.

Select a device.

Type "testfolder" in the name field.

Click in the path field. It should show now "testfolder/"

Click safe

Click apply.

Do you get any error message?

• I have no error messages. Everything worked nicely and I now see an additional "testfolder" on the partition I used before to create my own folders.

Does that help clarify things a little?

• So the original error "error on apply" is not there any more, right?

In that case you could do what you wanted to do in the first place. But do not create the folder from the CLI. Do it like described in #9 from the GUI of OMV. The folder will be created on the partition as you have seen.

You can also create nested folders by this method.

• No, the original error did not occur anymore.

But: The shares are not there, eben though they are listed in "shared folders".

I suspect something is wrong with the settings

I tried restarting the SMB service and got the error I attached below

Is there a way to check the config.xml? I cannot access the drives at the moment, so viewing / editing it from inside OMV would be ideal

• But: The shares are not there

Where do you expect to see the shares? In the GUI in shared folder? In the GUI in smb/cifs? As folder are on the filesystem?

Is there a way to check the config.xml?

You can search if and where

f30797e1-1398-423c-a0f6-7b30d1a97afe

is mentioned inside (might be several times). This is the UUID mentioned in the error message.

Where do you expect to see the shares? In the GUI in shared folder? In the GUI in smb/cifs? As folder are on the filesystem?

Where they were - in the folder where Windows 10 shows me the network share folders / drives

Currently, I cannot connect to the entire server. I can see it in the network but when I click on it, Windows tries for a while and then gives me an error code

0x80070035

and tells me that the network path cannot be found.

• Where would I find the UUID?

I looked in SMB and folder shares but the UUID is nowhere to be seen. Also, in drives, I don't find UUIDs like that

• Oh, and what I now remember:

It all started with a mergerfs drive I used for a while. I then saw that on the drive level, there were a lot of unwanted empty folders created and lost faith in the mergerfs setup. I deleted the mergerfs folder consisting of two other subfolders inside shared folders on two different drives.

The SMB share I pointed to this mergerfs folder still exists and gives me an error when I try to edit it. Deleting is greyed out.

• I already deleted the mergerfs entry. the error comes up when I try to edit the SMB share.

Deleting this SMB share is a greyed out option

• I have downloaded a copy of the config.xml via WinSCP (renamed to config.txt because the forum said it was a wrong ending)

The file is attached - maybe you can point me to what needs to be deleted

:|

I did not say this, but:

GREAT MANY THANKS for helping me out on this really annoying situation

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!