Which Photo software to use? Want to browse photos also in the RAW format

• Hello All,

Photos

On my OMV server I have got photos from my phone which are in easy in jpeg format but I also have got photos from my other camera which are in RAW format (CR2). What I want is to be able to view these photos on the local network. I did read some fora to see what I kind of software I would need. I the fora I did read the remark: "RAW photos are not for browsers but they are for editing!" So I think I need to explain my user-case a little better.

I am relative new to DLSR camera's this means I want to learn form the photos I make, for instance I can take the 'same' photo with 3 different settings and when I am at home I like to have a look at the photos and the data of the settings to see what the effect was of the settings. This means I intentionally do not trow away all the photos with errors.

When I take a look at the photos with the kids, I just want to browse trough the photos in this case I do not care if they are JPEG or RAW I just want to see the funny moments.

It would be great if I just could copy everything to the server and have software automatically make thumbnails from the RAW photos. The RAW photos are about 25MB If I would load a page with 20 photos this will take a long time. Another reason is RAW is not supported on all devices.

It would be great If I could also watch the pictures on different devices like android phones / tablets, Windows and Linux PC's Chromebook etc.

Movies

at a later time it would be great to have the possibility to trans code movies to a smaller format if the client needs it, but this may wait for a later 'server update'

I did just try Lychee but it does not seem to do the job It can not show RAW photos. There is a lot of other software available but I do not know if the RAW pictures are automatically translated to jpeg I can also not easily find what the costs are.

your help is appreciated!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have tried every one I could find a docker-compose.yml for:

• Photoshow
    • Piwigo
    • Photoprism
    • Picapport
    • Lychee
    • Piwigo
    • Plex
    • DigiKam
    • Nextcloud

Plex does the best job for me. It handles jpeg, png, cr2, dng. I also use DigiKam which shares the same data folders. It is great for quick and easy light editing such as red-eye removal, rotate, and bulk rename. DigiKam is great for viewing on the computer while we usually view our photos on the tv with Plex. Both have slideshow capabilities.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• I have tried every one I could find a docker-compose.yml for:

• Photoshow
    • Piwigo
    • Photoprism
    • Picapport
    • Lychee
    • Piwigo
    • Plex
    • DigiKam
    • Nextcloud

Plex does the best job for me. It handles jpeg, png, cr2, dng. I also use DigiKam which shares the same data folders. It is great for quick and easy light editing such as red-eye removal, rotate, and bulk rename. DigiKam is great for viewing on the computer while we usually view our photos on the tv with Plex. Both have slideshow capabilities.

Hello Agricola,

thanks for your reply,

Is Plex an expensive program you have to pay for?

At this time I have got a folder structure with different folders will Plex not change this structure? So will Plex not place the thumbnails etc. in the original folders?

• You´ll find more information about Plex Media Server here: Plex Media Server

Is Plex an expensive program you have to pay for?

The basic functionality is free of charge. If you want to stream your media to the internet, it is necessary to buy a plex pass.

At this time I have got a folder structure with different folders will Plex not change this structure? So will Plex not place the thumbnails etc. in the original folders?

Plex can work with read only folders. Plex uses a database for meta data (thumbnails, covers, media information,...) and doesn´t change the original folders. It is possible to delete files from the Plex GUI, but then this is a intentional process.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

Plex does way more than just manage your photos, so in some ways it’s over kill, but one of the things you mentioned was the ability to handle raw photo files. That combined with the fact that Plex works with your file system and places the metadata in its own config folders is why I have stuck with it. I also really like DigiKam because it has an image editor, and handles raw, and has a slideshow. There are no Roku or mobile apps for it so if you want to share photos on a large tv screen, Plex is the way to go.

Plex can be used free but eventually you will want the paid features: live TV & DVR, which is the ability to watch and record over-the-air broadcasts, and the ability to watch content on your server outside of your LAN. Here’s a link explaining it more fully.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You might be interested in another more current thread on this subject here.

I have been using Plex for the most part, mainly because it provides three critical features:

1. Support for RAW files
    2. Slide show capabilities
    3. Roku and iOS apps

Another plus with Plex for me is I am already using it to manage all of my other media types. Jellyfin is another option I am currently working with.

Because of the thread I mentioned above I have revisited PhotoShow and PhotoPrism. PhotoShow doesn’t handle RAW and has no Roku or iOS apps available. PhotoPrism has a much more robust feature set but still no apps. PhotoPrism is very promising.

I have tried PiWiGo some time ago. Since it does not allow you to keep your files where you want, in hierarchical date labeled folders, it is a non starter for me.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!