newly attached USB drive makes OMV unable to reboot

• Offizieller Beitrag

Apologies for butting in

It's all good.

the above would suggest that the bios is controlling the boot order, yes you can set a machine to boot from usb, but in some cases you also have to 'set' the boot order within the bios, i.e. set the flash drive first.

There's so much variation. I had one machine with BIOS that would boot from USB, but on one specific port only. But, as you say, some have a boot menu and can detect bootable devices, allowing configuration of a discrete device boot order. Interestingly, my Intel mobo won't boot from a verified bootable drive that's attached by a transparent HBA, and it's a server grade mobo. With the Intel mobo, the boot drive must be on a SATA port or USB connected.

• Thanks guys for your explanations and help!

In my last post I asked a "wrong" question: The question is not why OMV prefers to boot the 5 TB USB drive (which is not bootable) instead to boot from the 32 GB bootable USB stick. I asked the wrong question because OMV never tried to boot from the 5 TB USB drive. Instead, OMV tries to boot from the internal hdd as soon as the external 5 TB USB drive is attached. Since the internal hdd is not bootable anymore, OMV halts on reboot as long as the 5 TB USB drive is attached.

So this means I might solve the issue by configuring the BIOS that the internal drive has to be excluded from boot. However, I'm still wondering why my current configuration is not working (also crashtest confirmed, that it should work since he is using a similar configuration). I may reinstall OMV just to be sure that I can reproduce the issue - or not. Maybe OMV got messed up somewhere.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV tries to boot from the internal hdd as soon as the external 5 TB USB drive is attached

That is odd behaviour, it would suggest that the bios is bypassing the 32GB flash drive, with everything attached/connected if you enter the bios setup does it display all the devices connected to it.

When you installed OMV to the flash drive was the internal drive disconnected.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Interestingly, my Intel mobo won't boot from a verified bootable drive that's attached by a transparent HBA, and it's a server grade mobo.

I was thinking of doing that but with a USB3 card and asked another user who had one, whilst it would work you could not boot from it, something to do with the initialisation of the PCie slot the card is in.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, the internal drive has always been connected

I still believe this is boot order issue, but when I played around with an old laptop I removed the internal drive.

What about the bios does it show the usb flash drive?

• What about the bios does it show the usb flash drive?

After having enabled USB as boot drive in the BIOS, I made the computer headless. So I would need to attach monitor and keyboard again to look into the bios which I wanted to avoid because the computer is a bit difficult to physically access.

• I looked into the BIOS (and may post photos if you like). Even if I disabled to boot from the internal hdd (only USB devices were enabled to boot), OMV did not boot as long as the 5 TB USB drive was attached!

The computer has 6 USB ports. Two of them are USB-3. My two USB devices were connected on these USB-3 ports. No matter which of the USB-3 ports has been used by the 5 TB USB drive, OMV did not boot as long the 32 GB USB stick was plugged in the other USB-3 port.

However, if I plug the 32 GB USB stick into an USB-2 port, then OMV booted correctly even when the 5 TB USB drive is plugged into an USB-3 port.

That's an odd behaviour, isn't?

Do you think it can be fixed with a new installation of OMV?

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's an odd behaviour, isn't

No, depends on the flash drive, computers are smart enough to locate where a boot loader is, is the usb stick usb2 or usb3 .

Do you think it can be fixed with a new installation of OMV

No, leave the flash drive in the usb2 port

• No, depends on the flash drive, computers are smart enough to locate where a boot loader is,

Apparently not. When both USB drives are plugged into the USB-3 ports, the computer apparently only sees that the 5 TB USB drive is not bootable, does not look at the other (bootable) USB device and tries/tried to boot from the internal hdd (when this was still set in the BIOS).

• Offizieller Beitrag

However, if I plug the 32 GB USB stick into an USB-2 port, then OMV booted correctly even when the 5 TB USB drive is plugged into an USB-3 port.

That's an odd behaviour, isn't?

Not really. USB devices can conflict. It's happened before and it's not uncommon. (Plug in a scanner and the printer doesn't work.)

Here's the bottom line:
    Your boot drive doesn't need USB3, even if it's a USB3 thumbdrive. OMV is small and boots pretty fast, so if USB2 works for the OMV thumbdrive, that's the solution.

And if the 5TB will work in a USB3 plug, that's excellent. Large file I/O really benefits from USB3's higher throughput.

If you look at the hardware USB hubs on that PC, you'd notice that there are at least two different hubs - one for USB3 and one for USB2. There must be some sort of conflict between the thumbdrive, and the USB bridge in the external drive. Putting them on separate buses cleared that up.

• Yes, I had the same conclusion. Thanks crashtest for confirming it!

Since I had to physically access my old computer, I found an unused 250 GB Samsung EVO SSD which fits into my OMV computer. So I will install OMV on that internal SSD which avoids the USB conflict.

But hey, I learned something new thanks to you guys! :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since I had to physically access my old computer, I found an unused 250 GB Samsung EVO SSD which fits into my OMV computer. So I will install OMV on that internal SSD which avoids the USB conflict.

I'd so go with a thumbdrive to boot because they're dirt simple to clone, for easy OS backup. -> Guide (page 75 in the current version). Also, a thumbdrive saves you a SATA port which may come in handy later for expansion.

In any case, you're set.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'd so go with a thumbdrive to boot because they're dirt simple to clone, for easy OS backup. -> Guide (page 75 in the current version). Also, a thumbdrive saves you a SATA port which may come in handy later for expansion.

Good advise! Key word here: backup. Oh, and easy.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!