How I 'Renamed' My WebUI Admin Username

• Hello, I'm a new OMV user and spent a lot of time to figure out how to change the WebUI username. I read everywhere and what I found was like this is not supported by OMV so maybe my workaround can help somebody out there.

So here's what this thread is about: Rename the default 'admin' user to something else

Enough said, here's what I did:

1. In the web UI, create a new user and put the user inside 'openmediavault-admin' group. Don't forget to Save and Apply of course.

2. Try logging out from your web UI and log back in with the new username you just created. If it works, now let's proceed to the next step. Don't proceed if you can't log in with the new username you created with step #1.

3. Let's delete the default 'admin' user. SSH into OMV as root (or as sudoer user and prefix the command with sudo) and do userdel admin

4. Now we need to modify the omv-env 'OMV_WEBGUI_ADMINUSER_NAME' (which default to admin) to the username you created above. You can do it by following this documentation: https://openmediavault.readthe…n/5.x/various/advset.html. For the simplicity, just open the file /etc/default/openmediavault and find the line: OMV_WEBGUI_ADMINUSER_NAME=admin and change it to OMV_WEBGUI_ADMINUSER_NAME=yournewuser (replace yournewuser with the username you created above of course). Why is this step needed? Because if you don't do this, OMV script will recreate the default 'admin' username again whenever you update your omv package.

Thank you. And maybe someone else can give me any advice if this is not recommended in some way. ;)

• geaves

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

With all due respect picking up old threads which have asked a similar question and redirecting them here is not really cricket and fills the forum with unnecessary redirection.

As I said if this is approved and accepted it will be moved

• With all due respect picking up old threads which have asked a similar question and redirecting them here is not really cricket and fills the forum with unnecessary redirection.

As I said if this is approved and accepted it will be moved

Oh sorry for that, so I should delete the other posts?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I honestly cannot fathom peoples obsession with this. In most home setups, which is what OMV is geared towards, a vast majority of the time 1 person is managing the server. Surely you don't want to make all users admin's who can log in through the webUI, as someone who doesn't know what they are doing could easily cause some havoc.

What is wrong with just using the admin account? This just seems to be making a mountain out of a molehill. I wouldn't even suggest it for a thread in General, let alone a thread in the guide section.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Everybody’s different, but some folks are more different than others.

• How long before someone posts saying they want to rename the root user?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Using admin is a security risk. Even if you don't expose omv5 web to the internet, if something gets into your network the first thing they do is test ports, or, worse, open every port using UPNP (never leave this enabled) just to see what they can get to. Once they find the port knowing it is the default omv5 web port gives them the username. And yes, root on linux has the same problem. This is why root access should be disabled always in favor of sudo. This is no joke, several of the ransomware events started with a breakin using well known account names as a first step. Thanks for the instructions how to eliminate admin!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Using admin is a security risk. Even if you don't expose omv5 web to the internet, if something gets into your network the first thing they do is test ports, or, worse, open every port using UPNP (never leave this enabled) just to see what they can get to. Once they find the port knowing it is the default omv5 web port gives them the username. And yes, root on linux has the same problem. This is why root access should be disabled always in favor of sudo. This is no joke, several of the ransomware events started with a breakin using well known account names as a first step. Thanks for the instructions how to eliminate admin!

You're still not accounting for the fact that an even bigger problem is weak/default passwords. I disagree strongly about sudo. There is no difference between a root account being compromised, and a user account being compromised at that point.. To me, the smarter thing is to not allow remote logins via SSH as root, and do not give users sudo access (I'm assuming of course they are trying to gain access over ssh). This is going to require cracking 2 passwords to do any real significant damage... which again if you're using good passwords... most of the script kiddies, etc.. will move on to an easier target. If you're against a determined, legitimate hacker... eventually they are going to find a way in to almost any system that is connected to the Internet.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for the instructions how to eliminate admin!

These are old instrutions. Anyone in the openmediavault-admin group can now be admin. Add a different user to the group and remove admin from that group and/or delete the user.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!