OMV - Portainer - Plex - Permissions

• I am trying to understand some of the permissions that are occurring between Plex/Docker/OMV. The plex server is active and functioning as required from the web GUI, the server is claimed and I can see my other NAS Plex servers running, import of the files (in this case photos) was successful...everything seems good.

BUT, the goal of this smaller NAS was to automatically back up photos from the IOS plex app through the Camera Upload function. When I press the "Upload Now" button it just flashes through and stops but nothing is uploaded. I have tried to create new albums through the IOS app to see if they are actually created on the drive and they are not. I have verified that the this user can read/write (atleast through SMB) but what else could be missing? In this case, OMV was logged in under admin to create and run Plex in Portainer.

• so installed plex through docker using the admin account. I have logged in through SMB with the same admin account and was able to share files. So I am assuming they do??

Should I back out of that account and into a lower level one and install through docker that way and see if it changes anything?

• Offizieller Beitrag

o installed plex through docker using the admin account

When setting up the container, did you specify a UID and GID like here

[How-To] Install Plex Media Server (PMS) container using OMV and docker-compose?

Did you install from command line or from Portainer?

When you say you imported pictures, I guess you mean you were able to read a library which contains these pictures. That means you have read access. Question now is, do you also have write access. Well, actually it is not you, it is the user that is running the container that needs to have write access. And this user specified by the UID and GID.

• I installed through Portainer. I have played with the UID and GID's with different user that I granted read/write access to, redeployed and same thing. So plex can read all of the photos and it load perfectly. The current UID and GID are 998 and 100

I should have been more specific on imported. I can copy through SMB from my phone or desktop to the shared drive without issue.

• Offizieller Beitrag

UID 998 is probably not a good choice. "normal" users that have been created via the GUI of OMV start with 1000.

Those users are members of the group "users". When you create a shared folder, these users have read/write access to those folders on filesystem level.

I would try to run Plex with UID 1000 and GID 100.

• UID 998 is probably not a good choice. "normal" users that have been created via the GUI of OMV start with 1000.

Those users are members of the group "users". When you create a shared folder, these users have read/write access to those folders on filesystem level.

I would try to run Plex with UID 1000 and GID 100.

Thanks for the tip, I found a guide that said to use those settings as well, It felt iffy if i should have used them.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!