Will OpenMediaVault serve my needs?

• Hi guys,

Just wanted to check if you would recommend me going for OpenMediaVault instead of Debian.

My idea was to use Debian as my NAS OS and want to mount the internal drive to allow the Macs connected to my home network to read/write data to and from it. A Google Drive, but my own version of it. A share accessible from the Finder for all Macs.

What’s your advice? Go for OMV or should I just install Debian?

Also, is there something I should be looking for if I wanted to create a network share? Higher speeds would be fine. Does OpenMediaVault install on a USB drive or run from the internal drive?

Hardware:

• Sharkoon QB One case
    • Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI
    • Intel Core i3 3225
    • 8GB RAM
    • 2 TB hard drive
    • Extra SSD for the OS if that’s necessary.
  • OMV is based on Debian. Since there are limitations when OMV is installed from its own installation media like putting data in the root partitions and so on, I always prefer to install a plain Debian stable from Debian official netinst, tune it a bit and then install OMV on top: there's a guide for that.

This way you can configure the partitions and use them the way you want, keeping full control of the underlying system like /etc/fstab, /etc/crypttab that I use to encrypt /home and similar customization.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What’s your advice? Go for OMV or should I just install Debian?

OMV. It will do what you are looking for.

Does OpenMediaVault install on a USB drive or run from the internal drive?

Either one works. If you install on usb, make sure to install the flashmemory plugin.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!