r-sync error for renaming aquota.group and others.

• Hello all,

After spending many hours with the good people of the forum, setting up nextcloud on my OMV5 machine, the first thing I want to do is a local mirror of the data drive so that I can just swap drives if disaster strikes. I have enabled the rsync job in System>Scheduled jobs, like so:

rsync -av /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-234ddefe-df8d-4d5e-91f9-8b0375a0d13f/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-10ea8d36-b524-4e24-b461-6f04f4cd4581/

I have purposefully omitted the --delete switch on the first run as advised in the user manual and for obvious reasons. Anyway, it looks like the job is a success, apart from an error at the end:

Now, I am guessing that this means that there is a permissions problem in overwriting aquota.group and aquota.user on the destination drive, and I assume that I will need to overwrite these files for the mirrored data to be accurate.

Can I just delete these files (on the source drive) through the CL and then run the job or will it run into this problem everytime it runs?

Thanks,

Nick.

EDIT: Or can i just exclude them from the copy, will it make any difference as I'm not sure what those directories (aquota.group and aquota.user) are for?

Another EDIT: OK, so excluding the files allows the job to run without errors. If this isn''t what i should be doing, please tell me. I will mark the thread as resolved.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

omv 6.9.2-1 (Shaitan) | 64 bit | Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.11-amd64 | Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz | Dell PowerEdge R210 8GB RAM

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Nick0 ()

• Nick0

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • If you don't use quotas then the aquota.* files are not used and you can exclude them from your backups.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I take it that you're using exclude statements? Such as --exclude='aquota.group' --exclude='aquota.user'

Another question: As some point, did you turn user home directories turned on? (In Access Rights Management, User, in the Settings tab.)

• If you don't use quotas then the aquota.* files are not used and you can exclude them from your backups.

I guess their purpose should have been self-explanatory, but no, I don't use quotas so will continue to exclude these files. Thanks for your help.

I take it that you're using exclude statements? Such as --exclude='aquota.group' --exclude='aquota.user'

Another question: As some point, did you turn user home directories turned on? (In Access Rights Management, User, in the Settings tab.)

Yes, I am using rsync -av --delete --exclude 'aquota.group' --exclude 'aquota.user' /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid...

I have never touched the home directories setting, so this is off.

Thanks,

Nick.

I ride bikes a long way.
    longbikejourney.com

omv 6.9.2-1 (Shaitan) | 64 bit | Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.11-amd64 | Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 V2 @ 3.10GHz | Dell PowerEdge R210 8GB RAM

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have never touched the home directories setting, so this is off.

Thanks,

Nick.

I appreciate the responses and info.

I'm trying to determine why the quota files (aquota.group and aquota.user) are problems when using rsync on a small number of installations. Thus far, there doesn't appear to be a common cause.

• Hi... same problem and same solution (--exclude='aquota.group' --exclude='aquota.user' in rsync parameters). OMV 5.6.7-1 on custom built AMD Rysen 3 dedicated OMV Server.

| OMV 7.0.4-2 Sandworm | AMD64 | Ryzen 3 3200G | 1x1TB SATA HDD (System) | 1x4TB SATA HDD Data 1x2TB SATA HDD Backup (Rsync) |

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!