Running emby on OMV5

• I am running emby on omv 5 and it keeps losing the permissions to write to the drive and delete from the drives that make up my library. how in the world do i set this so it doesnt happen anymore. i have a bunch of recordings that didn't happen due to this. thank you all for the help in advance.:/:/

• emby keeps getting errors that it does not have permission to write to the drives. i go to shared folders in omv and reset permissions to everyone read and write. that fixes it for a minute but then it does it again.

• I had the same issue. To fix it, I went to Access Rights Management/Shared Folders in the OMV web GUI, selected the shared folder containing my Emby libraries, clicked the ACL button and then checked the user/group permission boxes for read/write next to the emby user and group.

That gave my Emby installation full permissions to read, write and delete media files.

I should add that I run Emby directly on the system, not as a Docker container. I don't know if Emby creates a new user for itself when installing within Docker, but you could do this manually, then run the Docker container as that user and proceed to set ACL permissions as above.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I thought it was not recommended to allow Emby and Plex to delete?

There was a monster thread on the Emby forum (that unfortunately is private now) a guy lost over over 15tb of movies, etc. because of some obscure issue the maintainer did not catch during an upgrade. As as a safety precaution, Emby by default was set to read only on all it's data drives. The same thing has happened to Plex in the past, FWIW.

Edit: Here's the thread I started here when it happened w/ links (you might be able to find them on archive)... Like I said, that's a safety mechanism I'm not sure I'd bypass...

PSA for those using Docker and Emby

• I thought it was not recommended to allow Emby and Plex to delete?

That's the first time I've heard about anything like this. :huh: (Or ever had an issue like it!)

Of course, it only further demonstrates the importance of a true backup, for one thing.

The other is - I can't imagine that Emby is so badly written it would ever delete entire libraries without user error playing a role in it. It also lets you disable permission to delete (and only delete) any media files on a per-user basis - meaning Emby user profiles, not OMV system users.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on a system level (access permissions for users/groups and ACL lists), you can't enable write (create) and delete permissions separately, can you? It's either be able to delete, or be read-only... only.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Again, I don't use either (I just use Kodi pointed at some network shares).. but I don't think it's the idea that it is "badly written"... it was an obscure bug that was missed during the update. That can (and often does) happen with any software, it just usually doesn;t result in massive data loss. I wish it was still available to read, as its been a while and I don't recall the particulars. The guy was pretty upset of course.

IIRC, the easiest way to set this up, is when the container is setup.. simply set the media folders to read only in the container settings. The Emby/Plex GUI can then still remove media from the database, but can't delete an actual file. You would need to do that with an OMV user either at the command line level or even over SMB/NFS I guess. Adding media would have to be done the same way. Add it over a network share, etc.. then do a scan of your library and it should be picked up.

• Even disabling media deletion within Plex will not 100% protect user media files from deletion by Plex if they are improperly placed in the filesystem.

A recent post in the Plex forum detailed what happened when a user placed all his media files in directories below /var/lib/plexmediaserver

Plex did a routine recursive chown plex:plex on that directory and apparently decided that those media files didn't belong there and since it had now owned them and had internal to the program permission to delete them all.............poof.

See: https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-media-deleted-media-without-authorization/680577

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• so how do I get emby to always have permissions? i have admin user only made on omv., how do I get it to run directly on the machine? That would be great versus trying to figure out the docker crap. I would need very detailed info on this matter as I know virtually nothing about Linux.

• Method 1 - Command line

Go to the Emby server download page and select Debian from the dropdown menu. (Alternatively, you can grab the correct Debian package directly from the Github page.)

Copy the downloaded file from your PC to the OMV server (simplest way: to any shared folder).

Open an SSH terminal and log in as root. Browse to the folder containing the package file and execute

Code
    dpkg -i emby-server-deb_<current version>_amd64.deb

replacing <current version> with the actual version number, which as of the time of this post is 4.5.4.0.

When the installation completes, Emby Server will be up and running. Open a web browser to http://<your OMV server IP>:8096 to set up Emby.

Method 2 - Apt tool (OMV web GUI)

Open the web GUI. If you don't have Services/Apt Tool yet, go to System/Plugins, then find and install openmediavault-apttool.

Now go to Apt Tool. Select the Search tab and enter emby-server in the search field. Click on Search Repositories and highlight the entry it finds (there should only be one). Click on Add to Packages Tab.

At this point, emby-server should show up in the Packages tab. It won't! You'll need to force the Apt Tool plugin to refresh by going to any other OMV menu (doesn't matter which one), then back to Apt Tool.

Now, highlight the newly added emby-server again, and from the Tools sub-menu select Install.

• apt-tool will not find emby-server because it isn't in any of the stock OMV repos.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm still trying to figure out why write access is such an issue. To me, docker seems to be a perfect situation for Emby, Plex, etc... really any media centric container... why would you want to do an install outside of docker?

Can you install Emby server w/ snap?

• how do i navigate to the folders through ssh?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von dont1982 () aus folgendem Grund: I can get to root@opemnmediavault:/dev/disk/by-label# I type dir and get Movie2 Movies Music TVShows i try to cd into Music where the emby file is located and it says Music is not a Directory. I'm lost in this

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!