ipv6 in transmission docker

• Next question. How do I enable transmission inside docker to reach the outside world via ipv6?

First I would need to enable ipv6 for docker. I found a guide here, but I do not know if changes on /etc/docker/daemon.json would not be overwritten by OMV5?

And how to enable ipv6 in transmission itself then?

• Something involving ipv6 is going on inside the docker. When I look at the logs I see it wants to connect to ipv6 adresses, and can't so creates an error.

Code
    [2021-01-23 10:55:28.946] Couldn't connect socket 60 to 2600:1700:c0b0:52d0::45, port 55784 (errno 99 - Address not available) (/home/buildozer/aports/community/transmission/src/transmission-3.00/libtransmission/net.c:339)

[2021-01-23 10:55:56.945] Couldn't connect socket 58 to 2a02:2f0e:ca00:c800:750f:741f:a4e8:e326, port 11634 (errno 99 - Address not available) (/home/buildozer/aports/community/transmission/src/transmission-3.00/libtransmission/net.c:339)

So can I assume that transmission inside the docker is already trying to use ipv6, and it just cant because docker is not letting it through?

• Good question. I just assumed it did since it is, well, 2021.

I want to have ipv6 for transmission because in Germany (where I live) many residential connections are ipv6 only. Those people can only connect to old ipv4 addresses through Carrier-Grade-NAT.

For everything staying in my local network ipv6 is not needed of course.

EDIT:

looks like ipv6 is enabled?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I want to have ipv6 for transmission because in Germany (where I live) many residential connections are ipv6 only.

For everything staying in my local network ipv6 is not needed of course

So you're saying that omv is using ipv4, but for docker to work in ipv6 you would need to set up ipv6 on your nic in omv. So in network -> interfaces try setting ipv6 to dhcp if it's currently set as disabled.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is already done by default

AFAIK for docker to use ipv6 that's all you should need to do as you don't configure ipv4 for docker, but the daemon.json in omv just points to where the docker storage is.

Edit: Have a look in System Information -> Report, the section Network Interfaces

• Have a look in System Information -> Report, the section Network Interfaces

Ok, that is the same info as when you type "ip addr" in the terminal. There is one section for the docker:

Code
    5: docker0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default
    link/ether 02:42:cf:c8:2f:07 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 172.17.0.1/16 brd 172.17.255.255 scope global docker0
    valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 fe80::42:cfff:fec8:2f07/64 scope link
    valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

So it seems ipv6 is already running for docker? I feel stupid now. :/

• Offizieller Beitrag

This -> inet6 fe80::42:cfff:fec8:2f07/64 scope link that I think is the netmask i.e. subnet

What it doesn't show is an actual ipv6 address for ipv6 perhaps it doesn't require one as docker is in bridge unless specified in a container. Whilst I don't have ipv6 enabled it shows nothing under the nic for inet6, but it does display an inet6 entry under docker0

• Ok, lets just look at the complete output of ip addr:

I have been meditating over this now for some time, without really coming to a conclusion...

The only thing I can say is that I can only see ipv4 peers in transmission. And that it is highly unlikely that there are just no ipv6 peers trying to connect.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is only one option that might be worth a try, have you set up transmission using stacks?

If so then it just might be worth adding network to the stack and setting it as host. I did this to my Emby stack, the reason being when there was no network specified the Emby WebUI came back with a 172 address, whilst this worked as it was 'bridged' it just didn't look right.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!