Pcie sata expansion

• petrut85

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Pcie sat expqmder“ zu „Pcie sata expansion“ geändert.
  • Hi, please tell us more about the computer it should be added to and your technical experience with SAS HDDs

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• SAS cards are backwards compatible with SATA drives.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hello I want to upgrade my storage space qnd i need a pcie 2x1 card i want to add 3 more hdd. Can u recomand one pcie expansion it is best to choose sas or sata ?

Thanks

Hi there.
    To recommend anything we need more information, especially your motherboard model or your PCI-e slot version. One thing I can say about SATA controllers is that I would vote against using more that 2 SATA ports controller in PCI-e 2.0 slot (common in mini-ITX boards) but if you have PCI-e 3.0 x1 you could easily go 4 ports SATA controller as throughput will be enough for 4 HDD's. Different story if you want to connect SSD's.

• Hi there.
    To recommend anything we need more information, especially your motherboard model or your PCI-e slot version. One thing I can say about SATA controllers is that I would vote against using more that 2 SATA ports controller in PCI-e 2.0 slot (common in mini-ITX boards) but if you have PCI-e 3.0 x1 you could easily go 4 ports SATA controller as throughput will be enough for 4 HDD's. Different story if you want to connect SSD's.

So motherboard is an asrock j5040 whit pcie 2.0

• Hello . And what card do u recomand ? U can give me model ? To be compatible whit pcie2x1 ?

I can't make any specific recommendations. I can tell you what I use though. My MB is an ASRock Rack C2550D4I Mini iTX with a single PCIe 2.0x8 slot.

I installed an LSI 9200-8e card into my OMV. This card has two external sff-8088 connectors for connection to an external drive chassis. You would probably want a card with internal sff-8087 connectors that you would connect forward SATA breakout cables to. Each port on the card can connect to up to four SATA or SAS hard drives.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I can't make any specific recommendations. I can tell you what I use though. My MB is an ASRock Rack C2550D4I Mini iTX with a single PCIe 2.0x8 slot.

I installed an LSI 9200-8e card into my OMV. This card has two external sff-8088 connectors for connection to an external drive chassis. You would probably want a card with internal sff-8087 connectors that you would connect forward SATA breakout cables to. Each port on the card can connect to up to four SATA or SAS hard drives.

What do u think about this ? https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07NT…apa_i_q11cGb9D622PQ?psc=1

• I have no opinion on that type of card other than to say I wouldn't use one.

--

• If I can get an LSI SAS HBA card that is the same price per port as a no name SATA card, why would I choose the no name card?

--

• well established "brand" card with same price per port as a no name SATA card, why would I choose the no name card?

Agree with gderf, 'no name card' means usually no technical support, while brands have a reputation to loose and therefore provide support to professionals (at least to some extent).

Used server hardware from brands is cheap to get.

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Offizieller Beitrag

I looked at both (card and mobo) and it appears that it should work. The card "claims" to be supported by Linux 2.6.X and up, but there's no knowing if it has native kernel support, or if there's a linux driver on the included CD. If it's a driver, that might be bad news. Along these lines; hardware drivers that are supposed to work with "Linux 2.6 and up" don't always work with Kernel's in the 4.x and 5.x range. That comes from experience.

The card seems to be well reviewed. If I was you, I'd comb through the reviews searching for "Linux" and specifically for "Debian" or, perhaps, Ubuntu. If users were successful in installing and using the card with a recent Debian distro (stretch or buster) it "might" be worth taking a chance. The only way I'd take that chance is if there's a return guarantee from Amazon. If it doesn't work, send it back.

I'm with the rest of the crowd on this one. I'd rather go with a used server grade HBA than a new generic card. For other readers, here's some possibilities along those lines. -> Used HBA's

Unfortunately, for your case, those cards won't fit a mini PCI express slot.

• mi-hol If you are going to quote from a post of mine, please don't alter the content of the quote.

--

• So motherboard is an asrock j5040 whit pcie 2.0

I'm using older model from Asrock, namely J4205-ITX and also found 4 sata ports to not be enough. I can tell you what I use and why I've chosen this way of expanding number of SATA ports.

Having PCI-e 2.0 x1 limits your throughput to 500MB/s (theoretical, real speed is lower, probably below 400MB/s) so using sata controller with 4 ports and 4 HDD's connected to it would be a bottleneck even for old HDD's, not even to mention SSD's. So I've went with sata controller with 2 ports, namely Syba SY-PEX40039 (same model number for brand called IOcrest) because it uses same Asmedia (Asus' brand) ASM1061 controller as our motherboards and it's cheap. It works in my setup for almost 5 years now and I haven't had single issue, speed is same as connected directly to motherboard. That's to have 2 additional ports.

Now, our motherboards does not have any more PCI-e slots, but they have spare wifi port, specifically M.2 E key slot (which is exactly PCI-e x1 signal with different slot) and clever Chinese from IOcrest made a little thing to convert this M.2 E key to additional 2 sata ports:

http://iocrest.com/index.php?id=2275

amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/IO-CRES…est&qid=1611440328&sr=8-6

available also at aliexpress directly from manufacturer: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000385259838.html

Bought this tiny thing about half a year ago and it also works very well in my setup. This way I'm using all available PCI-e lanes in my motherboard and each drive has about 200MB/s throughput for itself. For home usage it's enough, at least for me.

I've mentioned some specific brands and stores few times so I would like to make clear than I'm not connected with any of them in any way. Just shared my own experience with those products.

• If I can get an LSI SAS HBA card that is the same price per port as a no name SATA card, why would I choose the no name card?

True. So find him LSI SAS card for PCI-e x1 slot. Never saw such a thing.

It should work as it's old marvell chip and well supported under Linux. But as I said before you will limit your maximum throughput with it. If you are fine with it that's a good cheap choice. One thing to keep in mind is that those old marvell controllers tends to overheat under heavy load and small heatsinks on those boards are often not enough.

If you want to go this route (one card with 4 ports) I would wait for confirmation that new Asmedia ASM1064 controller is supported by linux kernel.

Cards with it are already there:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Kal…set-ASM1064/dp/B08NXTF7BM

But haven't found anything about linux support for that controller. Should be a matter of time though.

• Wow thanks alot for your reply . U are a live changer. And can u confirm if I use this 2 expander card it will work whit omv5 ? And if use this m.2 e key i will have around 200mb pro disk ? 400mb give or take total ? M.2 E key adapter it will hold 6 to 10 tb hdd ? I will use wd red . Thanks

• Both of the cards I was referring to will work with OMV 5. I'm sure because I use 'em with OMV.
    Answering about speed, I can't confirm if they will allow 200MB/s speeds as my WD 4TB drives cannot achieve it. I'm getting about 125 MB/s when copying files between internally connected WD40EFRX and another WD40EFRX connected to IOcrest M.2 E key to SATA adapter. Not sure if higher capacity REDs will get higher speed numbers, never used one of those.

I said that drives will have available throughput of ~200MB/s (per HDD) using those controllers not that those are the speeds that your WD REDs will hit. RED's are not the fastest drivers out there and are not meant to be. But if you connect 4 RED's to 4 SATA port controller sitting in PCI-e 2.0 x1 slot you won't even hit 125MB/s as speed will be limited to ~100MB/s (if all of the 4 drives are being used simultaneously).

I cannot guarantee if 10TB drive will work with JMB582 controller but I see no reason why it should't. Only drive capacity limits I've read about were referring to old Marvell controllers. Newer ones like ASmedia's and JMB's should support it.

Here is a shot from copying 15GB files in total to WD40EFRX connected to IOcrest M.2 E key controller:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!