Raid 10 failure to mount, root in emergency mode

• Hello and let me introduce myself as saying I am as newbie as they come. A few weeks back I decided to try my luck with turning an old computer into a server. After researching for some time (youtube and net) I decided on OMV. My goal was to be able to transfer disk images of our families computers (Acronis) and place them on the network drive and use a USB backup from there. Originally I ran a mirror but a recent purchase of 2 more HDDs gave me the opportunity for RAID 10. I recently completed a fresh install of OMV 5.x and with all drives wiped and proceeded to create the array. Once competed the console shown it was running in 'emergency mode' and the OMV GUI would not mount the array and produced an error dialog. I wiped all drives and began another fresh install of OMV 5.x and attempted once again to create the array. The same result was noted. I have gone back to the mirror (using the new drives, old drives prior) with no problems. Curiosity is getting the best of me: Is it my lack of knowledge or something else? I am posting the error dialog given and if anyone would like to give an opinion including "you suck, go back to MS" I am ok with that :P. Thanks to all who post here as you were a big help when I encountered the Realtek r8168 LAN issue.

Raid 10 error dialog:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; omv-salt deploy run --no-color fstab 2>&1' with exit code '1': debian: ---------- ID: create_filesystem_mountpoint_0eda26a6-c63e-423e-8673-e43f1efb70a3 Function: file.accumulated Result: True Comment: Accumulator create_filesystem_mountpoint_0eda26a6-c63e-423e-8673-e43f1efb70a3 for file /etc/fstab was charged by text Started: 04:58:18.000968 Duration: 0.672 ms Changes: ---------- ID: mount_filesystem_mountpoint_0eda26a6-c63e-423e-8673-e43f1efb70a3 Function: mount.mounted Name: /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-dd0964ea-69aa-4796-952e-09db61e0f5a3 Result: False Comment: mount: /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-dd0964ea-69aa-4796-952e-09db61e0f5a3: mount(2) system call failed: Structure needs cleaning. Started: 04:58:18.002188 Duration: 126.166 ms Changes: ---------- ID: append_fstab_entries Function: file.blockreplace Name: /etc/fstab Result: True Comment: No changes needed to be made Started: 04:58:18.130535 Duration: 11.563 ms Changes: Summary for debian ------------ Succeeded: 2 Failed: 1 ------------ Total states run: 3 Total run time: 138.401 ms

Error #0: OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; omv-salt deploy run --no-color fstab 2>&1' with exit code '1': debian: ---------- ID: create_filesystem_mountpoint_0eda26a6-c63e-423e-8673-e43f1efb70a3 Function: file.accumulated Result: True Comment: Accumulator create_filesystem_mountpoint_0eda26a6-c63e-423e-8673-e43f1efb70a3 for file /etc/fstab was charged by text Started: 04:58:18.000968 Duration: 0.672 ms Changes: ---------- ID: mount_filesystem_mountpoint_0eda26a6-c63e-423e-8673-e43f1efb70a3 Function: mount.mounted Name: /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-dd0964ea-69aa-4796-952e-09db61e0f5a3 Result: False Comment: mount: /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-dd0964ea-69aa-4796-952e-09db61e0f5a3: mount(2) system call failed: Structure needs cleaning. Started: 04:58:18.002188 Duration: 126.166 ms Changes: ---------- ID: append_fstab_entries Function: file.blockreplace Name: /etc/fstab Result: True Comment: No changes needed to be made Started: 04:58:18.130535 Duration: 11.563 ms Changes: Summary for debian ------------ Succeeded: 2 Failed: 1 ------------ Total states run: 3 Total run time: 138.401 ms in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:182 Stack trace: #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/engine/module/serviceabstract.inc(62): OMV\System\Process->execute() #1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(167): OMV\Engine\Module\ServiceAbstract->deploy() #2 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Config->applyChanges(Array, Array) #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(149): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array) #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(588): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatuspc...', '/tmp/bgoutputWm...') #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(159): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure)) #7 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(189): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array) #8 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Config->applyChangesBg(Array, Array) #9 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)

The frustration of a problem comes not from the source of said problem but rather the lack of knowledge/ability to solve it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Emergency mode usually means the system doesn't know where it's booting from. But the question is why are you using a Raid set up coming from a Windows environment.

But getting back to the problem, can you supply some details on your hardware and how you have installed OMV.

• RAID SETUP: In reality I have been wanting to try a server build for a while, hobby, and Linux has peaked my interest for some time as I am becoming more disgruntled with our "big tech". A move to Ubuntu in a dual boot is coming soon. BTW, I was a DOS user back in the 1980's before windows. I am COMP TIA A+ certified, for whatever that is worth - lower than whale sh*t technician?.

I have OMV installed to a 32gb USB flash drive. All HDDs are 2 TB WD's and all are 64mb cache CMR although 2 are designated NAS and 2 are not. Intel i5 and 8gb RAM. I have the flash memory plug in and have altered the fstab per the instructions - was never a problem in stripe or mirror mode.

I did not reinstall OMV after wiping the drives and mirroring 2 of them, the root is fine. The emergency mode seemed to coincide with the issue of RAID10 as noted above.

Thanks for assisiting geaves.

The frustration of a problem comes not from the source of said problem but rather the lack of knowledge/ability to solve it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you built this yourself or is repurposed i.e. does it have a make and model.

The emergency mode occurs if the hardware cannot locate a boot device for some reason or another, what might be of benefit to yourself is this guide it's written to help users like yourself.

You'll find a better way doing what you want to achieve without using a Raid option.

• Yes, the computer is homebuilt and had no issues as it was a Windows 7 machine before this. Wife is a teacher and with the hybrid system I had to build her a Windows 10 machine. It's imperative that machine stays running so I keep spare parts on hand for an emergency. Thus the reason to keep images of the drive. My 14 yr old boy figured out how to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 for free and has large cache of games. If that machine goes down it would be a nightmare since Win 7 is no longer supported. Simpler to keep an image of his disk also.

My novice opinion was to gain the capacity of 2 drives in raid 0 with the mirroring security of raid 1. USB backup from there.

Thanks for the link, it's all bookmarked and I will begin reading it all soon enough.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thus the reason to keep images of the drive

You can use UrBackup to do that, install the server on OMV, then the client on your Windows machine, it can create an image backup of a system which can be restored using either a bootable CD or USB. It's what I use.

If that machine goes down it would be a nightmare since Win 7 is no longer supported.

Not necessary as W10 creates a digital licence specific for that machine, so technically you can do a clean install of W10 and the licence get activated digitally. I just upgraded a laptop for someone including updating to W10, first cloned the drive, then upgraded the clone to W10 to get the licence key, then did a clean install to an SSD, W10 activated :)

My novice opinion was to gain the capacity of 2 drives in raid 0 with the mirroring security of raid 1

The guide will give you a better option without the grief of understanding software raid.

• I am going to look into UrBackup, I am licensed for Acronis for the next year so I can play around with UrBackup in the meantime.

I was not aware that I could download a clean W10 and still maintain the same license - thank you for that!

I actually enjoy the learning curve. I was going to go with SnapRaid and Mergerfs but finding my way around the root environment is like Helen Keller learning to code. I figured raid 10 would passify my needs as I begin my journey into OMV/Linux.

As I write this all three computers in the household are all connected to OMV. OMV running like a champ, although in mirror mode. I am wondering if there may be a bug in the software with raid 10? .... oh well:

Thanks for all your help! I will begin reading the guide tonight!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am wondering if there may be a bug in the software with raid 10?

TBH the emergency mode after creating the Raid 10 makes no real sense, 'the norm' for emergency mode is the system cannot locate the boot device and considering you're using a thumb drive makes no sense. I'm also assuming the Raid 10 you're attempting, all the drives are connected to the m'board and non are connected to USB.

• I'm sorry, yes all HDDs connected through SATA. To repeat:

After the RAID10 finished syncing everything looked normal. Then I created a file system and when I attempted the mount the error I posted above was noted (GUI). I turned on the console and noticed the root was in emergency mode and it was not when I began the syncing. I rebooted and it stayed in emergency mode until I broke the array down, then upon reboot it everything was normal. Again, I reproduced this two times (RAID10) with complete fresh installs of OMV and all the updates. I did NOT reinstall OMV when I broke the second array down and mirrored just 2 drives, mounted it and I was good to go (still am, reboots and all). This is why I am thinking a bug.

ps - is somehow the part of the boot image getting onto the HDDs during the RAID10 syncing?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Mikky ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

To repeat:

You don't have to repeat, that's like a record with a scratch :)

This is why I am thinking a bug.

It's not a bug, but after a sleeping on this I think the issue is the related to the drives, if two of the drives are repurposed from use on Windows there is a high possibility that there is a small partition on the drives. Possibly the Windows recovery partition, whilst you did the correct option to wipe the drives in OMV for use, wipe only removes the data and signatures from a drive it cannot remove partitions.

The way to do this is to use GParted Live to check for partitions on each of the drives and delete them using GParted, then wipe them again and they should be fine.

• Although GParted displayed no partitions on any drive other than the USB boot, you put me right into the BIOS! The boot priority list had all HDDs prioritized over the USB boot. My bad, I should have verified after installing the new HDDs. I have corrected that error and I am going to attempt RAID 10 one final time. The bug was me?!

• Well geaves, I am now running RAID 10 with no issues, all networked, tested several transfers - good to go!

I thank you for your patience, expertise, advice and nudging.

I have met the bug and the bug was me.;)

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Mikky ()

• macom

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • macom

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!