disk is in read-only mode?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Apparently one of my disks is in read-only mode?. I don't know how this happened or how to fix it.

I was just deleting some files from a shared folder and copying others. Some files won't let me copy them and other files won't let me delete them.

Snapraid has sent me an error email. This is the message.

For what it's worth, the last thing I've done is a backup with rsync. I also activated the recycle bins on all shared folders yesterday. I only have one working docker package, Jellyfin.

SMART says the disks are fine.

If I restart the system it lets me write and delete files for a few minutes, then the disk won't write.

I'm lost, I can't find information about this. Any suggestion? Thanks...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have restarted it several times. When I restart it, it lets me write for a few minutes. Then you can't.

I was copying and deleting files that are in a synology through a windows computer using samba. In case it helps. I have rebooted all 3 machines and it remains the same.

Thank you for responding quickly. :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't seen this before issue but:

Saving state to /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-336149ff-95b4-4cfc-ad09-ab37c7a469a2/snapraid.content...
    Error removing the stale content file '/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-336149ff-95b4-4cfc-ad09-ab37c7a469a2/snapraid.content.tmp'.

You could go here, in the GUI.

Remove the content file from the affected disk.

Reboot.

Then I would navigate to the affected file (snapraid.content.tmp) and delete it.

While you may not have bad SMART counts right now, you might consider running at least a short test on that drive to better determine it's health.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have received an email with this error

Code
    Service:     filesystem_srv_dev-disk-by-uuid-336149ff-95b4-4cfc-ad09-ab37c7a469a2
    Event:       Filesystem flags changed
    Description: filesystem flags changed to ro,relatime,jqfmt=vfsv0,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group

what does this mean?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't understand Anything.

After dinner I sat at the computer and the system was restarting itself.

After that I have tried rsync in sanpraid and it is syncing normally. And I can copy and delete files.

?????

Do I have goblins on the computer?

?????

I mark the thread as solved ..... mysteriously....

• chente

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

You might have something that is surviving a reboot. I'd do a clean restart.

What I mean by a "clean restart":
    - Do a clean shutdown

- Unplug the server
    - Hold the start button ON for 15 seconds, with the power cord disconnected. (This drains all power from the power supply's capacitors.)

- Plug the server in

- Boot up

After that, cross your fingers and hope there's nothing going on with hardware.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'd do a clean restart

It is done. Everything seems to be in order. Thank you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The problem continues. When I restart the system everything is normal. I can write and delete files. I can sync Snapraid.

After a few minutes the disc goes into read mode. I can no longer write or delete files. I can't sync.

It is as if some process were started that changes the operation of the disk.

• chente

Hat das Label gelöst entfernt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat

Service: filesystem_srv_dev-disk-by-uuid-336149ff-95b4-4cfc-ad09-ab37c7a469a2

Event: Filesystem flags changed

Description: filesystem flags changed to ro,relatime,jqfmt=vfsv0,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group

The above looks like the flags for a drive entry in etc/fstab

Removing ro, (readonly), by back spacing three times to remove the characters might make the drive readable again.

Did you backup your USB boot drive?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The output of the lsblk command indicates that all disks are RO in mode 0. The affected disk is sda.

After trying to write a file I get this error.

And after the lsblk command again it seems to be RO in mode 0.

The fstab file shows the same disk settings for all disks. There is no RO option on the sda disk. (I don't know how to copy this file to display it).

Did you backup your USB boot drive?

I have a copy from a week ago. It won't do, I made a lot of changes this week.

I just made a new one.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The system startup log shows various errors.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a copy from a week ago. It won't do, I made a lot of changes this week.

I would try to use it and bring it up to date, if possible.

It won't do, I made a lot of changes this week.

I just made a new one.

If there's something wrong the boot drive you're using, you duplicated the problem in the new copy.

Here's the the logic - this is either a software problem or a hardware problem. (It's starting to look like a hardware problem.)

Booting up on a known good backup would give some indication if there is a software issue. If you don't have the above messages in the startup log, when using the older backup thumbdrive, that might indicate that software is corrupted.

The following indicates that something is going on with /dev/sda

Code
     EXT4-fs warning (device sda1): ext4_end_bio:349: I/O error 10 writing to inode 118489917 starting block 792619264)

/dev/sda needs to be checked with at least a short test. Sometimes SMART doesn't show statistic counts if something is wrong. A drive test will cause SMART statistics to update.

Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 792526848

/dev/sda is producing this error on different blocks.

EXT4-fs (sda1): Delayed block allocation failed for inode 118489917 at logical offset 385024 with max blocks 2048 with error 30
    EXT4-fs (sda1): This should not happen!! Data will be lost
    EXT4-fs error (device sda1) in ext4_writepages:2797: Journal has aborted

More indications that /dev/sda may be failing or there's a motherboard problem on the SATA port.

Jan 24 11:43:07 sotano kernel: [ 0.092175] MDS CPU bug present and SMT on, data leak possible. See https://www.kernel.org/doc/htm…in-guide/hw-vuln/mds.html for more details.

I've never seen this before. It can't be good news.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Run at least a short drive test on /dev/sda.
    I hope you have backup of data you don't want to lose.

• Offizieller Beitrag

fstab is correct.

The sda disk does not have RO.

It occurs to me to remove that disk, format it, and recover the information with SnapRaid. Would it fix the problem?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It occurs to me to remove that disk, format it, and recover the information with SnapRaid. Would it fix the problem?

I don't know for sure. But, think about it. You can't fix a hard drive if it's dying. There's no way to repair them.

DON'T run another SNAPRAID SYNC. You'll be backing up corrupted data which means you won't be able to recover completely.

Again, test the drive with at least a short test. If it was me, I'd do a LONG test. If the drive has problems, order a new one the same size or larger and do a SNAPRAID recovery on that drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know how to do a long test. And every time I do something in linux / OMV I waste three hours reading and looking for information.

I have two other disks like that in a Synology server in RAID 1. I will replace the disk with one of those two. And I'll put that in synology, which is easier to test.

Then I will retrieve the data with SnapRaid and we will see the result.

This system is giving me a lot of problems and work ... I am learning a lot but at a very high price.

• Offizieller Beitrag

First, look at your SMART stat's for the drive with problems:

Under Storage, SMART, and the Devices tab: Click on a drive. Then, using the Edit button, enable SMART monitoring. Do this for all drives.

Look at your SMART stat's. In the Devices tab, select the drive with problems and click the i Information button. Another window will pop up. These are the stat's for the drive.

You're interested in the raw counts for the following which have been associated with drive failure.

SMART 5 – Reallocated_Sector_Count.

SMART 187 – Reported_Uncorrectable_Errors.

SMART 188 – Command_Timeout.

SMART 197 – Current_Pending_Sector_Count.

SMART 198 – Offline_Uncorrectable.

Anything more that 2 or 3 counts in any of the above is cause for concern.

SMART 199 - UltraDMA CRC errors

(This stat is worth a look if a drive is malfunctioning. It's usually related to hardware or a bad / loose cable.)

Setting up drive tests:

In the Scheduled Tests Tab, click the ADD+ button.

Select a drive, in the device line and select a test type, Long or short. The following is an example that would run an automated short test every Sunday at 01:00AM. I do this for all spinning drives.

______________________________________________________________________________________

It's important to note that drive tests can be set up, but NOT enabled.

Tests can still be run manually by clicking on a drive and the RUN button.

Set up a Long test for the suspected drive, don't enable it, and run it manually. (With the run button)

After the test is finished, advise what the stat's show.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Finally I decided to start over with a clean installation ... I have already lost count of how many I have done ... I hope this is the final one.

Thank you very much for the extensive explanation on SMART. Some things I already knew and others are new, you always learn.

I know it's not fair to compare OMV to synology, but I can't help it. I've been with synology for many years and I miss a place where all the information is organized and updated. Here it is very difficult sometimes to find the information. It is all very disaggregated and often in a tremendously technical language, very difficult to understand for a user not used to Linux. On the other hand, it is the only thing missing. Everything else I know I have here and you just have to learn how to use it.

Anyway my congratulations to all OMV developers. They are doing a great job. I'll keep trying, I guess it's a matter of patience and I have a lot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you seen this -> Guide? The illustrations are in English, but there are links to translate the text of the PDF.

With reference to Synology; when there's a hardware problem it's aggravating regardless of the software used.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That guide is here https://openmediavault.readthe…rd-drive-health-and-smart

and google translates it for me on the screen without doing anything. This manual covers many topics but without going into depth and often in technical language. It is assumed that to manage / start in OMV you only have to be a windows user and have knowledge of networks, I have read this somewhere.

I have been looking at the explanation of SMART, for example. When he says that a long test is an "off line" test, it is as if they spoke to me in Chinese. Will I be able to use the data while the test is done? I cant? Will I have the server stopped for 18 hours? Do I have to do something before the disc so that it is "off line"? Do I have to disassemble it? To find the answer I have to start googling what that means ... and in the end it takes three hours to understand everything. Or ask here continuously and bother for nonsense. It is an example, similar things have happened to me with other OMV songs. Sometimes I do things that I don't know what I'm doing, like the "Flash memory" settings, that I have to get into editing fstab and write things that I don't know what they mean. Or the issue of file permissions, which drives me crazy. Finding the detailed explanation is the difficult thing. And the procedures.

Regarding synology, I know that it has its advantages and disadvantages. And I like the drawbacks less and less, that's why I'm here looking for alternatives. :) I hope to get to use OMV as a winchoff over time. You will not get rid of me and my questions. ;):D:D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!