disk is in read-only mode?

• Offizieller Beitrag

This manual covers many topics but without going into depth and often in technical language.

The wiki was, originally, for Linux experts and developers. What I added to it, the "New User Guide" doubled the size of the wiki (+/-). In a word processing document, it's over 80 pages. I didn't go into depth in any topic for a couple reasons. Partly, to keep the length reasonable and, truthfully, because most beginners are not interested in nuts and bolts. I did a walk through format for the purpose of getting a server up and running, with just a bit more added to give users some understanding of what they are doing. I did assume Windows clients would be used because Windows still has the greatest percentage of market share.

and google translates it for me on the screen without doing anything.

Great. That was the intent behind merging it onto the wiki which was finally finished a few days ago. It's good to know language translation is working. Tell me, did the translation make sense?

When he says that a long test is an "off line" test, it is as if they spoke to me in Chinese.

Off line means you can't access the drive while the test is running, so the drive is "off line". And a long test takes much longer than a short test. How long, I can't answer. That depends on spindle speed (rotation speed), the size of the drive, and the drive's condition. A long test does all the diagnostics of a short test AND it tests the surface of the platters. If the test finds an error or a bad spot, the time the test takes is considerably longer as it attempts to reallocate bad sectors.

If time is an issue, run the short test. That's a couple minutes. Given that you're experiencing errors on start up, a short test might be enough to reveal a problem.

To find the answer I have to start googling what that means ... and in the end it takes three hours to understand everything. Or ask here continuously and bother for nonsense.

This is life. Live and learn. I try to help where I can, but trying to troubleshoot from remote is not a perfect science.

Or the issue of file permissions, which drives me crazy. Finding the detailed explanation is the difficult thing. And the procedures.

You and everyone else, to include me. I've been thinking of trying to write something for basic permissions, to try to simplify it for new users, but there are so many scenarios. I'm still thinking about doing something very narrow, for controlling access to OMV server network shares only. That might be useful.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The wiki was, originally, for Linux experts and developers

Now I understand it all. There are still reminiscences of the origin of the text. You have done a great job.

Tell me, did the translation make sense?

Yes. It is perfectly understood. Illustrations in English are not a problem. I have next to my GUI in Spanish if there are doubts.

Zitat

Off line means you can't access the ...

Thanks for the explanation, I will use it well. It was just an example of the problems that I find myself. The famous disk is already in synology running smoothly. I changed one for another.

This is life

so is :thumbup:^^

You and everyone else, to include me. I've been

I get the impression that the problem with this thread came after doing several rsync for a backup. Something changed permissions to many folders and files. I tried to solve it by modifying ACL permissions and I didn't get anything. Is it possible that this ends up affecting the access of a disk? I had files copied to various sites. I made copies with rsync from a synology, from windows, from OMV between two disks ... it was varied.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Something changed permissions to many folders and files. I tried to solve it by modifying ACL permissions and I didn't get anything. Is it possible that this ends up affecting the access of a disk?

I can tell you why this happens. Since you're pulling files from another machine, the files are coming from a foreign volume. The local server's root account, must take control of what are new files (that have never been on the local machine before) so the default local permissions create mask is used. (Usually root:root 0644)

I correct that by changing permissions back to what I want them to be, using Extra options at the bottom of the Rsycn job.

When files come in, from an outside server, the options above change ownership to the local root account and the local users group.

In this case, this rsycn job creates a backup of a music share on another server

To "decode" what permissions are allowed by 0775, you can use WinSCP (WinSCP is in the guide) to look at files and folders in the share. Following is an example song in the music share. Look at the "octal". This number changes depending on permissions assigned.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thank you. You are opening up study paths for me. I will still have to spend more time.

Every tool in OMV has too many options. You have to know how to use them well to avoid problems. It is complex.

It would be nice to enable a basic mode with only the basic options and an advanced mode with all the options. Sure there are options that are not necessary for the average user. If they could hide it would be easier. When you already know how to use the basics, you take one more step and activate the advanced options. In the style of kodi.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!