OMV starting Problem "emergency mode" on every start

• So, I think that I now have the right screen.

But I am quite unsure where to edit the mount point to /sda2 e.g. there is nothing similar in it.

OMV 5.5.23-1 (Usul), Linux 4.19.0-13-amd64, Debian

ASRock J4105-ITX, Crucial RAM CT2K4G4SFS824A 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2400 MHz CL17, 2x12TB WD red, PicoPSU-90 12V DC-DC ATX Mini-ITX 0-90W Netzteil Power Supply, Ladegerät 12V 10A - 120W - Netzteil, Systemplatte: SanDisk SSD PLUS 120GB Sata III, Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced, für die Systemplatte: Sata to usb

• Offizieller Beitrag

But I am quite unsure where to edit the mount point to /sda2 e.g. there is nothing similar in it

You don't as it's using UUID, if I'm right on your first in your first post it says Control-D to continue, if you do that you should get a login prompt <your nas name> login: login as root and run update-grub

It appears that /dev/sda2 is the boot partition

• So, I pressed command+D, logged me in and entered the command update-grub.

Voila

But after this, the file in my post #24 looks equal.

And now i have to change the part ‚2f8b3f1c........‘ to /dev/sda2?

By the way there is a problem arising from my sata card (I think), ata5: softreset failed (device not ready) (in the middle of the screen), maybe you have there an idea as well?

Thanks a lot

ASRock J4105-ITX, Crucial RAM CT2K4G4SFS824A 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2400 MHz CL17, 2x12TB WD red, PicoPSU-90 12V DC-DC ATX Mini-ITX 0-90W Netzteil Power Supply, Ladegerät 12V 10A - 120W - Netzteil, Systemplatte: SanDisk SSD PLUS 120GB Sata III, Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced, für die Systemplatte: Sata to usb

• Offizieller Beitrag

And now i have to change the part ‚2f8b3f1c........‘ to /dev/sda2

No leave it as it is, should work fine now.

By the way there is a problem arising from my sata card (I think), ata5: softreset failed (device not ready) (in the middle of the screen), maybe you have there an idea as well?

Could be a failing hard drive, I would enable SMART for the drive and run a long test.

• No leave it as it is, should work fine now.

unfortunately not :(

I entered the command update-grub two times because it arasied again after a reboot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I entered the command update-grub two times because it arasied again after a reboot

That makes no sense, as the screen output shows the config file has been updated, is this a hard drive? is connected to that sata card?

• hmm, ok.

yes it is reported that it is updated, but maybe not correct.

The sata card is connected to my system hard drive, yes.

• yes.

Because I have 4 other data drives (the board offers only 4 ports)

• Offizieller Beitrag

yes.

Because I have 4 other data drives (the board offers only 4 ports)

Then that is probably the issue, if the drive were attached to the m'board it would be ok, from memory it has something to do with initialisation of the sata card.

I boot from a USB flash drive, there a number of reasons why, but when I was looking at adding a PCIe usb 3.0 card another user had just posted his set up and he said it's works fine but you can't boot from it, again because it was PCIe

• ok, I will test another sata card and when the problem occurs again I will change to a usb version as well

• Ok, that says nothing to me. I have the Zerone 2 Port PCI-E SATA Karte  

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07GK…C6RD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• You can not attach a bootable drive to that card and expect it to boot. It will not work.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• ok, I thought it should work (because I used a guide no built this NAS, https://www.elefacts.de/test-5…x_sata_im_mini_itx_format) and there it is explained with this additional sata card.

Anyway, guys I have horrible news. My machine isn't starting anymore :(

What did I do? Yesterday I extend my hard drives (two additional 14TB WD red+), wiped the new discs in OMV and extend my LVM with it, so far so good. Today in the morning I saw the machine was off (usually it starts automatically at 8 am with wake alarm). Therefore I pressed the power button, but after 1-2 seconds the machine turns off. Now I opened the case and controlled all attached drives, cables, power supplies. But nothing, the ASRock sign appears (on the screen) and then the machines turns off automatically. After I had have controlled all cables many times (they were all correct) and pressing the power button for about 100 times the machine is on power (I think till it goes to sleep again).

What can I do? First of all I have to look for a usb casing for my system drive to attach it to the usb and removing the sata card? Which case or cable can you suggest to keep the drive inside the case and connect it directly to the motherboard?

Why is the machine not starting anymore? Power should be enough I think.

Thank you very much for any hint.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thank you very much for any hint

:) the one thing that is difficult to read and understand is a block of text.

When I suggested using a USB drive I meant a USB flash drive, not buying a case to put the boot drive into :)

Why not look at this logically, remove that boot drive from the sata expansion card and put it in the m'board, then plug the drive from the m'board into the sata card, problem solved.

As to the rest of it, have you tested, shutdown OMV then simply unplugging all the data drives, does it start and stay up.

If it does, shutdown again connect all the drives except the two 14TB, does is start and stay up

Do the same again but the new drives, if that works disable whatever suspend, shutdown option you have running, leave the machine on overnight, is it still on in the morning.

With your post above it's a process of elimination, could it be the power supply, possibly, could it be the m'board, possibly, could it be another hardware or software related issue, possibly.

Whilst we try and help as much as we can on the forum we're not sitting in front of the machine all we can do is make suggestions in a way I/we may approach a problem. But there are two things I/we do have; 1) a backup, 2) a VM on another machine, not necessary but it can help solve config problems.

• geaves: What kind of stick? Sandisk Extreme Pro? Why not plug my system hard drive to a usb connector? (and how to clone my system drive to the new USB drive?)

Can I disconnect the new drives without losing my Logical Volume Management (LVM) of the drives or are all data lost then?

I think this LVM is not possible while connecting two drives at the sata card and two an the motherboard, but I will test it

new4u: The CPU cooler is passive at my board and the power supply has 72W.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Beamformer ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

What kind of stick

This what I use I have 4 and use one as a master and rotate the other three.

Can I disconnect the new drives without losing my Logical Volume Management (LVM)

How is your system set up as to the need of an LVM

• is that stick possible to operate in long-term usage? I thought that I need special usb sticks for that purpose?!

I created one LVM with 4 hdd's. On this on LVM I have two "partitions". One for multimedia files and one for backups.

I changed some sata cables and controlled the correct fit of all cables, that should be correct. Now, the machine works better, but not good. I have to start the machine three or four times until it stays on.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!