Monitoring OMV with Grafana

• I would like to setup a Grafana dashboard to monitor my OMV server. (on a docker container on my OMV instance)

I'd like to monitor CPU, RAM and Hard Disk IO and Disk space.

Which monitoring/reporting tools are already installed on OMV to send data to influxdb?

After a quick search there seems to be a tool called Prometheus which looks interesting but i'd prefer to use existing tools.

• collectd seems to be capable to write to prometheus.

For some time I had an influxdb running on RPi 1 and 4, so I know that the DB works :)

If the idea "bears fruit", that would be a really great solution to visualize the measurements taken for very specific analysis of OMV servers.

When you have some early prototype, I'd be eager to see it :)

As a real world example I'm looking for a better visualization of SMB benchmark results (link in my signature below)

found it in https://github.com/collectd/collectd#readme

"- write_prometheus

Publish values using an embedded HTTP server, in a format compatible with Prometheus' collectd_exporter."

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Omvben I stumbled over a blog post covering the topic in depth as it looks. Did you know it?

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

• did anyone get it working?

I have OMV5 with ioBroker, InfluxDB and Grafana deployed via Docker (Portainer)

Would be nice to send all system metrics either via iobroker to InfluxDB or directly to the DB.

• not me

• hi,

I have been playing around with said docker combinations. Have a look:

I did encounter a unresolved issue which I am still investigating.

Regaring the ram+cpu hog question, on recent hardware that's not something to worry about. You can look at the attached pictures in my post. I'm running on a j4105 quadcore with 16Gb dual channel.

• These are the steps I took to get the collectd prometheus exporter up and running - Note that these are messing with your OMV install - I take NO RESPONSIBILITY! ZERO! NADA! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE if this goofs something up on your system!

This has only been tried on my own system running OMV Version 6.3.4-1 (Shaitan) Linux 6.0.0-0.deb11.6-amd64 and I havent run it through any upgrades so I dont have any idea if it sticks or not. I also don't know if this is the best way to wire this up, I just know it works (seems like I should be able to use the existing web server, but I'm not sure).

First, you need to install two dependencies; The Collectd Core Utils which includes the write-prometheus plugin, and the tiny webserver library that helps serve up the data.

Code
    sudo apt install collectd-utils libmicrohttpd12

Then you need to create a configuration file for the Collectd daemon to tell it to load the write-prometheus plugin. It should be a new file; /etc/collectd/collectd.conf.d/prometheus.conf and the contents should be:

Code
    # Configure a prometheus endpoint
    LoadPlugin write_prometheus
    <Plugin "write_prometheus">
        Port "9103"
    </Plugin>

Be sure to create the file as root! You can change the Port to be whatever port you want to show the Prometheus data on, just be careful it doesn't conflict with any existing ports (including those of Docker Containers on your OMV host!)

Then, restart the Collectd application:

Code
    sudo systemctl restart collectd

If everything went well, you shouldnt get any messages. You can then go to http://<your_omv_host>:<port> and you should get a nice wall of text.

If something went wrong, you'll see an error message like this:

Job for collectd.service failed because the control process exited with error code.

See "systemctl status collectd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

Follow those instructions and fire up your Google engines...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!