Running a docker image in portainer on a different hard drive to the others

• Hi there, I've had a search for an answer to this, but not been able to find one. I have successfully been running Portainer with several images for a while now, but I would like to run an additional image that will take up to 100GB, and I don't have any near that space on my existing drive, so I'd like to add another USB drive but I'm not sure how to get the new portainer image to run on the new hard drive rather than with the existing images. Last time I tried it, it ended up running with the other images and filled the disk up.

Could anyone please help?

with thanks

• To answer your question directly, it's not possible to do what you want to do, the only option is to change the path in the WebUI.

Some information regarding your current set up might be helpful.

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

• Hi Geaves, many thanks for responding.

I'm running OMV5, with a 16GB USB stick as a boot drive, a 60GB hard drive for appdata, which currently holds my docker images, and a further 8TB drive for data.

I'm running Docker through Portainer via OMV Extras which is specified to use /var/lib/docker as docker storage

• which is specified to use /var/lib/docker as docker storage

I believe you can change that even after it's been set up, I always change the path before installing docker, my docker path points to share on one of my drives. So if you created a share on that 60GB and named it docker, then in omv-extras change the path to that new share using the absolute path i.e. /srv, save, apply.

I've found a link using google the forum search is odd, this should confirm what I just said

• But I'm not looking to move the other docker images, I just want to start the new image on a different drive and retain the existing images where they are

• OK, many thanks for confirming this for me. So I guess, my only option is to replace the 60GB appdata drive with a larger drive that will hold all of the images

• So I guess, my only option is to replace the 60GB appdata drive with a larger drive that will hold all of the images

Why, as far as docker itself is concerned and container config files that would be enough

• Ah, ok, thanks for correcting me and suggesting this solution. I have had a further think though, and the motherboard only has 2 SATA slots, so I may just use a larger capacity hard drive to store all of the docker images & docker image container. I don't suppose that there is a guide for migrating the data drive to a new/larger hard drive?

Many thanks

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!