Possibly corrupted installation, checking if there's a fix before reinstalling

• Hey folks, I'm trying to see if I can salvage an OMV installation without throwing in the towel and rebuilding the entire thing.

I can identify a few errors but I'm curious if they are part of a greater permissions issue or something that one of you can identify for me. I've been poking around but my brain is breaking.

I got this running on a Raspberry Pi 4B, pretty standard setup.

Here's the story:

• Due to an ID10T error when swapping out a case, I physically broke the USB ports and had to get a replacement Pi 4B.
    • I took the SD card from the old Pi (containing OMV) and put it into the new one, hoping most of it would translate over with little reconfiguration needed
    • I initially had to drop in via the console with a monitor connected and run omv-firstaid to take care of the network interface remapping (new NIC and all considering it's a different Pi), but after that I could get into the web UI.
    • This is where I discovered the gauntlet of problems: I couldn't mount my two USB BTRFS disks (exit code '32': mount: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-datadisk: unknown filesystem type 'btrfs'). After going down a Google rabbit hole, it seems that apparently the BTRFS kernel module didn't load in correctly or something. I was looking at a GitHub issue about udev rules and replacing them, but I wasn't sure if this was the case.
    • The OpenVPN plugin also died. The service will not start, the OpenVPN log just states ERROR: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No such file or directory (errno=2)
    • Lastly (maybe not leastly), the Docker service is unable to start. Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; echo "Restarting docker ..." && systemctl restart docker.service ': Restarting docker ...

I feel there is a chance all of these might be related, but I'm not entirely certain. It's a bit overwhelming and I'm tempted to just blow it away and reinstall (not the end of the world honestly), but I was curious if anyone had any suggestions or ideas before I do that. I almost feel it's something with file permissions on the SD card but I'm not sure, it's just a guess.

Thanks!

Here's a sample detailed error for a disk not mounting (I couldn't put it in a bulleted list without it getting mangled):

Code
    Error #0:
    OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; mount -v --source '/dev/disk/by-label/datadisk' 2>&1' with exit code '32': mount: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-datadisk: unknown filesystem type 'btrfs'. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:182
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/filesystem/filesystem.inc(742): OMV\System\Process->execute()
    #1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/filesystemmgmt.inc(931): OMV\System\Filesystem\Filesystem->mount()
    #2 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\OMVRpcServiceFileSystemMgmt->mount(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('mount', Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('FileSystemMgmt', 'mount', Array, Array, 1)
    #6 {main}

And here is a detailed OpenVPN error when I try to get the service configured/reinstalled:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Given the errors, the question I'd ask is, would you want to take a chance? What I'm getting at is, the above are problems and errors what you're aware of. The underlying reasons for these errors are not known and there may be more problems present that you haven't discovered yet.

To be certain that all is healthy again, the safest path would be to rebuild. Mostly like, a rebuild would be far faster than trying to analyze and fix an installation that may not, at the end of the day, be fixable.

But that's just one opinion. Others may have different advice.

Along the lines of advice, when you're back up, clone your SD-card.

• ^Noted, and understandable. I think I just fixed it though, after trying literally everything. It seemed several kernel modules were missing somehow (I was messing with that once upon a time).

The fix was actually somewhat simple (though apparently not always recommended). It was to run sudo rpi-update and let it grab the latest pre-release kernel which appeared to fix all the missing stuff.

Now docker is working, the disks are mounted again, and OpenVPN configures without errors.

I think we can call this case closed!

• geaves

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • geaves

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!