How to update Plex Media Server with Portainer

• I had the same problem.

Plex notified me of an update, but when I went into Portainer and restarted, Plex didn't update.

When I modified ENV variable VERSION from docker to latest, upgrade was successful!

• Hi All,
    I'm really new to docker and/or portainer. I got everything to work, but also see the problem that updates are not made. I restarted as mentioned from Agricola and found the following at the log:

[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: executing... ,

Docker is used for versioning skip update check,

[cont-init.d] 60-plex-update: exited 0.

So I think it is about the ENV variable VERSION "docker" that I can see here.... mentioned from @shecky66.

And now my question ;) How can I change that variable? ..... Thanks in advance

Sorry for that: I did not see the Post from Agricola - everything is clear now!

Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and as it always has, rock crushes scissors.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Parador ()

• Docker has its own way of pulling updates/ new images. These include the underlying libraries as well. Don't change anything.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Hi Parador !

I advise you to use the official Plex image (https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker/) making sure to set the correct TAG.

For example, I have a Plex Pass and so use the plexpass tag.

This is my yaml file:

I bring you the section relating to TAGS from the official docker documentation:

TAGS

In addition to the standard version and latest tags, two other tags exist: plexpass and public. These two images behave differently than your typical containers. These two images do not have any Plex Media Server binary installed. Instead, when these containers are run, they will perform an update check and fetch the latest version, install it, and then continue execution. They also run the update check whenever the container is restarted. To update the version in the container, simply stop the container and start container again when you have a network connection. The startup script will automatically fetch the appropriate version and install it before starting the Plex Media Server.

The public restricts this check to public versions only where as plexpass will fetch Plex Pass versions. If the server is not logged in or you do not have Plex Pass on your account, the plexpass tagged images will be restricted to publicly available versions only.

Also I recommend you to create a user to use specifically for the PLEX docker and use in docker configuration the UID and GID of that user.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have never used the "official" Plex container, so I cannot speak to it. I mostly use the linuxserver.io containers when I can, and have never had any problem. They maintain their containers well, I guess. I recently deployed a Plex container in a vm test machine on OMV-6. It worked perfectly. I deploy all of my containers using docker-compose from the terminal, and I maintain them through Portainer. When upgrading Plex I merely stop and then start the container in Portainer. it works every time. I cannot speak for how it works on an arm board, because I haven't deployed Plex on one in a very long time. Maybe I will soon just to see.

Here is my yml file for Plex. Notice I use "latest" for version:

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!