Plex not starting on OMV5

• Hello,

Looking to the kind hearted experts for some help please. I'm trying to set up plex on my OMV server.

I've watched How To Install Plex on OpenMediaVault 5 - YouTube diligently but seem to have a problem when it starts up; or rather it doesn't start up. I've deleted the container and restarted several times with no luck. I've even uninstalled portainer and reinstalled. When I've completed the install it creates some files in the config share folder including some logs. the logs show the same message

Jan 26, 2021 17:25:12.469 [0x7f6da963e700] INFO - Plex Media Server v1.21.1.3876-3c3adfcb4 - Docker Docker Container (LinuxServer.io) x86_64 - build: linux-x86_64 debian - GMT 00:00

Jan 26, 2021 17:25:12.469 [0x7f6da963e700] INFO - Linux version: 5.9.0-0.bpo.5-amd64, language: en-US

Jan 26, 2021 17:25:12.469 [0x7f6da963e700] INFO - Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.60GHz

Jan 26, 2021 17:25:12.469 [0x7f6da963e700] INFO - /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server

Jan 26, 2021 17:25:12.468 [0x7f6daa130100] DEBUG - BPQ: [Idle] -> [Starting]

Jan 26, 2021 17:25:12.469 [0x7f6daa130100] DEBUG - Opening 20 database sessions to library (com.plexapp.plugins.library), SQLite 3.26.0, threadsafe=1

Jan 26, 2021 17:25:12.472 [0x7f6daa130100] ERROR - SQLITE3:(nil), 5386, os_unix.c:37072: (19) mmap(/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Databases/com.plexapp.plugins.library.db-shm) - No such device

Jan 26, 2021 17:25:12.472 [0x7f6daa130100] ERROR - SQLITE3:(nil), 5386, disk I/O error in "PRAGMA cache_size=2000"

Jan 26, 2021 17:25:12.472 [0x7f6daa130100] ERROR - Database corruption: sqlite3_statement_backend::prepare: disk I/O error for SQL: PRAGMA cache_size=2000

I can see the error lines but I'm a touch confused as when I navigate to /config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-in Support/Databases/ I can see a file named com.plexapp.plugins.library.db-shm so I cant understand why plex is saying no such device.

Can anyone help please? Getting a touch frustrated.

Huge thanks in advance

• macom

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • You don't say what hardware you are running on. Is it Intel or AMD64?

Does the user the container runs as have permission to read and write to the directory bind mounted to /config?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• You don't say what hardware you are running on. Is it Intel or AMD64?

Does the user the container runs as have permission to read and write to the directory bind mounted to /config?

Hi,

I'm using intel 64 bit xeon. User does have permissions. The /config folder is accessible to all. Is there somewhere else the config file could be?

• So latest update.

I deleted all SMB shares. Then deleted all shared folders.

Created new shared folders with full permissions for everyone

Created New SMB shares with guest only access

Reinstalled Plex to the new folder/shares

Still not starting and log faults as before.

What am I missing as my next step is to delete everything, wipe drives. Delete and reinstall OMV then do it all again from the beginning, which seems a touch drastic, but I'm out of ideas.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Even if that worked, that's pretty reckless. You shouldn't have to do that.

Are you using mergerfs?

This sounds like your problem: MergerFS & Sqlite3 (Plex, Homessistant) : Disk I/O error

• Created new shared folders with full permissions for everyone

When you use OMV's Shared Folders | Privileges button do you see the informative statement below? Do you know what this means and do you think that it matters?

"These settings are used by the services to configure the user access rights. Please note that these settings have no effect on file system permissions."

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

CraigG I don't know if any of this concerns your issues posted here but I noticed a few things that may not be involved now, but will rise up to bite you down the road. If you followed the YouTube above to the letter there are a few things that need to be changed. Right off the bat you need to change the path to your Docker storage, (just before you install Portainer, which happens to be your first docker container), but before you change that path you need to create a user and a shared folder where the new path will be pointed.

1. Create a user in Users and give it user, docker, ssh privileges. If it is the first user you have created, it will probably have a PUID of 1000. DB explained in the vid. how to check that. Use that PUID in your container build.
    2. . So create a shared folder named docker or container or... and find the absolute path to it. I think DB Tech explains how to do find absolute path in the vid. You can create your other folders at this time if you like. When you do do not set any ACL's. Just pretend it's not there. It's kind of like Pandora's box.
    3. You can now create your other shared folders. In this section don't set any ACL's. It will just cause you trouble. I am not in favor of creating separate shares for movies, tv, kids. I prefer to create one media shared folder and then nest tv, movies, pictures, music, etc. inside of the media share from your desktop. That is just my personal preference. It seems like way too many Shared Folders to set up.
    4. When finished with that go back to the user you created, click on the user and go to the Privileges tab, and enable read/write for all of your shared folders. You can do the same thing from the Shared Folders section, but this way is easier.
    5. When you get OMV-extras installed go to the Docker tab and change the docker path to where you created the docker folder, something like /srv/dev-disk-by-label-uuid- ..... /docker. The default /var/lib/docker is located on your system drive and docker files can grow quite large over time, especially if you have Plex on your server. If that drive fills up it can lock you out of your system.
    6. You can now install Docker, and Portainer as described in the vid.
    7. In the plex container I use "VERSION=public" instead of "VERSION=docker". Others may differ on that. Works for me.

There were a few other things, but they do not matter just yet. My guess is there is something amiss in the container you created. You might delete the contents of your config/plex folder and delete the plex container inside of Portainer, take another look at the video (take notes), and with the above points in hand, start a new plex container.

• CraigG I don't know if any of this concerns your issues posted here but I noticed a few things that may not be involved now, but will rise up to bite you down the road. If you followed the YouTube above to the letter there are a few things that need to be changed. Right off the bat you need to change the path to your Docker storage, (just before you install Portainer, which happens to be your first docker container), but before you change that path you need to create a user and a shared folder where the new path will be pointed.

1. Create a user in Users and give it user, docker, ssh privileges. If it is the first user you have created, it will probably have a PUID of 1000. DB explained in the vid. how to check that. Use that PUID in your container build.
    2. . So create a shared folder named docker or container or... and find the absolute path to it. I think DB Tech explains how to do find absolute path in the vid. You can create your other folders at this time if you like. When you do do not set any ACL's. Just pretend it's not there. It's kind of like Pandora's box.
    3. You can now create your other shared folders. In this section don't set any ACL's. It will just cause you trouble. I am not in favor of creating separate shares for movies, tv, kids. I prefer to create one media shared folder and then nest tv, movies, pictures, music, etc. inside of the media share from your desktop. That is just my personal preference. It seems like way too many Shared Folders to set up.
    4. When finished with that go back to the user you created, click on the user and go to the Privileges tab, and enable read/write for all of your shared folders. You can do the same thing from the Shared Folders section, but this way is easier.
    5. When you get OMV-extras installed go to the Docker tab and change the docker path to where you created the docker folder, something like /srv/dev-disk-by-label-uuid- ..... /docker. The default /var/lib/docker is located on your system drive and docker files can grow quite large over time, especially if you have Plex on your server. If that drive fills up it can lock you out of your system.
    7. In the plex container I use "VERSION=public" instead of "VERSION=docker". Others may differ on that. Works for me.

There were a few other things, but they do not matter just yet. My guess is there is something amiss in the container you created. You might delete the contents of your config/plex folder and delete the plex container inside of Portainer, take another look at the video (take notes), and with the above points in hand, start a new plex container.

Thank you. Some really helpful things here. I'll give that a go and see how I fair for a total numpty.:)

• CraigG I don't know if any of this concerns your issues posted here but I noticed a few things that may not be involved now, but will rise up to bite you down the road. If you followed the YouTube above to the letter there are a few things that need to be changed. Right off the bat you need to change the path to your Docker storage, (just before you install Portainer, which happens to be your first docker container), but before you change that path you need to create a user and a shared folder where the new path will be pointed.

I still have problems with Plex server. When I try to access it in my browser, it says that it cant connect to the site.

What can I do???

Also I have no NOEXEC in OMV

• I still have problems with Plex server. When I try to access it in my browser, it says that it cant connect to the site.

What can I do???

google about plexClaim and how to know and how to use in the plex.yaml file to deploy

• Offizieller Beitrag

I still have problems with Plex server. When I try to access it in my browser, it says that it cant connect to the site.

What can I do???

How are you trying to access in the browser? What URL? Fill in a few more details about your install.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!