Change user permissions from SSH?

• Hi!

I'm trying out OMV for the first time, on a RPi4, and following the instructions I found here: https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…ing_OMV5_on_an%20R-PI.pdf

Starting on page 17, under the "Adding a new Administrative User with SSH access" section, the instructions say to add a new user and assign the groups adm, backup, sambashare, ssh, sudo, and users, which I did. I saved, verified that I could successfully ssh to the device, and then, per the instructions, deleted the "pi" user. Then I logged into the web interface with the admin account I had just created. It now appears that I don't have any ability to administer the system. The only thing I can access is the email address and password for this user. Nothing else is available. Not sure if I missed something or if these instructions are just bad.

So, my question is, can I fix this from the CLI? Or do I have to blow it all away and start over?

TIA!

omv 5.5.23-1 (usul) on RPi4 with Kernel 5.4.x

• crashtest

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

The user addition, for Raspberry PI's, is for SSH access only. The Web interface is always accessed with the user admin

If you look on page 18, there's is a note that specifically mentions system accounts. admin is a system account. You can name your user anything that is not a system account.

(**Note that the users admin, root, backup, and others are Linux system users. The add user dialog will reject attempts to configure a new user with the exact same name of an existing system user.**)

• The user addition, for Raspberry PI's, is for SSH access only. The Web interface is always accessed with the user admin

If you look on page 18, there's is a note that specifically mentions system accounts. admin is a system account. You can name your user anything that is not a system account.

(**Note that the users admin, root, backup, and others are Linux system users. The add user dialog will reject attempts to configure a new user with the exact same name of an existing system user.**)

Ah, I see. I thought I was creating the user that would access the web interface and the note was just about not trying to create an account with those names. I was able to log in using the default "admin" and "openmediavault" user/pass combo and access the full system again. There doesn't appear to be any way to change this default password from within web interface so I changed it from the CLI. Was that the right way to go about it?

I'm not a sys admin, I just know enough to get around, so perhaps this is obvious for experienced users but I feel like it would be helpful to cover it in the getting started docs, at least for people like me. The doc currently says that creating a new user is "for server admin purposes" but the user created in the example does not seem to have the necessary permissions to do any administrating. And if the "admin" user can't be removed anyway, why create a new user at all? Why not just change the password on the "admin" account?

I'm amazed how fast I got responses here. You guys are great. Thanks!

• The doc currently says that creating a new user is "for server admin purposes" but the user created in the example does not seem to have the necessary permissions to do any administrating. And if the "admin" user can't be removed anyway, why create a new user at all? Why not just change the password on the "admin" account?

It just occurred to me that this probably means for Linux server admin purposes, not OMV server admin purposes. Right?

• Offizieller Beitrag

With OMV, generally speaking, server admin is done in the GUI. If possible, the GUI is where the majority of server admin is done. There are, however, some situations where the command line may be required. That's when SSH may be necessary and what the new R-PI user is intended for.

There's a link in the build guide in my signature and -> here where you'll find a guide for the general set up Openmediavault.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!