Options & Guide for Backing Up Linux Laptop/PC to OMV?

• Hi OMV forum!

Hopefully I am not breaking any forum rules by this post, if I am please feel free to let me know or take it down.

I surfed the forums and online a bit and did not necessarily find a solution so I am hoping to get help or pointed in the right direction on this post.

I am looking to setup incremental recurring backup of my /home & /etc folders on my laptop over my local network to my OMV server. I saw some tools like rsync + cron job, borg, urbackup docker, etc. but I am not sure which option is best or how to set it up properly. I saw this guide by auanasgheps that seems to cover backing up the NAS to another server using borgbackup plugin but wasn't sure if that would work the same for a laptop as the client to the OMV server?

For some other clarity that might help in a response - the laptop (client to be backed up) is dual boot with seperate HDDs of EndeavourOS & Win10. I primarily use the Linux OS as my daily driver but boot up win10 for some light CAD work here and there. I would like to automatically backup the linux /home & /etc directories and the win10 data directory over my Local network to the OMV server. I have a raspi with wireguard setup to VPN into my home network when on the go, so I am kind of always in the LAN if that helps too. Any suggestions or recommended reading is welcome. Thank you!

• Like always, there's more than one way to skin a cat....

If you don't want to use docker (I personally would)... You could set up a simple rsync server on OMV, and then install grsync on your clients, and back up selected directories via rsync.

If you're not afraid of docker...

Duplicatti has the advantage of incremental backups that will (should) allow you to go back to a previous state if needed. I've never used it's Linux client, but it appears it's in beta.

Syncthing -- Simple to set up, does not offer versioning (as far as I know) and has a pretty easy to use Linux client. (I stand corrected, it does offer versioning)

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

Edited once, last by KM0201 ().

• Duplicatti has the advantage of incremental backups that will (should) allow you to go back to a previous state if needed. I've never used it's Linux client, but it appears it's in beta.

Duplicati its in beta since several years, but don't be afraid, these developers deliver rock-solid software as they are not pressed by managers to deliver an unfinished product :)

Its user interface design is very simple and matches nicely with OMV

omv 5.5.23-1 (usul) on RPi4 with Kernel 5.10.x and WittyPi 3 RTC HAT

2x 6TB HDD formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

Edited once, last by mi-hol ().

• This community is awesome! Thank you for the responses, I am going to look into UrBackup to my NAS and duplicati for a remote cloud backup of the NAS itself.

Definitely not afraid of docker, have several running on this nas so shouldn't be a problem, I was stuck on what the best option(s) were or what other folks were using, so this is very helpful.

Thank you macom  mi-hol  KM0201

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!