RPi + Debian + OMV + NC

• Team, hello,

A supernoob here, so please excuse me for the dumb questions. I can't find any similar thread here, so I decided to make a new one (but if one exists, please refer me to it).

I am aiming at installing Debian on my Raspberry Pi 4 and afterwards installing OMV, and on top of that, Nextcloud. Is this a good setup? Or is it best to go directly with installing OMV's image, and install Nextcloud within it?

The reason why I am aiming at installing Debian first is to have a GUI, so that I can in parallel do other things with my RPi instead of using it from console only. I know that I can install a GUI on top of OMV, but I read somewhere that this is not recommended and will bloat OMV a lot. Is this true?

Thanks,

A

• Offizieller Beitrag

Installing OMV w/ a Debian GUI desktop is not recommended or supported. It will work, until it doesn't, then you will be on your own. It's not the bloat that is the problem. It's that the webUI and the desktop GUI will both attempt to control certain configuration files, thus causing issues (admittedly I don't know the exact issues, but it has been discussed here many times).

Why do you believe you need a desktop? The system is designed to be headless.

As for the rest of your question... both Nextcloud and OMV need port 80. You can overcome this one of two ways...

Install Nextcloud in Docker (see the thread in the guide forum). This is probably how many would recommend installing Nextcloud

or

Install Nextcloud as you plan, but before doing this, assign OMV to use another port under General/Settings in the OMV webUI

• KM0201, thanks for the quick answer, I really appreciate it.

The reason why I'm after a GUI is because I wanted to use the RPi as a mini browsing or media machine as well, as it sure has the capacity to do the two things in parallel. But if the GUI messes up with configuration, that's a big no-no.

Alright, so say I don't want a GUI anymore. Should I go with direct official OMV installation, or install Debian first and then install OMV on top of it? Does it make any difference?

Thanks on the NC tips as well!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I see what you're saying.. but IMO.. a NAS/Server isn't something you should try to get dual use out of. Buy a Pi 4 for your server and set it up however you desire as a server, then buy another Pi 4 (or a cheaper SBC you may want) and set it up in line w/ your kiosk idea.

I would not consider mixing the two an option even if it worked 100%

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!