Python 2.7.3 update

• I am running Plex Media Server on OMV (Fedyakin 0.4.38) and want to try running PlexConnect on OMV.
    This is a a Python script that allows Apple TV 3 to connect to the Plex Media Server.
    The requirement for PlexConnect is python 2.7.

Fedyakin 0.4.38 has python 2.6.

What are the implications of updating the installed python to version 2.7 ?

HP Microserver N40L; OMV 6.1.1-1 (Shaitan)

• Scroll down to "The Classic" or "The "pythonic""

http://stackoverflow.com/quest…g-second-python-on-debian

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Scroll down to "The Classic" or "The "pythonic""

http://stackoverflow.com/quest…g-second-python-on-debian

Greetings
    David

Thx David for the pointer.
    Does not sound like it's a good idea to mix use python 2.7 with Squeeze as quoted by one of the commentators

Zitat

This should not be done for multiple reasons. Packages from different Debian releases should not be mixed. The testing/unstable branches are working on changing the default python version to 2.7 for the Wheezy release. Squeeze is ment to use 2.6 so if you replace it with 2.7 you risk breaking everything on the system that uses python. – Arrowmaster May 6 '11 at 9:12

One guy tried 2.7 on Squeeze and had trouble:

Zitat

I installed python 2.7 on my Debian Squeeze according to these instructions plus configuration using update-alternatives, and as Arrowmaster warned, it did break! The next apt-get update errored out with python errors; something like python is not debian_default. I switched back to python 2.6 but still had the same error?!? I eventually had to uninstall 2.7 and hack the /usr/bin/python link to get it to work again.

It would most likely break OMV Update process.
    That's a shame as PlexConnect has so much potential for ATV3 users playing media off OMV.

• Thats why you should compile it from source and not replace 2.6.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Thats why you should compile it from source and not replace 2.6.

Greetings
    David

Sorry I do not understand how compiling from the source and not replacing 2.6 would help.
    Even if I compiled 2.7 and have it installed at teh same time as 2.6, I read somewhere that there are common libs that they both rely on and by installing 2.7, it would replace some of those libs and break python apps that rely on version 2.6.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

O2 (OMV ONE based on Wheezy) will solve your problem.... It will be out probably within a month.

yeh you are right...probably best to wait for Wheezy.

BTW, in the meantime, I did a proof of concept using my iMAC to run PlexConnect while Plex Server ran on OMV on my HP N40L microserver.
    The iMAC has python 2.7.5 preinstalled.

Result: Good & bad.

Good:
    - concept works really well.
    - Plex UI well integrated into ATV3.
    - Most of my Bluray MKV's play well - no stutter, pauses or buffering
    - subtitles using .SRT files work well and I can change size (between 50% to 150% - for the really visually impaired !)

Bad:
    - Certain .MKV's don't play well - those with VC1 video codec - transcode kicks in on Plex Server with CPU load @180%
    - subtitles embedded (PGS) don't play - transcode kicks in on Plex server
    - cannot skip chapters - ATV3 has no controls - can only fast-forward
    - .TS files don't play well - even though they contain H.264 codec - transcode kicks in Plex server
    - ATV3 cannot handle DirectPlay option - i.e. it will not play .MKV or .TS files.
    - MKV files containing 3D codec (MVC-3D) just gives a spinning wheel - looks like Ples server is trying to transcode
    - my HP N40L microserver is not powerful enough to transcode

So the biggest issue is the lack of DirectPlay capability on ATV3 coupled with lack of CPU power on the HP probably does not warrant the effort.
    But will wait for 1.0 and try it out.

• And People ask me why I don't like the Apple TV as a Media Player...

Greetings
    David

• Nur über Steve Jobs Leiche.... wait, what?

Gruß
    David

• I used the pythonbrew.

apt-get install curl build-essential zlib1g-dev libbz2-dev libreadline-dev \
    libgdbm-dev libsqlite3-dev libxml2 libxml2-dev libxslt1-dev \
    libgdb-dev libssl-dev libexpat1-dev libncursesw5-dev

1) apt-get install python-pip
    2) create new user. ~# adduser --home /home/<newuser> --shell /bin/bash --ingroup users <newuser>
    3) su - <newuser>
    4) pip install pythonbrew
    5) to follow instructions. (add settings to .bashrc and add pythonbrew path to $PATH)
    6) pythonbrew install 2.7.3
    7) .pythonbrew/pythons/python-2.7.3/bin/python -V

root@NAS:~# su - ttv
    ttv@NAS:~$ python -V
    Python 2.6.6
    ttv@NAS:~$ .pythonbrew/pythons/Python-2.7.3/bin/python -V
    Python 2.7.3
    ttv@NAS:~$

• Hi guys,

I also have PMS running on my OMV system, I wanted to install plexconnect but I did not want to mess OMV installation upgrading phyton or mess arround with the ports 80 and 443 so I created a VM with virtual box, installed debian 7 and plexconnect and all works fine; If you need more info about how to do it do not hesitate to ask me.

Cheers

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!