PCI- Sata expansion card not seen

• Hello all,

After lots of unsuccesful trials I come to you ...

I bought this pci-sata card to add more disks in my nas (https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/33013809220.html)

But no way to see the disks in OMV

I tried to check a "fdisk" and same result.

Does anyone know how to get this card recognized ? Or at least see what is the problem ?

Thank you

(MSI B450 Mortar, Ryzen 2400G)

Linux 5.7.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

OMV 5.5.12.1 (Usul)

• The 2 disks (plugged in the expansion card) are visible in the boot settings in bios :

But nothing in fdisk :

with lspci -k :

Do you see anything wrong ?

• Thank you, here are the result :

• Cannot find them in storage/disks

but hwinfo shows them, right ?

Code
    storage:

AMD SATA controller
                           Marvell 88SE9230 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s Controller
                           AMD FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Whilst it appears to be located and it's picking up two drives via the bios from what I have found this card is not HBA it is a Raid card, which means during the boot process of your system when prompted <Ctrl>+<M> will get you into the bios of the card.

This seems to be generic made but has different brand names on Amazon UK it's listed as N N.ORANIE on the US site wantao, there are also mixed reviews on this.

How do you proceed, no idea, some trial and error see if you can get it to work.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have any other recommandations for a pci-sata card ? (that will work plug and play)

No such thing as plug and play, as such, the type of card you are looking for is a sas raid controller, that has IT mode (HBA) capabilities or can be flashed to IT mode. Something along the lines of LSI 9211-4i, some of the Dell models can be flashed to IT mode as can some IBM's, these are usually purchased from auction sites. Startech produce one that is capable of JBOD, but for that you're going to £100+ I'll tag crashtest as I believe he has or uses a Dell Perc.

• I tried to :

1- Switch from AHCI to Raid mode

2- Go to the Raid Menu but I can not see my disks (only the four plugged to the motherboard)

3- No way to boot OMV then

So go back to AHCI ...

• Offizieller Beitrag

So go back to AHCI

Yes as that is related to your m'board, your new sata card should show after the post process, the problem then is how fast the system is, a reference to the card may just flash up on the screen before continuing to boot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Where do you think the problem comes from ? OMV ?

If you're referring to the last image yes, I think this was resolved, but in your case you've changed the hardware reference in the system bios.

OK, that card has nothing to do with your m'board, whilst the m'board bios will display the drives if any are attached changing settings in the m'board bios will not make that card function. These types of cards have their own 'built in' bios, hence the <Ctrl>+<M> or <Ctrl>+<S> by invoking that, you configure the drives connected to the card. So for HBA or JBOD the drives are passed to the O/S as single drives, if you configure Raid on these cards using the drives attached to it then they are passed to the O/S as a single drive i.e. an LVM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think you're going to get this resolved, the reviews of this generic card vary, some get it work, some don't, have you tried it in another slot on the board, I'm not familiar with it so can't help in that respect.

The <Ctrl>+<M> or such will display on screen once the card gets recognised and it's output appears on the screen something like Adaptec blah blah blah press <Ctrl> +<S> for menu. If you don't see anything like that then either the card is not being passed through or it's not functioning as intended.

• So you mean the only way to get more available storage on my server is to buy a new motherboard ?

I have only 4 sata ports on my msi ...

I tried to find "big" mb but nothing seems to exist at mATX format

• Offizieller Beitrag

So you mean the only way to get more available storage on my server is to buy a new motherboard

No, wait for suggestions from crashtest the issue is that card, it's obviously not functioning the way you, or even my knowledge is expecting it too.

• Marvell 88SE9230 PCIe SATA 6Gb/s Controller

I didn´t read this thread completely but I want to point out that this controller chip is basically supported by Debian. The Asrock Board which I am using for OMV has the same chip onboard and it works flawlessly.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!