Recommended Image for Odroid-HC2

• Hi there,

i new here and want to upgrade to OMV5 on my Odroid-HC2 (fresh clean install) and therefore i'm wondering which is the recommended Armbian build (image) to use at the moment (2021/02).

https://www.armbian.com/odroid-hc1/

- Armbian Buster stock kernel 4.14.y

- Armbian Buster minimal kernel 5.4.y

According to armbian page both are considered stable. Does it make sense to use the minimal version with the newer kernel?

Guess both are OKish but are there any arguments to choose one over the other?

Thanks for clarification

• geaves

Hat das Thema freigeschaltet.
  • Thanks macom - that's exactly what i was looking for... Embarrassing i didn't find this thread myself. ;)

This user asked exactly the same - more or less...

Installation with 'Armbian Buster minimal kernel 5.4.y' is ongoing at the moment.

• Embarrassing i didn't find this thread myself

I'm trying to improve "search" in the forum. Currently user experience is not the best :(.

Would you be interested to act as a tester? in case yes please respond via private conversation

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• I am trying to get OMV5 running on an odroid-hc2. The only image I have got to work is one specifically for the hc1 or hc2. This image is OMV4 that seems to work fine. I have tried upgrading it to OMV5 several times, based on the behavior I think that it reverts to needing interaction on the terminal. The device still has the blue heartbeat led is on.

The other more general xu4 images never start the web controls. I suspect that these are looking for the initial terminal interaction.

I would like to find an OMV5 image that just works with the hc1, or hc2.

Alternatively is there a way I can configure an image on a vm to get past any of the start up problems and then create an image for the physical machine.

The image that worked downloaded with the name "OMV_4_Odroid_XU4_HC1_HC2.img.xz". This version I was not able to successfully update to OMV5.

After reading some of the other posts I retried the image named "Armbian_21.05.1_Odroidxu4_buster_legacy_4.14.222.img.xz". As I indicated in the first part of my post the web interface would not come up (I did try clearing the browser cache). The thing I forget to note that the ssh client recognizes that there is something there, but will not authenticate (used the default password).

Honestly I am not sure what kind of advice I am after. Maybe I am following the wrong instructions for the upgrades. Maybe there is a way to get into a start image that I don't know about.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von jag567 () aus folgendem Grund: Additional details

• Offizieller Beitrag

Use the armbian buster image without desktop from here

https://www.armbian.com/odroid-hc1/

and install OMV on top running the script as described here

https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…lling_omv5_armbian_buster

• SourceForge is not up-to-date for ARM images!

In the the post above your question, the answer was provided already

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Thank you - must have been so long since I last installed OMV that I had not realised that there had been a change.

Out of interest, is there any difference between the previous method and the new one?

Am I correct in thinking that the Sourceforge version of the HC2 image was Debian that was adapted for SBC devices, whereas the new method uses Armbian, which is superior (because it has been specifically developed for SBC devices)?

I am considering reinstalling, using the new method, but will not bother if they are identical.

• Offizieller Beitrag

SourceForge is not up-to-date for ARM images!

There shouldn't be any ARM images on Sourceforge.

is there any difference between the previous method and the new one?

The install script is better than the pre-made images because it is always current when you download it to install.

Am I correct in thinking that the Sourceforge version of the HC2 image was Debian that was adapted for SBC devices, whereas the new method uses Armbian, which is superior (because it has been specifically developed for SBC devices)?

The old images were built with the Armbian builds scripts and were still Armbian. OMV is just a package. So, whether the image already has it installed or you install with the install script, you end up with the same results.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!