Real RPi4 NAS

• I just came across this thread, and it reminded me heavily of an article that I recently read. So I thought I could share my Information with you.

The Heise Make Magazine (German) recently had a real nice build. They called it the "SATANAS". Here is the link.

https://www.heise.de/select/make/2021/4/2033811215351927251

The article itself is paid content, but it is worth it, as it contains the built specifically for OMV including a detailed step by step guide. If you want to to do an OMV build based on the RPi 4 Compute Module, I recommend this read. If you are an english speaker, maybe you can use google translate. Anyway the commands and pictures transport the information even if you are not a german speaker.

I did their built and it works like a charm. Basically I used:

Code
    Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 (4 GB RAM)
    Raspberry Pi CM4 IO-Board
    4-Port SATA Controller Card Marvel 9215 (Which is, together with the compute module and the IO Board, the core.)
    Micro-SD-Card of 64 GB

SSD Disks, mainly because of speed and the small size, I suppose.
    Power Supply (internal) of 12V and 1,5A

Wireless Antenna for the Compute Module.

They even made laser cutting templates for the case available for everyone on github:

https://github.com/MakeMagazinDE/SATANAS

Regarding power supply I built it directly in the case, as mentioned.

I went with this one specifically, but any other with the same specifications and roughly the size should work.

https://www.conrad.de/de/p/h-t…-bereich-5-24-190008.html

The power supply should have 12V and at least 1500mA, depending on what peripherals and disks you include. Take care that it provides a plug supply that allows a connection to the IO board. I first did took a different one, and needed to switch later.

As I am already running a HDD based OMV NAS, I will give this nice little piece of speed to some relatives. I just was curious and wanted to build it. Luckily I knew people who were looking for a custom NAS solution and not an out of the box system, so this was my chance :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you want to to do an OMV build based on the RPi 4 Compute Module

I built one too. Not really much different than a normal RPi other than power supply. Here is a pic of mine:

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I built one too. Not really much different than a normal RPi other than power supply. Here is a pic of mine:

Nice setup. I see you are running a HDD setup. Just using an available computer tower and the power supply is a good way to power the HDDs and put (maybe) already available hardware to a use.

I wanted it in a small form factor, as these computer towers need so much space. No issue for me, but my relatives do not want to have too much computer hardware visibly standing around. With the smaller case I was able to put it behind their TV screen on a board.

I am curious. What disks are you using exactly, in which setup and what filesystem? Did you do some performance testing? I only have the RPi4 Compute Module SSD experience.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What disks are you using exactly, in which setup and what filesystem?

4TB WD Red Pro all formatted XFS. The 4TB drives in my main server are formatted EXT4. I do that so if there is some kind of update that corrupts data, it only hits one of the servers.

Did you do some performance testing?

They will saturate gigabit. Since each disk is its only filesystem, the cm4/sata card can hit one drives max (probably 180-190).

I only have the RPi4 Compute Module SSD experience.

I've tested the CM4 (OC'd to 2GHz) with nvme. Right around 300MB/s if I remember right.

Just using an available computer tower and the power supply is a good way to power the HDDs and put (maybe) already available hardware to a use.

I started to build it in an old qnap ts451 case but that was a pain and only held 4 drives. I had these parts laying around and I have plenty of room in my server closet.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Zitat

The article itself is paid content, but it is worth it, as it contains the built specifically for OMV including a detailed step by step guide. If you want to to do an OMV build based on the RPi 4 Compute Module, I recommend this read.

Thanks I have a "normal" 4GB + 8GB Ram still at Home but not a 2GB, Compute Module.

Zitat

If you are an english speaker

I speak fluent Austrian, English is my 2nd Language. ;)

Zitat
    Code
    4-Port SATA Controller Card Marvel 9215

I have still a commercial "LSI" now Broadcom Raid Controller with Cache, Accu,... does the is support to?
    I try to find a List of compatible products but sadly the Website is a litlebit easy build.

Zitat

The power supply should have 12V and at least 1500mA, depending on what peripherals and disks you include. Take care that it provides a plug supply that allows a connection to the IO board. I first did took a different one, and needed to switch later.

I have enough Pc Power Supply at Home why not use them? The benefit is the are enclosed and safe to use.

Zitat

I built one too.

Jeff Geerling - YouTube that Guy claim that "soon" some other, better,... Adapter, Module,... for the Compute Module are available.

Zitat

as these computer towers need so much space.

Well it hardly depend what you have, get, buy. There are some very thiny and dense packed Pcs.

Zitat

What disks are you using exactly, in which setup and what filesystem?

I have some HDD "ripped out" of an external enclosure bought from Germany since the have no HDD Tax and the are damn cheap there.

I dont know what the are inside right now. I personally dont care about the speed that much. The important stuff will be on a USB 3.0 SSD.

Zitat

and I have plenty of room in my server closet.

Well I looking for someone who is <350cm. Sadly the are slightly longer:

https://www.jj-computer.com/ar…RIE=&SPECIAL=1&SSPECIAL=1

and not fit into my Network Rack Case. :sleeping:

How about: https://www.qnap.com/de-de/product/tr-004u/specs/hardware to use them with an "normal" Pi4 via USB 3.0?

Are that supported?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The major question is does a 4GB Pi work to with the Beta Version?

A 1GB RPi should work.

• The major question is does a 4GB Pi work to with the Beta Version?

If you mean the Beta version of RaspiOS (arm64) then, yes.

The Pi runs it nicely and the OS (even if it's on BETA stage) gives no issues whatsoever with OMV5.

Follow the guide for installing OMV5 on Raspberry but use the arm64 Lite instead of the armhf:

installing_omv5_raspberry_pi [omv-extras.org]

• Offizieller Beitrag

"Sadly" I have just a 4 and a 8 Gb one at Home.

So, you have no problems. Those will work even better than 1 GB model.

• That is was it make me a littlebit worried.

Yeah, but 64bit version has been as BETA since ever. And for the looks of it, it will keep as BETA for even longer.

The Raspberry foundation is more interested on the armhf version because of the "one size fits all" policy.

The armhf (32Bits) will run on all Pis, from Zero to 4.

The aarch64 only on Pi 3 and 4.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The aarch64 only on Pi 3 and 4.

An RPi2b v1.2 has the same cpu as the RPi3 and will run 64bit aarch64/arm64. One of my RPi2 is this version.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!