Best way to run OMV on Proxmox VE

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a way to pass the virtual disk so OMV can use it as-is

If you pass a virtual disk, that is a block device and the guest will have to put a filesystem on it. If you pass a filesystem through, it should work as-is but you typically can't access it from the host while the guest is running.

Is there a reason you don't want to use OMV+kvm? It fits your goal (from what I can tell) better than any passthrough option.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Is there a reason you don't want to use OMV+kvm? It fits your goal (from what I can tell) better than any passthrough option.

I plan on having many VMs (Windows, Linux, OSX). I rather use a dedicated hypervisor. I still need to host SMB and NFS shares for those VMs plus the other computers/devices on my network.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I plan on having many VMs (Windows, Linux, OSX). I rather use a dedicated hypervisor.

Let me tell you a little story... haha. I am a VMware admin of thousands of VMs by day. So, I know very well what is needed to run lots of VMs. I have 30+ running at home sometimes.

If you install OMV 6.x, the proxmox kernel using the kernel plugin, and the kvm plugin, you end up with the proxmox 5.19 kernel, Debian 11 userland, and KVM VMs.

If you install Proxmox 7.x, you end up with the proxmox 5.15 kernel, Debian 11 userland, and KVM VMs.

Proxmox is not anymore of a dedicated hypervisor than OMV+kvm plugin. I actually converted my proxmox 4.x or 5.x install into OMV because they are so close.

I even wrote a script that will very easily create a mac VM for the kvm plugin. Just change the variables at the top to get the right VM details.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Hello

I'm right now stuck with OMV 5, and my initial idea until i read your post, was to change everything. Install proxmox, install omv in a VM and passtrought all my disks. I know this works, but, loose the SMART that monitors my disks and that is important. The other thing that i want was to have a dedicated vm to put my docker containers, right now i have it natively on my omv5 and wrks great. But if i create a vm and put all my docker images on it i will be stuck again, end road for me. If my disks are on the OMV it will be hard to access them.

So i'm a little bit lost here.

After reading your post, i like the idea, but a serious question come up, since the oldest versions of OMV. Do i need to pass for all this when update to a major release. Because belive me, its not a straighforward process and i end up always on installing all from the beginning.

Another issue is with VM, i have some, like 15 inside OMV, and i took a whole week to make them work, because i use vms with a static lan ip of my lan network, gosh i read so much files to make this thinkg work, it was a pain in the ass, and i now when i update this release all that may be gone.

So gain i'm a little bit lost on what to do.

Some advice ppl will be great.

Regard everyone

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do i need to pass for all this when update to a major release. Because belive me, its not a straighforward process and i end up always on installing all from the beginning.

Another issue is with VM, i have some, like 15 inside OMV, and i took a whole week to make them work, because i use vms with a static lan ip of my lan network, gosh i read so much files to make this thinkg work, it was a pain in the ass, and i now when i update this release all that may be gone.

It would be interesting to see what your problems were because it has always been a straight forward process for me. Like I mentioned, my main server went from proxmox 4.x -> 5.x -> 6.x to OMV 5.x -> 6.x. Without a fresh install.

And why did it take a week to create static IP'd VMs? Did you create a bridge interface at the OMV level and then use it for the VMs? The kvm guide tells you how to do this.

• It would be interesting to see what your problems were because it has always been a straight forward process for me. Like I mentioned, my main server went from proxmox 4.x -> 5.x -> 6.x to OMV 5.x -> 6.x. Without a fresh install.

And why did it take a week to create static IP'd VMs? Did you create a bridge interface at the OMV level and then use it for the VMs? The kvm guide tells you how to do this.

I'm sorry ryecoaaron

I'm not a linux expert, i do have a need to dig-in to find my solutions. And yes it took a whole week to understand how to do it.

Can you please send it to me.

Regarding the rest of the post wha do you think

What's your opinion on how should i do achieve the results i need.

And by the way is any striaghforward guide to migrate to the latest version?

• Offizieller Beitrag

kvm guide - [How-To] Use the Openmediavault-KVM plugin

Regarding the rest of the post wha do you think

What's your opinion on how should i do achieve the results i need.

I'm not sure what else you need. Run OMV 6.x with the kvm plugin should do everything you need.

And by the way is any striaghforward guide to migrate to the latest version?

There are lots of threads on it. Did you search? Is there a guide to in place upgrade? You can search for omv-release-upgrade to find many more.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I run all of my docker containers in a VM

What is the reason for doing this?

Convenience to make backups? Maybe a security issue that I'm not aware of? Others...?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the reason for doing this?

Convenience to make backups? Maybe a security issue that I'm not aware of? Others...?

It is more secure.

It is easier to backup.

But the real reason is I just haven't moved them to the host OS after running proxmox for so long.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But the real reason is I just haven't moved them to the host OS after running proxmox for so long.

So I guess I won't bother moving them to a vm myself ^^ Thank you

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!