Best way to run OMV on Proxmox VE

• Hi all!

Sorry for the NOOB question.

I actually have a TrueNAS-12.0-STABLE runing bare metal installed in a mirrored SSDs and with 6 disk in a RAIDZ2 + 1 disk for SLOG pool for data.

I want to migrate this to a Proxmox VE server and have this pool serve Proxmox VMs and Containers and also have some shares to my VMs data (Plex data, NVR data, ...)

I want to keep my ZFS RAIDZ2 with SLOG

As far as I understand Proxmox can handle ZFS native as well as OMV.

What's the best way of doing that? Have the ZFS pool setup on Proxmox and set a mount point for OMV VM or install proxmox in a mirrored SSD and passthrough 6 disks+SLOG to OMV and have OMV to manage ZFS pool?

If I passthrough the disks to OMV will Proxmox be able to store VMs and Containers on OMV ZFS pool? Is there any performance issues in this setup?

Is there any performance or any other issues running OMV in a container on Proxmox instead of VM?

What's the best approach to this?

kind regards

• Offizieller Beitrag

What's the best way of doing that?

That is the million dollar question.

The situation isn't unique to running OMV as a VM. FreeNAS/TrueNAS/whatever the hell it is called now would still have the same issue.

If you pass the disks through to OMV, then you would have to serve the space back to proxmox using nfs or tgt. If the VM isn't running, that is weird.

If you create large virtual hard drives for the OMV VM, then proxmox loses space and it is difficult to take it back. Proxmox cannot access the files on those drives directly and would need nfs shared to it.

If you enable nfs on proxmox (via command line, this is what I do), then you can mount the nfs shares on OMV. But if you have nfs enabled on proxmox, you may not need OMV.

Is there any performance or any other issues running OMV in a container on Proxmox instead of VM?

OMV does not work in containers. If it did, the container wouldn't cause performance issues any more than anything else running in a container since containers have very little overhead.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Proxmox has many more features and versatility than OMV. Why limit yourself?

While I agree, proxmox is not a fileserver. So, it makes sense that you don't want to configure samba and/or nfs by hand on proxmox.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• gwrosenbaum: If I may add just my 2cents: Would it not be an option and do the opposite as you inititally stipulated? I have similar requirements as you, and feel very happy using OMV as base system, with all disks and shares under its control, and then running in KVM several machines which I either let access shares, or created dynamic qcow2-files within a share? Many other features of Proxmox I did not feel the need to utilize anyway. By the way, I do not even use the Proxmox-kernel anymore, but run the standard backport kernels, which do a great job (if I am wrong regarding the kernel, I am happy to be corrected from the community here).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Both can be used in the way that works for you. For my money Proxmox is likely more stable than OMV. Not a knock to OMV by any means. Make a list of pro's and cons and do what works best for you.

Proxmox: Pro, Team (large ?) of developers. Con, commercial company and could change at their wim. See centos. Pro: lots of users in production around the world.

OMV: Pro, Free and open with community support. Con, One main developer with some help from community.

I have been using OMV since the early days and love it. Moving it to a vm on Proxmox was the best thing I did. Your mileage may very.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For my money Proxmox is likely more stable than OMV. Not a knock to OMV by any means.

If you run the proxmox kernel on OMV, then you have identical userland and kernel as proxmox since proxmox 6.x is Debian 10 too. So, there might be some weird issues with the OMV web interface but the stability should be identical.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am not sure what Proxmox tweaks but I would bet it is more than just the kernel.

There are a few other things like zfs and grub (you can see the packages here - http://download.proxmox.com/de…ubscription/binary-amd64/) but most of the differences are just the proxmox services themselves. The packages that are difference actually get installed on an OMV system when you install the proxmox kernel. So, the core stability should be nearly identical.

Here are the packages installed on your OMV system from the proxmox repo when you install the proxmox kernel.

dmeventd

dmsetup

grub-common

grub-pc

grub-pc-bin

grub2-common

ifupdown

libdevmapper-event1.02.1:amd64

libdevmapper1.02.1:amd64

liblvm2cmd2.03:amd64

libspice-server1:amd64

lvm2

pve-firmware

pve-headers

pve-headers-5.4

pve-headers-5.4.78-2-pve

pve-kernel-5.4

pve-kernel-5.4.55-1-pve

pve-kernel-5.4.65-1-pve

pve-kernel-5.4.78-2-pve

smartmontools

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just saying.

Sorry but that was Debian's change that caused that by changing the zfs packages and dependencies. Your system would've been broken even if you didn't have the proxmox kernel installed.

And Debian releasing the 5.10 kernel while the 0.8.6 zfs packages (which are not compatible with the 5.10 kernel), screwed up peoples systems as well. So, that is twice the proxmox system didn't have an issue and better stability than Debian...

• I meant to manage the disks with proxmox and shares etc on OMV as a vm. Easy to give OMV disk space as required.

donh Can you please tell more about this setup? Are you useing NFS on proxmox and connect it to OMV or just use big dynamic qcow2 file for OMV and extend as more space needed?

• Offizieller Beitrag

donh Can you please tell more about this setup? Are you useing NFS on proxmox and connect it to OMV or just use big dynamic qcow2 file for OMV and extend as more space needed?

There are many choices for how to setup proxmox (or openmediavault-kvm plugin) and OMV. Choose what is best for you. I chose proxmox long before the plugin was available so I have not used it. But it looks interesting.

Here is how I set it up. I installed proxmox. Choose the type of storage that fits your needs. I chose zfs but many others are available. Then I installed OMV with a single small virtual disk. Make sure to optimize the hardware and options to match your machine.
    You can choose the proxmox kernel if desired. After it was up and running I assigned virtual disks to OMV as required. Then setup the services I wanted. The nice thing is then the new disks are controlled by OMV but are part of snapshots on proxmox.

As I said "openmediavault-kvm plugin" may provide many of these features. I would be testing both if setting it up today. Good luck.

• There are many choices for how to setup proxmox (or openmediavault-kvm plugin) and OMV. Choose what is best for you. I chose proxmox long before the plugin was available so I have not used it. But it looks interesting.

Here is how I set it up. I installed proxmox. Choose the type of storage that fits your needs. I chose zfs but many others are available. Then I installed OMV with a single small virtual disk. Make sure to optimize the hardware and options to match your machine.
    You can choose the proxmox kernel if desired. After it was up and running I assigned virtual disks to OMV as required. Then setup the services I wanted. The nice thing is then the new disks are controlled by OMV but are part of snapshots on proxmox.

As I said "openmediavault-kvm plugin" may provide many of these features. I would be testing both if setting it up today. Good luck.

Hello. I came across thread when looking for optimal ways to setup a OMV VM in Proxmox. Your setup sounds like what I would like to do and I have some questions.

1. During my research, I have seen mainly (2) recommendations. 1.) Pass-through individual drives or an HBA card to OMV. 2.) Create a ZFS pool in Proxmox and assign virtual disk to OMV. Correct me if I am wrong, but you are doing option #2, correct? You mention a one Pro doing this method, snapshots. Any other Pros/Cons over option #1?

2. When setting up a ZFS pool managed by Proxmox, does Proxmox monitor it? (SMART errors) I assume if you pass a virtual disk to OMV VM, OMV cannot monitor the drive.

3. Any issues running docker containers inside of OMV VM? I assume everything works the same.

• Offizieller Beitrag

#3 question

I run all of my docker containers in a VM. You won't have any problems doing that. You could just run OMV on the host with the zfs plugin and use the kvm plugin for VMs. No need to pass anything through and OMV would monitoring smart.

• I run all of my docker containers in a VM. You won't have any problems doing that. You could just run OMV on the host with the zfs plugin and use the kvm plugin for VMs. No need to pass anything through and OMV would monitoring smart.

Do you mean run OMV bare metal with the zfs plugin?

I have another question regarding Proxmox managing ZFS, when pass virtual disk to OMV, what file system does OMV use? I assume this would create a file system inside of a file system (Proxmox ZFS - OMV ext4) or (Proxmox ZFS - OMV ZFS if using the zfs plugin).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you mean run OMV bare metal with the zfs plugin?

Yep. I ran proxmox for years. But the storage issue was always a problem. So, I wrote the kvm plugin. I am even testing a version of the kvm plugin that has lxc features. So, there is little omv+kvm plugin can't do that proxmox can. Clustering is one of those things.

I have another question regarding Proxmox managing ZFS, when pass virtual disk to OMV, what file system does OMV use? I assume this would create a file system inside of a file system (Proxmox ZFS - OMV ext4) or (Proxmox ZFS - OMV ZFS if using the zfs plugin).

Depends on how you do it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!