Microsoft repo installed on all Raspberry Pi’s

• Those of us who are considering installing, or already run the scripted installation of OMV5 on Raspberry Pi, be advised that if you used/use Raspberry Pi OS (formerly Raspbian) as base OS for OMV install, you may now have a Microsoft repository installed.

See Microsoft repo installed on all Raspberry Pi’s-reddit thread and first comment there on why you may care and how to take actions on preventing/removing the said repo.

I can confirm that my OMV5 installation on Raspberry PI OS (using the previously mentioned scripted installation) had indeed the repository added without my knowledge. Edit: as mentioned below, this has nothing to do with the OMV installation script itself.

• geaves

Approved the thread.
  • I have approved this but before anyone jumps off the deep end this is from raspberrypi.org

So before this gets into scare mongering read the link!!

And remember the RPi was initially created for dev purposes the fact that it has evolved makes no difference.

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

• Those of us who are considering installing, or already run the scripted installation of OMV5 on Raspberry Pi, be advised that if you used/use Raspberry Pi OS (formerly Raspbian) as base OS for OMV install, you may now have a Microsoft repository installed.

As geaves mentioned, this is not the work of OMV or the install script. I just updated and RPi without OMV and it still adds the repo. I did add lines to remove the repo in the install script (https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…d09b107c917c0480cfc021a48) because OMV should not have a desktop environment installed making vsCode pretty useless. Future updates may add it back but I think the methods to prevent it from coming back are bit extreme. Just having the repo on your system doesn't install anything. I didn't do this because Microsoft is evil (I don't like Windows). Microsoft does own github and contributes a shit ton to open source now...

I can confirm that my OMV5 installation on Raspberry PI OS (using the previously mentioned scripted installation) had indeed the repository added without my knowledge.

Please stop blaming OMV and the install script. They have nothing to do with this. Raspberry Pi OS will remain the recommended OS for OMV installs on RPis because it works very well.

omv 6.0.5-2 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.13 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 6.0.4 | kvm plugin 6.0
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Please stop blaming OMV and the install script.

Apologies. Intention was not to bash the OMV5 scripted installation, and I do realize now my message came out wrong (not native English speaker). The intention was to simply convey what's going on so that people can take the necessary action (if any). That said, the link added by geaves is also informal so people can form an opinion about this.

• After looking at the raspberrypi-sys-mods package code, I decided to truncate the file instead of removing it. This will add the empty file but that is what it takes to prevent the repo from being added. No need to chattr -i this file or apt-mark hold the package (which would prevent ever getting more updates of that package).

omv 6.0.5-2 Shaitan | 64 bit | 5.13 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 6.0.4 | kvm plugin 6.0

• After looking at the raspberrypi-sys-mods package code, I decided to truncate the file instead of removing it. This will add the empty file but that is what it takes to prevent the repo from being added. No need to chattr -i this file or apt-mark hold the package (which would prevent ever getting more updates of that package).

Could this be the reason for VScode "remote development" install script to fail?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/bl…-with-visual-studio-code/ was published yesterday.

Some time ago I had a beta version up and running but the stable version fails to install

error log:

omv 5.6.21-1 (usul) on RPi4/4GB with Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 6TB HDD formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• I first read about the MS repo a week or so after my first OS Lite installation, then OMV installation via the script on RPi2B. Checked the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list file. It existed, but it was empty already.

Then a couple of days ago I installed OS via the same image and OMV via the same script on my brand new RPi4 and the same situation - vscode.list file is empty.

So I don't think it's a script.

• Could this be the reason for VScode "remote development" install script to fail?

What does the OMV install script have to do with the RPi vscode install script for desktops? I haven't installed vscode or an rpi desktop in a long time. So, I have no idea.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!