Ipad as display for headless server

• Crazy idea: has anyone ever used an Ipad (pro) as an ad-hoc display for a headless server? Since I only require a display once per year for maintenance via CLI, it would be an elegant solution if I could just plug in the Ipad via an VGA adapter.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

OMV5 on ProLiant N54L (AMD CPU)

• Offizieller Beitrag

has anyone ever used an Ipad (pro) as an ad-hoc display for a headless server?

While you will probably need a monitor connected but not powered on (or a video dummy plug), you could install the teamviewer-host plugin and use the teamviewer app on the ipad to do exactly this.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I need a local, physical connection to see the boot process live as it gets stuck sometimes. Currently I have to carry around a 20'' monitor and connect everything for a 10min CLI job. So I was thinking instead I could plug in an Ipad via VGA if that works.

Any experience?

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• Offizieller Beitrag

So I was thinking instead I could plug in an Ipad via VGA if that works.

Any experience?

You want ipmi/ilo/out of band management. This is a very common server feature. I don't know of anything that could connect an ipad to vga. I have seen projects that use an rpi to create ipmi for a server that doesn't have it. But this seems like overkill for something that shouldn't be happening (stuck boot process).

• yes, ipmi etc is too sophisticated. I have 2 servers that get stuck sometimes but rarely. And for that I would like to plug in the Ipad if possible:

1) Proliant Microserver: When I reboot the boot order defaults to HD or NIC while my OMV is on a USB stick. I have to manually change the Bios to USB in order to boot. Might be a Bios error but it never stays on USB Boot.

2) Rpi4 server: overclocking sometimes stops the boot, so I need to intercept manually and reboot.

OMV6 i5-based PC

OMV6 on Raspberry Pi4

• What are the reasons for overclocking your RPi4?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sounds like you need better cooling on the RPi if you are going to overclock.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!