smbd process_usershare_file filling the logs

• I'm getting this message over and over and over...

Using the OMV interface, I recently removed a share by the name of drv700g. Looking in the location /var/lib/samba/usershares, it's empty. there's no reference to any other shares I have on this machine. I also read here that :

Zitat

The error message from "process_usershare_file" is very misleading, and is related to user_shares, that are intended to allow a local user logged on to the GUI to share folders with others workstations, windows-style. This setting is completely irrelevant on dedicated samba servers (where nobody ever works at the local console) but is unfortunately on by default on most distros, and often causes spurious errors like these.

To be clear, I know he's not talking about the OMV gui. I didn't do any CLI hacking, just some 'looking' at things like smb.conf and this usershares. All Samba changes were through the OMV GUI...

Anybody have any thoughts?

Mark D

OMV6.1.0 upgraded from 5 on a Core2Duo

mergerfs & snapraid

Docker for urbackup, omada controller, adguard.

• Ah, good question... I removed from SMB share, but not from Shared Folders. I was trying to get to the point that the Shared Folder was showing as not referenced before I remove it. Ultimately, I plan to pull this failing drive...

From the "In Use" table:

Says it's no longer referenced...

Mark D

mergerfs & snapraid

• Offizieller Beitrag

Says it's no longer referenced...

That's why I asked and I also checked my own /var/lib etc mine is also empty, the only suggestion I can think of is to re add it to SMB, save then apply, then remove it, confirm then apply, reboot......or try a reboot and see if that takes care of it.

Must admit not seen this one before.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The only other option is to check the config.xml in /etc/openmediavault search for smb the shares will be in there with <share> at the beginning and </share> at the end of each share.

But before you edit it make a back up somewhere or download it so you have a copy to restore.

• Thanks for the ideas, geaves . Unfortunately, no luck. I re added to SMB, the logging spam stopped. But when I deleted it again, the spam returned. Upon reboot, it was still spamming the logs. Finally, I took out the Shared Folder of that name, STILL spamming the log. Checked config.xml, no reference to drv700g. (I never tried to directly edit this file, btw)

Somewhere, there's still something looking for that damn thing! 😂

This is interesting... Not sure how I would do it without OMV overwriting it.

https://github.com/gdiepen/volume-sharer/issues/4

Oh crud, here it is. 😖 embarassing search fail...

process_usershare_file: stat of /var/lib/samba/usershares failed

Seems to have worked. Fingers crossed.

Mark D

mergerfs & snapraid

• Offizieller Beitrag

Seems to have worked. Fingers crossed.

Well done :thumbup: TBH I never thought to search for the specific error, I found this the section Advanced Configuration explains it's use. It seems to function if a user is added to the sambashare group, in OMV I have never needed to do this, but when I ran an Ubuntu server I had too otherwise the user could not get write access.

The only extra options I use now is mangled names

• I usually do search for the error as specifically as I can. This time I know I did it via the google, but apparently I didn't do it well enough on this board!

Thanks for thinking this through with me. After reading a bit on the adv config, I wonder... one time I turned on the "home directories" feature in OMV SMB config panel, but later turned it off. I wonder that switch used this smb usershares feature in some way and didn't clean it up when I turned it off.

Mark D

mergerfs & snapraid

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!