I can access SMB shares remotelly, but I can't access them locally via console or Docker

• Abstract (TL;DR):

I can indeed undoubtely and completely access (read, write, create, delete) files and folders hosted in my Raspberry Pi 4 install of OMV 5.5.23-1 (Usul) that are shared through my LAN by SMB. I can access them remotely from a Windows machine and an Ubuntu virtual machine in the same PC (haven't tried other computers). These shares are all in an external USB HD.

The problem is that when I SSH into that Raspberry Pi, I can only see some of those folders and some of those files. No mather if I login as pi or as sudo -i . Also, my Docker containers don't seem to be able to find their folders and files there either.

Full story:

First, I'm kind of new at Linux.

I've been using OMV on this Raspberry Pi for more than a year, with this external USB HD and these Docker containers with some services (OpenVPN, Transmission, Emby, Pi-Hole, MotionEye). Now that I finally acquired a decent power source, I decided to rebuild this server that had been restored and backed up every couple of weeks, every time the SD was crashed beyound readability.

At first everything was going right. The mounts and shares were all easely configured through the web interface and were all working. The problem started when I tried redeploying the containers. They were redeployed with exactly the same docker-compose script (I backed it up before the wipe). Although all the containers installed successfully, none of them seems to have found their configurations and files, which are all in that external HD.

After banging my head continuously against Google, I noticed the real Twilight Zone (at least in my nooby point of view): Although all the files and folders that I shared with SMB are still fully accessible remotely, when SSH'ing into the Raspberry, I can only see some (not all, not none) of these folders and files. Doesn't matter if I go into root access (sudo -i). I tried chown -R pi:pi these folders, still no joy.

Can someone help me?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The problem started when I tried redeploying the containers. They were redeployed with exactly the same docker-compose script (I backed it up before the wipe). Although all the containers installed successfully, none of them seems to have found their configurations and files,

Not a good idea using old configs for containers, making copies of each of the stacks is the right approach but when it comes to /config within the container the best approach is to delete the old configs on the host thereby allowing the newly deployed container to create a new one.

when SSH'ing into the Raspberry, I can only see some (not all, not none) of these folders and files

:/ files and folders are accessible from within each mountpoint, (absolute path) /srv/dev-disk-blah-blah.

• Not a good idea using old configs for containers, making copies of each of the stacks is the right approach but when it comes to /config within the container the best approach is to delete the old configs on the host thereby allowing the newly deployed container to create a new one.

Ok, seems I'll have to do that once the spooky problem is resolved.

:/ files and folders are accessible from within each mountpoint, (absolute path) /srv/dev-disk-blah-blah.

Hmmm... You are into something here: When I browse the mountpoint /srv/dev-disk-by-label-blah-blah, the files and folders are incomplete. But if I browse /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-blah-blah, the files and folders do indeed show up, apparently completely (would have to ckeck with some tool).

• Offizieller Beitrag

As you are using a RPi the norm is to login as the pi user, but because you use W10, 2 things you could install is WinSCP and Notepad ++, but for WinSCP you will need to access OMV as root.

To do that ssh into OMV as you have been doing using the pi user then run sudo passwd root enter a password then again to confirm, you can then login/use WinSCP as the root user. Notepad ++ is an editor, install it and point WinSCP's editor to Notepad ++

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!