Fresh install of Windows 10 and OMV SMB refuses to work

• I have just install a fresh copy of OMV version 5.5.23-1 and Windows on 3 machines one being Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 build 19042.789 the other two being Windows Service 2019 Datacenter Version 1809 build 17763.1728. I am using 4 hard drives from a previous install of OMV that have mdadm raid1 arrays on them. I have moved these drive may times in the past so much so that I have made notes on the exact steps to setup to move and reinstall OMV and I follow them to the T every time without issues. Not this time. Drives are accessible to every device on the network (linux PC, android devices) but these new windows 10/ Server machines. I can ping and login to the admin page of OMV on them but no SMB/CIFS access. In file explorer I can select Network and it can see the OMV server but if I attempt to access it it just loads till it errors out and says the share is not accessible.

I'm thinking there is some for of authentication issue but I require assistance to determine the exact cause and resolution.

has anyone else experienced this or any any suggestions to help me diagnose this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

In file explorer I can select Network and it can see the OMV server but if I attempt to access it it just loads till it errors out and says the share is not accessible

Try the ip address of OMV or it's hostname + domain (if you've set one) if not try .local, in the address bar \\<ip address of omv> or \\<hostname of omv.local or .domain name>

• I have done an absurd amount of testing with shares. Including setting up VMs with OMV and Windows.. in all the setup I do I can not get the two to communicate even though any linux OS i set up have zero issues accessing OMV or Windows shares and vise versa. Its as though I have some kind of protocol issue. Like SMBv2 vs SMBv3 but my knowledge on that is to limited

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have done an absurd amount of testing with shares

We've all been there some more than, the guide is meant to be idiot proof without being condescending.

As far as Linux is concerned is you got a request for a username and password but it failed, have you tried adding your W10 username and password to OMV, the user gets added to the user group as default, you can also add the user to the sambashare group, that might help.

• I have set the used name and password to match that of the Windows PCs (This is have done in the past without issues.) I also added the user in to the sambashare group right from the start on the physical machine but not on all the VM's I have created trying to test.. some I have some I have not. Results mostly the same.

• Windows 10 disabled support for some smb client versions. You probably need to enable these versions. I remember several threads with the same issue and also someone posting a link. So search the forum. But every search engine should help you too.

• Another option purely to test add ntlm auth = yes to SMB extra options

Holly ^$&^%.... I just came back to update what worked for me and realized your suggestion is exactly what I just did to solve the issue. How did you know to do this?

Why is this now needed when it was not in the past? What changed OMV or Windows? How has no one else had this issue?

• Offizieller Beitrag

How did you know to do this

It was a very old thread on here, but I have used MS servers, W7 clients and OMV in the same domain without issue, but this was a few years ago.

Personally at home, I don't have problem, W10 laptops, iOS, Kodi, Pi-Hole, W10 workstation have always worked, I never wrote that guide I refenced, but I go through each option as second nature.

I have shares allocated for movies etc, share for me, share for the wife, but they all function.

That ntlm option came about from a user trying to get access from his MS server to OMV, whilst he had set up his users on OMV using say their first name rather than name@domainame to login and authenticate to the DC. This worked, but he was logging into the server as administrator, that's the local admin for the DC, but he tried adding administrator to the users on OMV but of course it failed. By adding ntlm it worked, but what he should have done was to create a user on the DC and that user to the domain admin group as well as the local admin, then use that user to add to OMV.

Sorry that was a bit long, but basically you're using Lan Manager for authentication, not the most secure option but there's no point in it'll just give you a headache :)

BTW I tagged the use who created that guide, he might have another idea.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Holly ^$&^%.... I just came back to update what worked for me and realized your suggestion is exactly what I just did to solve the issue. How did you know to do this?

Are you fixed and happy, or do we need to go into this further?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would prefer a better method but it will do for now

Working is working. We could go into it more, but ntlm is being used as a local authentication protocol. If you're not exposing your server's ports to the internet (at the router), there's little to nothing to worry about. It's your Win10 clients that are the real security concern.

• This is pushing past my knowledge level and I don't fully understand why this method works or why it is not right. Just that I changed something to do with authentication which doesn't seem like a good idea when you don't fully understand something. I may still pursue this further but needed to access my files and step away to clear my head for a bit. So what your saying is that windows is using a graded authentication method or OMV is?

• Offizieller Beitrag

crashtest and I have been discussing this in a PM, I have used MS Servers in a domain environment, but I've also had OMV within that same domain, but I never used domain authentication to access OMV, but this is getting too technical.

We have come up with a possible theory, neither of us have any extra options in OMV's SMB settings, we believe that is because we use local accounts to login to our W10 machines. Standard install and set up of W10 wants you to use an MS account to login, this can be changed later to a PIN.

W10 Pro does not require any Lan Manager setting changes as they are not set anyway, but this can be a problem for Enterprise, Education and most flavours of MS server software.

So question to you is do you login to your W10 Pro with a local account or an MS account or PIN.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!