Slow transfer speed to USB 3 hdd

• I have a usb3 hdd powered by the pi4 and two 3.5 inch data disks in a Orico usb3 enclosure that is self powered. All disks are ext4. The omv pi4 is wired to the router via 1 gbit ethernet

However I only get 5 mbps read and write speed to any disk from a Windows machine also connected to the router via power line. Would it be worth using a switch instead of a router? What wider could cause the slow speed? I can get 50 mbps Internet up the power line to the windows machine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Orico usb3

Not a good choice, these units have a habit of going to sleep and can be difficult to wake up.

Would it be worth using a switch instead of a router

Yes, those Plusnet Hubs are seriously old tech and it would be no surprise to me that the connections on the router are in a hub set up rather than a switch.

via power line

Major bottleneck even if the power line is labelled as 1GB the most you will get is just over 100MB connection that brings down the transfer rate to around 10MB.

I was using power lines up until 6 months ago, now after some planning and up and down to the loft I have Ethernet where I need it.

• Tested my network with iperf3. From my phone to the Pi4 I get 200MBit/s (standing next to router). From my PC upstairs I get 50 MBit/s via old powerline plugs rated at 200MBit/s. Ordered new AV1200 plugs so hopefully I can get it up to about 200 MBit/s as per the reviews of these new plug. Don't fancy the hassle of routing ethernet cables upstairs :(

Not had a problem with the Orico USB3 enclosure sleeping/waking.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not had a problem with the Orico USB3 enclosure sleeping/waking

Well that's something :) others have seen these go to sleep, BTW if you ever want to replace your Plusnet One Hub I just might have a BT HH5 :)

Ordered new AV1200 plugs so hopefully I can get it up to about 200 MBit/s as per the reviews of these new plug

Still reliant on your house wiring, most houses will have 2 ring mains, 1 upstairs, 1 down so it has to go through your distribution board, but see how it goes.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!